The Student Room Group

Better A levels than predicted and reapplying to Oxbridge next year

Hi,

This year I've had a bit of a struggle with depression and it has severely impacted my performance. I'm starting to get over it, but my ASs are already here and I most definitely will underperform. I know I'm capable of getting all As but that isn't going to happen. I want to apply for medicine. If my AS grades are too low to apply to medicine but not low enough for me to have to resit the year, and my predicted grades are also quite low, but I turn it around and get all As and A*s at A level, can I take a gap year and apply for medicine at good unis like UCL and Oxbridge? Would this count as doing A levels in 2 years. I'm not sure I can get extenuating circumstances by the way. I've seen a GP and they didn't quite understand the extent of my problem.
Reply 1
Original post by Cyan Ink
, but I turn it around and get all As and A*s at A level, can I take a gap year and apply for medicine at good unis like UCL and Oxbridge? Would this count as doing A levels in 2 years. I'm not sure I can get extenuating circumstances by the way. I've seen a GP and they didn't quite understand the extent of my problem.

You will have studied for 2 years, so that's fine.

Many medics apply with a gap year, and can be strong candidates. Especially if they are using that year to improve the relevant work experience part of their application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cyan Ink
Hi,

This year I've had a bit of a struggle with depression and it has severely impacted my performance. I'm starting to get over it, but my ASs are already here and I most definitely will underperform. I know I'm capable of getting all As but that isn't going to happen. I want to apply for medicine. If my AS grades are too low to apply to medicine but not low enough for me to have to resit the year, and my predicted grades are also quite low, but I turn it around and get all As and A*s at A level, can I take a gap year and apply for medicine at good unis like UCL and Oxbridge? Would this count as doing A levels in 2 years. I'm not sure I can get extenuating circumstances by the way. I've seen a GP and they didn't quite understand the extent of my problem.

Just need to issue a word of caution here. Applications to Medicine and Oxbridge are extremely over subscribed. Just be aware it is very possible you might get rejected however good your grades. .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending