The Student Room Group

Reapplying for law

My a level results came out a few days ago and I was originally predicted an A*/A/B (and an A in my EPQ) but I ended up getting A*A*B with an A in my EPQ. I have decided to reapply next year but when I applied to Warwick for law with my predicted grades as a contextual I was rejected. If I reapply next year with these achieved grades and being a contextual student, are they likely to reject me again? Are these achieved grades good enough to get into a top RG uni?
Original post by Sithdasimp
My a level results came out a few days ago and I was originally predicted an A*/A/B (and an A in my EPQ) but I ended up getting A*A*B with an A in my EPQ. I have decided to reapply next year but when I applied to Warwick for law with my predicted grades as a contextual I was rejected. If I reapply next year with these achieved grades and being a contextual student, are they likely to reject me again? Are these achieved grades good enough to get into a top RG uni?

Maybe Warwick rejected you because of the B? Considering that the standard offer is AAA. However, you should have a shot at top universities with those A-levels, make the other parts of your application shine to hide the B. What offers did you get this year?
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
Maybe Warwick rejected you because of the B? Considering that the standard offer is AAA. However, you should have a shot at top universities with those A-levels, make the other parts of your application shine to hide the B. What offers did you get this year?

it could be but I thought since I was a contextual they would lower the grade to like an AAB instead of AAA, also I feel like they also rejected me because it was predicted grades which are usually inflated and maybe with these better grades that I’ve already achieved I would have a better chance at getting in. I got an offer from Sheffield this year which is a really good uni and got in but I decided I didn’t really want to go there again so I’m reapplying.
Reply 3
Congratulations on your results! Which subjects were each grade in? Have you checked that you meet Warwicks specific requirements for contextual offers for law and any GCSE requirements they may have?
it could be but I thought since I was a contextual they would lower the grade to like an AAB instead of AAA, also I feel like they also rejected me because it was predicted grades which are usually inflated and maybe with these better grades that I’ve already achieved I would have a better chance at getting in. I got an offer from Sheffield this year which is a really good uni and got in but I decided I didn’t really want to go there again so I’m reapplying.

Perhaps, I know Warwick was super competitive in terms of applications this year though. You're definitely right that those achieved grades should give you a better chance though. Sheffield is a great university for law (was researching it a day before results), but at the same time with A*A*B it's reasonable to try for Warwick. Have you tried getting the B remarked? If you get that B to an A you could have a chance with Oxbridge and such.
Reply 5
Thank you! I got an A*in Law and business, and a B in English language with the A in my Epq. I checked when I was applying last year and I did and still do meet their contextual requirements, and their GCSE requirements as well
Reply 6
Thank you! I got an A*in Law and business, and a B in English language with the A in my Epq. I checked when I was applying last year and I did and still do meet their contextual requirements, and their GCSE requirements as well

Sounds like a year out would work well for you. Perhaps Warwick is a long shot. Why knows? No reason not to apply as you have 5 options and don't need to use them all at one time.
Original post by ajj2000
Sounds like a year out would work well for you. Perhaps Warwick is a long shot. Why knows? No reason not to apply as you have 5 options and don't need to use them all at one time.

How is Warwick a long shot with A*A*B + A EPQ and contextual circumstances? I would argue they have a very solid chance, no?
Reply 8
Perhaps, I know Warwick was super competitive in terms of applications this year though. You're definitely right that those achieved grades should give you a better chance though. Sheffield is a great university for law (was researching it a day before results), but at the same time with A*A*B it's reasonable to try for Warwick. Have you tried getting the B remarked? If you get that B to an A you could have a chance with Oxbridge and such.

Thank you! And yes Sheffield is a great university for law . I asked my teacher if I could get it remarked so I will probably do that, and maybe if it’s still at a B I may consider resitting the paper in hopes of getting an A
Reply 9
How is Warwick a long shot with A*A*B + A EPQ and contextual circumstances? I would argue they have a very solid chance, no?

I don't know. I suspect Warwick has a lot of applicants for law. The OP didn't get an offer previously which suggests that its not a slam dunk in the same way applying for courses such as languages would be. Someone with A*A*A*A (inc FM) would have a solid chance of getting into Warwick for economics. No-one would suggest the chance was better than evens.
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000

Yeah I guess I should just apply to Warwick with one of my 5 options and if they still don’t accept me then I will just apply elsewhere
Original post by ajj2000
I don't know. I suspect Warwick has a lot of applicants for law. The OP didn't get an offer previously which suggests that its not a slam dunk in the same way applying for courses such as languages would be. Someone with A*A*A*A (inc FM) would have a solid chance of getting into Warwick for economics. No-one would suggest the chance was better than evens.

Yeah but Warwick is literally 3rd/4th for Economics. For Law, it's more like 10th so I doubt the competition would be as fierce. I got an offer from Warwick for law this year and my application wasn't contextual, nor was it anything entirely special.
Reply 12
Yeah but Warwick is literally 3rd/4th for Economics. For Law, it's more like 10th so I doubt the competition would be as fierce. I got an offer from Warwick for law this year and my application wasn't contextual, nor was it anything entirely special.

Isn't it seen as the best university not to require the LNAT? That might move applicant numbers?
Original post by ajj2000
Isn't it seen as the best university not to require the LNAT? That might move applicant numbers?

Yeah, it probably is the best university not to require the LNAT, that's a good point. However, there's also Nottingham which recently decided to stop using the LNAT.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending