The Student Room Group

reapplying to oxford

Hi, i got all the way through interviews and got rejected the other day. i’m absolutely devastated, i haven’t been able to go into school because i’ve been an emotional wreck.

it was my dream university and so im wondering if it’s worth re applying next year and taking a gap year. i have offers from bristol, exeter, rhul and birmingham, but none of them attract me the way it did. i just feel so low and empty and i have no motivation to carry on any more. however, i don’t know what i would do in the gap year and i don’t know if i would stand any better chance next year.

so, if anyone has any advice or even just wants to leave a comment then please do because i feel so apathetic right now and so disappointed. i know so many people who got offers around me, and everyone was supporting me, and so i just feel so low that i didn’t manage to do it because it was all i was hoping for.

thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cutelittlecherub
Hi, i got all the way through interviews and got rejected the other day. i’m absolutely devastated, i haven’t been able to go into school because i’ve been an emotional wreck.

it was my dream university and so im wondering if it’s worth re applying next year and taking a gap year. i have offers from bristol, exeter, rhul and birmingham, but none of them attract me the way it did. i just feel so low and empty and i have no motivation to carry on any more. however, i don’t know what i would do in the gap year and i don’t know if i would stand any better chance next year.

so, if anyone has any advice or even just wants to leave a comment then please do because i feel so apathetic right now and so disappointed. i know so many people who got offers around me, and everyone was supporting me, and so i just feel so low that i didn’t manage to do it because it was all i was hoping for.

thanks.

Hi, I’m so sorry that it didn’t work out for you - I know it’s really hard after you hear bad news and that you’ll be really upset.

If it’s where you REALLY want to be, and you don’t think you’d be happy elsewhere then go for the gap year and reapply (I’d wait until the initial disappointment wears off a little bit so that you can think about this decision more clearly). Although you might not know what you’d do now, something might pop up closer to the time which you would really enjoy, and it might turn out to be the best thing for you.

I hope it starts to feel a bit better soon - sending hugs
Reply 2
Hi,
I also got rejected so I can relate to the feeling of disappointment and I did cry after it . I know it won’t feel like this right now but even getting an interview takes a lot of hard work (and talent) and it is something to be proud of. If you do want to reapply you will need your grades so it might be good to focus on those and I hope you get in the second time. Personally, I would sit on it and for a while until you feel better about it until you decide what to do since you have plenty of time to decide. Just know that getting rejected doesn’t say anything about your intelligence and getting this far means you are a dedicated, intelligent student. Try to treat yourself and just know that you will feel better and will know what to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Frogbatss
Hi,
I also got rejected so I can relate to the feeling of disappointment and I did cry after it . I know it won’t feel like this right now but even getting an interview takes a lot of hard work (and talent) and it is something to be proud of. If you do want to reapply you will need your grades so it might be good to focus on those and I hope you get in the second time. Personally, I would sit on it and for a while until you feel better about it until you decide what to do since you have plenty of time to decide. Just know that getting rejected doesn’t say anything about your intelligence and getting this far means you are a dedicated, intelligent student. Try to treat yourself and just know that you will feel better and will know what to do.

Rewarding yourself is honestly great advice. Bought a whole tube of Pringles & finished it in one sitting today -- had like 10 thousand calories but feeling great.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4

thanks.

You should be happy that you at least secured an interview. I fumbled my Cambridge admissions test due to an admin mistake on my part related to timing that meant that I only got half of my answers onto the answer sheet even though I had all of my answers and workings out on my question paper to all of the questions. It's because I saw the wrong end timing because there were like 7 other admissions tests taking place in the same room. I had a complete breakdown in the room because I knew I was going to get rejected and the two months of hard work was in vain. I mean, even if I got rejected post-interview, I would have been happy that I at least secured an interview.

thanks.

Give it like 2-3 weeks and then think about it and see how you feel.
Reapplying doesn't mean you'll stand a better chance, the statistics will still be the same. And have you thought of what you would do if you got rejected again? In any case, you don't need to make any decision now and it seems like you're in the middle of your grief right now. You have plenty of time to let this pass and then make a more informed decision that isn't clouded by intense emotion.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Reapplying doesn't mean you'll stand a better chance, the statistics will still be the same. And have you thought of what you would do if you got rejected again? In any case, you don't need to make any decision now and it seems like you're in the middle of your grief right now. You have plenty of time to let this pass and then make a more informed decision that isn't clouded by intense emotion.

If I got rejected from Imperial, I 100000000% would have reapplied. I would have changed my Cambridge college (maybe considered Oxford but probably would have stuck with Cambridge in the end) and looked at timings properly.

In the gap year, I would do several internships for companies to gain experience and stuff to talk about in my application. I may also pick up another A level (A level Physics maybe?)
Reply 8
To all those thinking of reapplying I reapplied (different course though) and got in this year :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by alexeiszp
To all those thinking of reapplying I reapplied (different course though) and got in this year :smile:

That's such a hopeful response Alex; thanks so much for sharing. Did you manage to make good use of your gap year? And very well done!
Original post by vnayak
You should be happy that you at least secured an interview. I fumbled my Cambridge admissions test due to an admin mistake on my part related to timing that meant that I only got half of my answers onto the answer sheet even though I had all of my answers and workings out on my question paper to all of the questions. It's because I saw the wrong end timing because there were like 7 other admissions tests taking place in the same room. I had a complete breakdown in the room because I knew I was going to get rejected and the two months of hard work was in vain. I mean, even if I got rejected post-interview, I would have been happy that I at least secured an interview.

Feel very sorry for you mate.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Feel very sorry for you mate.

Yeah, I'm over it now (I think) but it hurts seeing Oxbridge offers, thinking that it could have been me. I don't know why it's not like this at other places but yeah.

I'm happy that I have Imperial at least because I am the only one in the year not to be rejected (I got the offer a week before Christmas) so I guess some hope there.

Also, for CS, I mean Imperial is just as good as Oxbridge (in fact more competitive. Cambridge is 1 in 13. Oxford is in 1 in 18. Imperial pure CS is 1 in 20 and JMC is in 1 in 22) so I guess it's not felt as much but it would have been nice to have a choice as to who to pick.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Yeah, I'm over it now (I think) but it hurts seeing Oxbridge offers, thinking that it could have been me. I don't know why it's not like this at other places but yeah.

I'm happy that I have Imperial at least because I am the only one in the year not to be rejected (I got the offer a week before Christmas) so I guess some hope there.

Also, for CS, I mean Imperial is just as good as Oxbridge (in fact more competitive. Cambridge is 1 in 13. Oxford is in 1 in 18. Imperial pure CS is 1 in 20 and JMC is in 1 in 22) so I guess it's not felt as much but it would have been nice to have a choice as to who to pick.

Imperial is an excellent uni - Congratulations - London may not be as pretty as Cambridge, but you will be studying at an excellent institution and the course is tougher than Cambridge.
Reply 13

thanks.

Apply for feedback now.Go to the offer days of all your other choices and see how you do at A level.If you try again you would have to be prepared to be rejected again and be happy with another choice.This is a decision to be made after results day not now.
Imperial is an excellent uni - Congratulations - London may not be as pretty as Cambridge, but you will be studying at an excellent institution and the course is tougher than Cambridge.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm just trying to back myself at this point so that I smash my A levels with no pressure on my head. I quite liked the Imperial environment and I like the practical focus so yeah, just working towards that.

How are your decisions so far?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Thank you! Yeah, I'm just trying to back myself at this point so that I smash my A levels with no pressure on my head. I quite liked the Imperial environment and I like the practical focus so yeah, just working towards that.

How are your decisions so far?

I am not subject to Uni Decisions - so in a very different position.
I am not subject to Uni Decisions - so in a very different position.

👍 - very much enjoying life. 🙂
Reply 17

thanks.

I took a gap year to reapply after being rejected and am currently a first year at Oxford. It is certainly possible - use it as a learning experience but make sure to have a backup plan.
(edited 3 months ago)

thanks.

You're obviously deemed a great applicant. Because you got an interview. So re-applying must be about admissions tests score and the interview itself surely?

I wonder which course you applied for?

Which college did you apply to? Applying to St. Hugh's or St. Anne's might have less competition next year perhaps?

If it was me, I would ask myself the question whether I would be happy at any of Bristol? RHUL? Exeter? Birmingham? Perhaps you should have considered York? Edinburgh? Warwick? Manchester?

Applying for a different course like PPE or History rather than Economics & Management might be a consideration perhaps?

thanks for sharing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending