The Student Room Group

HELP! Doing exams in August and need an excuse to tell parents?!?!!

Basically I have been struggling with depression and for a large part of semester 2 had been admitted into a mental health unit. My welfare tutor recommended that I sit my exams in August as first sitting instead due to my situation. I genuinely do not mind revising over the summer holidays.

However my parents are unaware because they've never been understanding of my mental illness and just get angry. I need an excuse for sitting my exams in August without them thinking that I failed my exams when I didn't. Any ideas?
Why don't you have your welfare tutor write them a letter explaining your circumstances. Surely your parents will then understand the severity of your depression and they will be hearing it from a professional at the university.

Hope this helps and good luck for your August exams ! :smile:
Tell them exactly what you said now? Sounds legit to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adomas1990
Tell them exactly what you said now? Sounds legit to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

that seems largely unhelpful if their parents dont treat mental illness seriously and get angry
doesn't matter if it seems legit to you lol
Reply 4
Just say you're revising for an extra project or working on your dissertation early or coursework and then when it comes to the day of the exam just say that you're going to uni to work and print everything off etc.
Reply 5
Why don't you tell them that you weren't happy with the marks you got so you've been given the chance to resit them because you were sick at the time of the first exam?
I understand where you are coming from. I have anxiety and my family wouldnt understand,(they would think I am just saying or I dont know the meaning of the word) plus I am going through alot of school stress. Also when failing its hard telling your family (they might blame you for failing and not understand the pressure of depression), i would suggest dont tell them at all.......... (but then again its your decision)
Reply 7
Oh man... I know those feelings. Uni this September will be my escape!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending