The Student Room Group

The Great Big "I'm worried I won't get my grades" thread

So that everyone can support each other, here is the place to post about 'being worried' about not getting the grades in August.

Post your worries - and be kind to each other.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McGinger
So that everyone can support each other, here is the place to post about 'being worried' about not getting the grades in August.

Post your worries - and be kind to each other.

Hi @McGinger,

I work in Admissions at Oxford Brookes University and thought I might share some information that applicants might find reassuring. Please keep in mind, different universities will have different ways of doing things, but even if you don't get the grades you're hoping for, you can still be made an offer!

To give an example: imagine you have applied to do a BA in Music at Brookes and you have received a conditional offer requiring 104 UCAS points (BCC). You don't do as well as you had hoped on your A Levels and you only achieve 96 UCAS points (CCC). If you have made Brookes your firm choice, you will automatically be made an offer for this course as we drop our requirements by one letter grade for firm applicants who have applied to courses that do not fill before clearing (this excludes healthcare courses).

Furthermore, even if Brookes was not your firm choice, you may well be made an offer on a lower tariff than stated in the requirements on the course page. How much the requirements drop will depend on the course and its popularity, though there are certainly courses where requirements will drop by two letter grades in clearing.

I hope this sheds a little light on how this will work at Oxford Brookes University. If you are curious about how this works at the universities you have applied to, it would be worth calling their Admissions Team to see how they deal with these cases.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 2
i had an offer from UCL of ABB for English Lit and i think im going to miss it and feel like ****. AS was great i was getting A*AA but then lost all my friends and got bullied and lost focus and my a levels are tmrw. im lucky if i get an ABC/ACC. i feel bad cuz i let my parents down and we are struggling financially (i was their only hope lol) hence my contextual offer. is there any chance if i resit and get AAA/A*AA will they likely let me in? i also had **** gcses i dont know how i got an offer at all (english) 7766666655 paired with that and retaking i feel hopeless and i threw away my life. also i have the ability to choose leeds as my firm for BBB and idk if i should do it instead of ucl
Reply 3
You haven't got the results yet! You are being really hard on yourself; be kinder, this really isn't as terminal as you think. Whatever happens, you will be ok and I am certain your parents will be proud.

Why not firm UCL and put Leeds down as your backup? You have nothing to loose by doing that.

Then take it from there in August.
Reply 4
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you down to your knees and keep you there permanantly if you let it. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How many shots you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what your worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits and not be pointing fingers, saying that you ain't where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you!!!!
Reply 5
hey guys, ive been offered a place at kcl (which i am super grateful for) however i do not think i will meet my offer of ABB. and i hate passing the blame on things like this but i dont think i am 100 percent at fault. my sixth form has been in complete shambles for the past year and a half. from back to back strikes and vanishing teachers for months on end in both first and second year, its not until now as i am revising and trying to scrape together the missing gaps that i realise how bad it actually is, i do a level politics, history really complex topics that i need a teacher for. i want to submit a mitigating circumstances form to kcl but teachers are unable to reply to emails and i just feel as though im running out of time and hope, ive got 3 exams in one day tomorrow and i am mortified, im just not ready and i dont think it is my fault. :/
Reply 6
This is rea\lly tough.Its hard as well, as your year group have never been through that 'make or break' feeling of proper public exams.

I would try to keep your head space as good as you can and do your best in these three exams. You don't know what grades you are dealing with until you get the exams done, and you may be surprised. You are naturally focussed on the negative at the moment and missing the positives (you got those predicted grades for a reason!)

Others may come along with better advice but I didn't want to leave you unreplied!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
You are in a fix. If the school was so poor you should have switched schools a year ago and started year 12 again at the new school. Take the exams and see how you do - you may surprise yourself. If you don't gets the grades you need then a resit year is on the cards.
Reply 8
I have offers from Durham and Imperial for ABB and AAA respectively. I have been getting As and A*s on almost every single past paper I've been doing. Yet when it comes to the actual exam I mess up. I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and derealisation. I was in the psychiatric ward last year due to a mental health crisis and have been on and off meds and therapy. I am 22 years old, I started A levels aged 20, and I was so happy to be given a second chance at life but it's just not working out. My tutor tells me I'm always putting myself down and that I am one of the most intelligent people he's met. He predicted me to get A* A* A and he still does. But I don't think I'm going to meet my grade requirements.

Is there something that can be done or special considerations these unis might make for me? These are top tier unis and it wouldn't be right for people to make excuses for failing because then there would be no standards. But surely there must be something that can be done for someone like me. I'm not stupid, I am an intelligent person, which is why I am even more upset because what's the point of being intelligent when my mind has shut down in a state of derealisation in the middle of the exam. I also blame myself, I tell myself I could have studied more and that would reduce the anxiety. But I literally got 14 A*s in a row doing past papers. And right before my bio paper 1 exam I got 3 A*s in a row doing past papers even while I had a mental breakdown, yet when it came to the exam I feel like I got a D.

Is there anything that can be done? Shall I ask my tutor if he can write me a reference or shall I just phone up the unis crying and begging, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm sorry if I sound crazy but I'm at my wit's end and I don't know what to do.
(edited 10 months ago)
First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your mental health conditions, they must be very challenging. My partner suffers from anxiety and depression related to ADHD, so I'll try my best to offer some advice. Firstly, to be clear I'm no expert on this subject, I'm only making general suggestions. However, if you have been formally medically diagnosed with any of these conditions then there may be something that your doctor can do to help you get them to give you leniency when marking due to mitigating personal circumstances. There should be processes for arranging support like this, and it's worth looking into. Also, there's always the appeals process, which can be helpful if you don't get the grades you want. But I want to emphasise: You don't know that you did badly, not for certain. You may have done better than you think, or it may have been more difficult across the board and that'll make your grade more reflective of the average. Don't be disheartened. Make contact with the unis, figure out what your options are, and try to start planning for all the potential outcomes. Exams are not a reflection of your true academic ability. And the "top" universities are not your only option. The most important thing is for you to be able to get the correct support to improve your mental health and allow you to live a fully flourishing life. Look up support groups in your area, because not only will they be able to support your mental health issues but they might be able to help you get a foothold on your uni options. Plenty of people go through similar situations, you're not alone. And you always have more options than you think you do.
Reply 10
Original post by Nighthawk01
I have offers from Durham and Imperial for ABB and AAA respectively. I have been getting As and A*s on almost every single past paper I've been doing. Yet when it comes to the actual exam I mess up. I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and derealisation. I was in the psychiatric ward last year due to a mental health crisis and have been on and off meds and therapy. I am 22 years old, I started A levels aged 20, and I was so happy to be given a second chance at life but it's just not working out. My tutor tells me I'm always putting myself down and that I am one of the most intelligent people he's met. He predicted me to get A* A* A and he still does. But I don't think I'm going to meet my grade requirements.

Is there something that can be done or special considerations these unis might make for me? These are top tier unis and it wouldn't be right for people to make excuses for failing because then there would be no standards. But surely there must be something that can be done for someone like me. I'm not stupid, I am an intelligent person, which is why I am even more upset because what's the point of being intelligent when my mind has shut down in a state of derealisation in the middle of the exam. I also blame myself, I tell myself I could have studied more and that would reduce the anxiety. But I literally got 14 A*s in a row doing past papers. And right before my bio paper 1 exam I got 3 A*s in a row doing past papers even while I had a mental breakdown, yet when it came to the exam I feel like I got a D.

Is there anything that can be done? Shall I ask my tutor if he can write me a reference or shall I just phone up the unis crying and begging, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm sorry if I sound crazy but I'm at my wit's end and I don't know what to do.

I think you've passed and just overthinking it. Its just my brother had anxiety, he tried uni, it was all a bit too much especially with accommodation relocating etc. He moved back home to see if that would help but the issue was it was mostly things like the work the workload it was a big step up from 6th form and it was all a bit too much. He ended up dropping out. I would reccomend maybe just making sure you're ready for that responsibility even if you do get the grades. He was only 18 though, I'm surprised of your age so you're a bit older than he was and I dont know your circumstances so you might be different.
Reply 11
My firm uni (Southampton) is asking for AAB but if I get A*BB would I still be accepted? Or if I am rejected with these grades would it be worth calling to ask if they could still accept me since AAB is technically equivalent to A*BB? This is for Psychology btw
Original post by emma2969
My firm uni (Southampton) is asking for AAB but if I get A*BB would I still be accepted? Or if I am rejected with these grades would it be worth calling to ask if they could still accept me since AAB is technically equivalent to A*BB? This is for Psychology btw

Hi @emma2969

If you're worried about your potential grades, I'd suggest getting in touch with the university. Some universities may still accept students with equivalent or differing grades on results day, but this is different for each university. If you give the admissions team at Southampton a call they may be able to giv you some advice about your results, but I'd try not to worry.

Hope this helps
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Pretty much as the post above. Usually if they give you an offer, its not based on UCAS points in which case an A*AB is equivalent to an AAA or a BBB is equivalent to ABC. Especially if they're asking for a grade in a specific subject, they wont be as flexible.
Original post by emma2969

Having the same number of ucas points doesnt guarantee acceptance. You have to meet or better all the grades unless it is a points based offer.

However universities often accept dropped grades. This is dependent on the numbers reaching their offers and whether there are still places.

If a university rejects you there is no point ringing. They will have consider whether they can accept you or not before you get results. It is time to move on and look elsewhere.
Reply 15
If i fail an alevel but meet the ucas points via my other alevels and btec, will i still be accepted?
Original post by RinsedRinse
If i fail an alevel but meet the ucas points via my other alevels and btec, will i still be accepted?

That depends on whether your offer is expressed in terms of A-level grades or UCAS points.
Original post by RinsedRinse

If it leaves you with the equivalent not but if you still have 3 or more it will depend on the offer you were made. If it specified x points and you achieved it you would be accepted. If it doesnt it is down to the university but not guaranteed.
Reply 18
hi ! i've got myself feeling a little stressed about results day (was super confident about it before) and I'm just totally worrying that I'll miss my offer by one grade and not get into my desired uni. I'm wanting to study law at newcastle and need 3 As, and in all my history and psychology exams i felt so positive about them id be really shocked if I got less than an A, but my English language exams (even though I was pleased with them) I'm now worrying they won't be good enough to get that A. I've always struggled with English more, mainly due to the exam instead of the content, so now I'm just doubting myself. I'm hoping even if I didn't actually do well in the exam that my coursework will bring me up because i only got a few marks off from full marks (hopefully it doesn't get marked down!!)
i know its totally random with each uni / cause, but does anyone have any idea on how lenient unis tend to be on meeting the grades? like if you didn't quite get AAA but got AAB or even A*A*B ?
Original post by rubylidd
hi ! i've got myself feeling a little stressed about results day (was super confident about it before) and I'm just totally worrying that I'll miss my offer by one grade and not get into my desired uni. I'm wanting to study law at newcastle and need 3 As, and in all my history and psychology exams i felt so positive about them id be really shocked if I got less than an A, but my English language exams (even though I was pleased with them) I'm now worrying they won't be good enough to get that A. I've always struggled with English more, mainly due to the exam instead of the content, so now I'm just doubting myself. I'm hoping even if I didn't actually do well in the exam that my coursework will bring me up because i only got a few marks off from full marks (hopefully it doesn't get marked down!!)
i know its totally random with each uni / cause, but does anyone have any idea on how lenient unis tend to be on meeting the grades? like if you didn't quite get AAA but got AAB or even A*A*B ?

Nobody can tell you and it will vary between universities and be different year on year. It isnt about lenient. It is about whether they still have places after all the other results are in. If more students meet their offers than they have spaces they have to accept them so they will reject you. If not they will probably accept you 1 grade off. It isnt unusual to get in 1 grade below but for something like Law it is less likely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending