The Student Room Group

Newham Collegiate sixth form

Hi, I recently enrolled to newham collegiate sixth form but I want to ask some questions before making a decision to attend.

1) what kind of grades are needed to maintain a place? apparently at the end of year 12 a lot of people are kicked out for not achieving the grades expected, could anyone tell me what grades those are?

2) can they just remove you from any exams without warning or for something like low attendance and lateness? bc it says in the handbook that they reserve the right to remove students or take them out of exams for things like that.

thank you!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
I've heard about that too! I would really appreciate it if someone could answer those questions.
Reply 2
Original post by s39484ny
Hi, I recently enrolled to newham collegiate sixth form but I want to ask some questions before making a decision to attend.

1) what kind of grades are needed to maintain a place? apparently at the end of year 12 a lot of people are kicked out for not achieving the grades expected, could anyone tell me what grades those are?

2) can they just remove you from any exams without warning or for something like low attendance and lateness? bc it says in the handbook that they reserve the right to remove students or take them out of exams for things like that.

thank you!

Are you coming in tomorrow? I can't believe they started term in August.
Reply 3
Original post by Ixmail_72
Are you coming in tomorrow? I can't believe they started term in August.

yes I am, same its so annoying
Reply 4
I didn't meet entry requirements do any of u know of anybody that got in without meeting them? And were all ur classes completely full?
Reply 5
Original post by s39484ny

thank you!

Alumnus here

If you do have low attendance/lateness I doubt they would remove you from exams without warning - they are likely to have several meetings with you and/or your parents in order to address the issue so you can bring it up - there is a policy in place for attendance.

After exams, if some students do perform lower than expected then the teachers will ask for a meeting with your parents so they can discuss how you could bring your grades up. Also, you may be placed in intervention which is usually an extra period after school.

At the end of the first year, I'm not sure if people are exactly "kicked out" - the school will probably discuss your options. If you do not get the grades expected the first time you take your end-of-year exam you do get an opportunity to resit the exam later. If I were to guess the grades you need, they are probably Bs and higher. I would think that people getting Cs and below would have to resit.

I also started in August when I first started - I think eventually we had a 2-week half term instead of a 1 week one later on.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Okayn
Alumnus here

If you do have low attendance/lateness I doubt they would remove you from exams without warning - they are likely to have several meetings with you and/or your parents in order to address the issue so you can bring it up - there is a policy in place for attendance.

After exams, if some students do perform lower than expected then the teachers will ask for a meeting with your parents so they can discuss how you could bring your grades up. Also, you may be placed in intervention which is usually an extra period after school.

At the end of the first year, I'm not sure if people are exactly "kicked out" - the school will probably discuss your options. If you do not get the grades expected the first time you take your end-of-year exam you do get an opportunity to resit the exam later. If I were to guess the grades you need, they are probably Bs and higher. I would think that people getting Cs and below would have to resit.

I also started in August when I first started - I think eventually we had a 2-week half term instead of a 1 week one later on.

Thank you this was really helpful!
Reply 7
no not as far as I know, sometimes that don't even take people who did meet entry requirements due to the huge number of applicants. but new people were still coming in today as people are dropping out, so the classes aren't completely full.
Original post by Syush
I didn't meet entry requirements do any of u know of anybody that got in without meeting them? And were all ur classes completely full?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending