The Student Room Group

Part time module based Degree (Graphic Design)

Hi, I am looking at applying for a university degree, the company I work for are paying for me and want the degree to be part time, lasting three years, I will have options to continue after the three years but at this point it is best to say three is the maximum. My options as I see them are a foundation degree or a BA (hons) module based degree, now, what I'm not aware of and please tell me if I have the wrong idea; I am able to pick and choose which modules I study, therefore I can study as many or as few as I like from that respective year of study (As long as they combine to less than 90 points per year), this would be ideal for my companies needs but would I be able to get an award out of this, if it is even possible, the points would add up to around 120-150, which I am aware is around foundation certificate level.

Would I get a certificate for each module completed?

My main question is in terms of "registering for an award" what would I put?
Original post by kwhyle
Hi, I am looking at applying for a university degree, the company I work for are paying for me and want the degree to be part time, lasting three years, I will have options to continue after the three years but at this point it is best to say three is the maximum. My options as I see them are a foundation degree or a BA (hons) module based degree, now, what I'm not aware of and please tell me if I have the wrong idea; I am able to pick and choose which modules I study, therefore I can study as many or as few as I like from that respective year of study (As long as they combine to less than 90 points per year), this would be ideal for my companies needs but would I be able to get an award out of this, if it is even possible, the points would add up to around 120-150, which I am aware is around foundation certificate level.

Would I get a certificate for each module completed?

My main question is in terms of "registering for an award" what would I put?

This is going to depend on the university regulations of the course you sign up for.

The information should be available on their student handbook or on their website somewhere but if you can't find it then contact them to ask what flexibility there is over module choice and what exit awards you can get.
If u only study it part time u won't be able to get a full (hons) undergraduate degree
I think it depends on the uni but if u study the equivalent of 120 credits (what most people compete after first year of uni), most unis will reward u a certificate of Higher Education, and if u do 240 credits most will award u a diploma of higher education(same as first and second year of uni).
Original post by Dnsnnssn
If u only study it part time u won't be able to get a full (hons) undergraduate degree

This is incorrect.

there are plenty of part time degrees that are made up of a full 360 credits that are classified honours degrees
Original post by PQ
This is incorrect.

there are plenty of part time degrees that are made up of a full 360 credits that are classified honours degrees

I meant that they wouldn't be able to get it in only 3 years. Not a full hons degree anyway

Quick Reply

Latest