The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
msangha
Hey rico which Othello question did you write that 4?

I guess the fate one because the other one was something about how the play refelects society's double standards....
Reply 21
Do you think that what i've said about the 'malicious - fate' questions right, its the last post on the previous page btw
msangha i wrote about innocent charcters like roderigo and des also died...the act 3 sc 3 was an important scene though.
Reply 23
ye i pretty much agree wiv everything u said, cuz i mentioned it as well, like in Act 3:3 i wrote about like Iago 'Beware of the green-eyed monster' and all that as well as Othello's transformation ' black vengence', ye sooo ye lol but saying all of this its not the points u make, i think its how clear ur english is, and 2 b honest mines isn't the best which lets me down
please dont write in text speak
Also why so many warned posts at the beginning?

I did the Edexcel Poetry asking the question on death and then for Othello the way Shakespeare in his tragedies treat women differently compared to men. I included women from his other tragedies so I hope that helped.
Why were those posts warned?! :confused:
its warnings because they created a thread on an edexcel examination be4 the 12 hours...yeh masangha that what i think it was on how you write, i never really had time to plan...i put in quotes and critics and alot of context but what was your conclusion
Reply 27
Deathly Hallows
please dont write in text speak
Also why so many warned posts at the beginning?

I did the Edexcel Poetry asking the question on death and then for Othello the way Shakespeare in his tragedies treat women differently compared to men. I included women from his other tragedies so I hope that helped.

Yeah I mentioned Romeo And Juliet as another example of "Shakespeare the Feminist" lol. To be honest I think it probably was more of an interpretive question than the fate one (where you would have to give examples of fate's machinations I suppose). I think it helps to get the context marks, or so teacher said, which is the highest percentage (10 or 15/40 i believe)
yeah as context is double weighted so thats why I went for that question
Reply 29
Did anyone do Amadeus?
FizzPopSpan
OHHH Fiercellama, you are Sarah and I am Hannah - hello! :smile:

The Rivals and Chaucer were smelly. And I TOTALLY forgot to write about the right bit for The Rivals and had to squeeze it in at the end, even though it said 'Begin with'. Do you think they'll downmark me for it?

How did Chaucer go for you, tucatuca?

Hannah!

Oooh, this is so exciting

I don't think they will mark you down, especially if you made good points anyway. If they do they'd probably only knock like a few marks off, probably like 3 or something. But as long as you answered the question, it should be fine. Don't stress!

For all the Chaucer people, I did the first quesiton about having to pay the price for pleasures or whatever it said. It's only been a few days and already I've forgotten!
Did anybody do the Faustus question about 'not against evil but against time'. I did, and I had that great feeling where you think 'Yeah I aced it' but the further away you get, the worse you feel. So anyway, I knew the unit is heavily based on context, but I didnt get ANY in for Faustus - I sat there and thought about where it could go, but thought it would sound forced. I got loads in for Heaney (my other section). But now Im ******* myself! *sob*

Other than that, quite pleased!

x
Reply 32
fiercellama
Hannah!

Oooh, this is so exciting

I don't think they will mark you down, especially if you made good points anyway. If they do they'd probably only knock like a few marks off, probably like 3 or something. But as long as you answered the question, it should be fine. Don't stress!

For all the Chaucer people, I did the first quesiton about having to pay the price for pleasures or whatever it said. It's only been a few days and already I've forgotten!

How did u find it?? What did u write about? And did u look at it from the point of view that Januarie has to pay for his pleasures in that he gets cheated on or that he has to pay to get a wife in the first place? X X
tazzle
How did u find it?? What did u write about? And did u look at it from the point of view that Januarie has to pay for his pleasures in that he gets cheated on or that he has to pay to get a wife in the first place? X X

I put that Januarie had to pay for overusing his wife purely as a means of sexual pleasure by having her cheat on him in the end. I put some other stuff about how chaucer warns us it is coming because of Januarie's spiritual blindness or something like that. I also put that chaucer might not be saying that everyone must pay for their pleasures as there is no implication that either May or Damyan will pay for commiting adultery. What did you say? x
What texts are people doing for unit 6 criticism n comparison? I'm doing Pride and Prejudice and Emma by Austen. Bit stuck on how to revise for it.x
Reply 35
I did the women/men justice & morality for Othello. I started with their extract (which was really good to analyse), doing D's passivity/obedience to O, contrasting her fidelity to his suspicion, contrast between Desdemona's and Emilia's views of morality. Used the ending scene to demonstrate the justice side of it, how women died & murderous men had chance to survive, but on the flip side, women died virtuously and will go to Heaven, whereas those men are doomed to Hell. Also studied morality in sense of women presented as whores by men etc and included role of Bianca and her treatment by Cassio & Iago & Emilia - but her relative virtue against the stereotype of being a whore. Sooooo much to write on this one, so limited myself.

Duffy - did 2nd question (we hadn't analysed the poem mentioned for first question!) so it was all about how Duffy's poems are a plea for justice in an unfair world. Which, imho, none of them are. But used Captain of the 1964, Stealing & Education for Leisure to talk about how the world was seen wrongly as unfair, how the disaffected main character mistakeningly asked for a justice undeserved, and how their victims had a silent plea for justice too. Kind of felt like I had to twist everything to make it fit.

Went fairly well, I think, and I shoved in the bit of context and different interpretation bits you need, but the questions were a bit weird in their wording. Still they could've been far worse.

What texts are people doing for unit 6 criticism n comparison? I'm doing Pride and Prejudice and Emma by Austen. Bit stuck on how to revise for it.x

The Tempest & Translations. I'm going to brainstorm key themes & pick out and learn relevant quotes for that theme. The analysis pretty much comes from my head. I'll also re-read all my old essays and look at past questions.
Reply 36
I did the women/men justice & morality for Othello. I started with their extract (which was really good to analyse), doing D's passivity/obedience to O, contrasting her fidelity to his suspicion, contrast between Desdemona's and Emilia's views of morality. Used the ending scene to demonstrate the justice side of it, how women died & murderous men had chance to survive, but on the flip side, women died virtuously and will go to Heaven, whereas those men are doomed to Hell. Also studied morality in sense of women presented as whores by men etc and included role of Bianca and her treatment by Cassio & Iago & Emilia - but her relative virtue against the stereotype of being a whore. Sooooo much to write on this one, so limited myself.

I didn't do all of what you've mentioned but some of it. I looked more into Emilia's function in the "willow" scene in a feminist prospective, and more about her being in some sort of harmony with Iago in terms of speech. Hopefully it all went well.
Reply 37
Hi,
I did Duffy and Faustus, chose the plea for justice Duffy one and the time vs. evil Faustus question. Went for stealing, making money and pyschopath in Duffy, talked about Thatcherism and political inequality loads but it sounded forced and I don't think I got anywhere near enough quotes in. For Faustus I said he was against time but he was also against a whole host of other things like evil, his era and his own overreaching, stubbornly unrepentant personality. The only context I got in was religious and medieval/renaissance conflict. Did anybody think it was weird that the question called Faustus a hero? I felt I had to address it in my answer just in case. What unit 5 texts did people do?
I did othello (morality) and anthology (elegy etc)...crashed and burned!!!! Definately have to do some work now before Tuesday (hard times/north and south, and poetry unseen)
anyone worried about this Broken Communication Unit 6 compare and contrast. Mine is on Tempest against Translations. Anyone else in the same boat?

Latest