The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels

I'm thinking about what A-levels I want to do because we have to apply quite soon and I haven't completely made up my mind. I know I want to do music, but I haven't decided between English lit or philosophy+RS and media or film. Does anyone have any opinions about which would be better ones to take? I thjnk I might like to go into marketing or something in that route, but I'm also very interested in film.
Original post by Figtrees
I'm thinking about what A-levels I want to do because we have to apply quite soon and I haven't completely made up my mind. I know I want to do music, but I haven't decided between English lit or philosophy+RS and media or film. Does anyone have any opinions about which would be better ones to take? I thjnk I might like to go into marketing or something in that route, but I'm also very interested in film.
Do you know if you're allowed to start with four A-levels and then drop down to three at your college/6th form, if so then that gives you another option to work with.
I can't really give advice on what you should pick because in the end that's up to you, but maybe have a look at the course content for those subjects to see what sorts of things you'll be learning, it might help you narrow down your choices.
Reply 2
Original post by Figtrees
If you already know you might like to go into marketing, maybe have a look at what certain university courses ask for in A-levels it may help you narrow down your options.

If not, I do both English Lit and Media Studies and they're both great.
For English Lit (Edexcel IAL) you'll study loads of poetry and a modern prose (I did Life of Pi) and then two drama pieces, one modern and one older. So all in all you end up with 2 exams at the end of the year. I will say however that it is a hard course if you do not have a good teacher, and you need to make sure to stay up to date throughout because otherwise you'll have a hard time studying everything in time.

If anything Media is English lit applied to images. I do the IAL Cambridge spec. It's a more practical subject and it's quite easy in my opinion. But don't let that distract you from prioritizing, do not leave it to the last minute. The theory is quite elementary and so there's not too much struggle on that either. It's a very time consuming subject however. I have heard that it is not a recognized ALevel at certain universities though, so I'd just be careful with that.

Quick Reply

Latest