The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 1 - 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
that was ridiculously hard for a c1 paper, is there an unofficial mark scheme out yet?
Original post by ameekc
that was ridiculously hard for a c1 paper, is there an unofficial mark scheme out yet?

Yes. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4095491 Please post any questions here.
Original post by timtjtim
Don't see why not - you used a valid method. I did the same - I thought that as A is across by 7 and up by 4 from C, B must be across by 7 and down by 4.

Haha I did the exact same thing - even drew a diagram. But C being the midpoint does seem to be the correct method though sadly, but it'd be great if we still got 2/2 marks for it anyway.
Reply 383
What was the full question were we had to find the second derivative, then prove there is is minimum point?
Original post by laur a
can anyone remember the actual quadratic we had to factorise for that question as defo got -3/2 but cant remember the other number :frown:

Exactly what I want to know.

(2x-3)(x+6)

Are you sure the signs aren't the other way around?

Original post by Crespo0008
I got the wrong answer for the area for the shaded region as I intergrated the y=-32x-40 instead of doing the triangle thing, will I lose all the marks?

Ay, i did the same thing, didn't realise the whole triangle thing and got the wrong answer too. Let's hope we get even just one mark for trying? I doubt the examiners would be so kind.

Original post by SM-
What was the full question were we had to find the second derivative, then prove there is is minimum point?

Yes I'd like to know this too.
Yes, -5/4 was the x-coordinate of Q

okay thanks at least i did one thing right
what was the answer for the geometric transformation ?
Original post by BlackthornRose
Exactly what I want to know.

Are you sure the signs aren't the other way around?

Don't think they are!
Original post by aliyaahh
what was the answer for the geometric transformation ?

For the mark scheme, look at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNmYSXMwLW0RID8A4Yk__VQINLjQZuPljHsUdbsfoj4/edit
Don't think they are!

Wait, is this the one with the answers x<-3/2 and x>6?

If so, what was your working out?

Sorry about the questions and thank you for your help :smile:
Who is going to be ready for C2?
Oh and the people who done edexcel got it hard for C1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 392
Did we had to verify a point as the maximum where we found the second derivative where x was -1.5?
I found that the area of the triangle was 9 and I got the area under the curve as 243/12(or 20.25). So 20.25-9 would give you 11.25. Hope that helped, I can't remember the exact working out !
Original post by SM-

oh i think it was dy/dx= 54-3x^3-6x well I'm pretty sure it was that
Original post by Darshhchiba
same I got root 34 because the only information that was given was the centre so how could you get root 65?!?!

There was also a point A too... But I skimmed over this and I got root 34 too (by doing the same method as you)... But the general consensus is that it's root 65...
Original post by Darshhchiba
same I got root 34 because the only information that was given was the centre so how could you get root 65?!?!

You were given point A
Original post by BlackthornRose
Wait, is this the one with the answers x<-3/2 and x>6?

If so, what was your working out?

Sorry about the questions and thank you for your help :smile:

I'm sorry, all I have are the answers here right now.
[QUOTE="WhiteTigerKURD;64908715"]I found it alright but struggled on the question where it asked for CT and gave you AT[/QUOTE

T to the center and AT form a right angle triangle, as it is a normal to a tangent. So then you could use what you know, AT is 6 or whatever it said and the radius you know is root65 so then just had to use Pythagoras
Original post by WhiteTigerKURD

T to the center and AT form a right angle triangle, as it is a normal to a tangent. So then you could use what you know, AT is 6 or whatever it said and the radius you know is root65 so then just had to use Pythagoras

AT was 4, so 65 + 4^2 = 81. Root 81 = 9.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending