The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 1
do you know what modules youre taking from the english side of things? I've just finished my first year of straight English so if you manage to find out and want some of the books cheaper than buying them new, just drop me an email or a PM and i'm sure we can sort something out :smile:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Just thinking actually, my friend did joint drama and English and in her first term her English modules were Literary Studies and Landmark Texts.

If the course stay exactly the same as last year - i cant see why they'd change it...

Literary Studies / or Critical Approaches you might also see it as (year long module) - will comprise of Wuthering Heights, Goblin Market and The Duchess of Malfi before Christmas for the January exam, and Heaney's "North" collection, Turn of the Screw and Heart of Darkness for after Christmas and the June exam. There is one essay in the first term 60% and exam in the summer 40% and an essay in the first term which is not examined but compulsary.

English landmark Texts - Robinson Crusoe, Jane Eyre, Peter Pan and A Christmas Carol. This is made of one essay and one January exam.

In the second semester, after Christmas, you chose either...

Patterns of Language - which is 50/50 between a report and an exam. ther is no compulsary reading as it is a language module, but there is a recommended list which you can pick and choose from. the tutors will advise you on your arrival.

OR

Modernist Fiction

Olive Schreiner, The Story of an African Farm
Jean Rhys, Voyage in the Dark
D.H.Lawrence, Sons and Lovers
E.M.Forster, A Passage to India
Virginia Woolf, Orlando

Split between essay and exam 50/50 - the exam is in the summer.

http://www.courses.hull.ac.uk/ If you find out what your theology modules are called for the first year - a quick email to the head of theology should do, (find their address on the Theology part of the site) type them in that site and it gives you a run down of the course - how its taught, and what core books you'll need to read.

Hope that helps xx
Reply 3
Thanks for all the advice. I haven't had chance to look at it all in detail, but I will do in the next few days. I have my last exam on Tuesday, so just trying to get the revision completed for that first. I will reply again towards the middle or end of next week.

Many thanks again

Latest