The Student Room Group

RAF Cranwell CBAT Experience/Information

Hi folks, first time posting on here but felt I should give out some advice to others who are to do their CBAT soon or in the future at Cranwell. Firstly there is PLENTY information on this site regarding this topic, and a lot of helped me be prepared for my trip to Cranwell, I would recommend looking through the site for others experiences as well.

Firstly, dress code for anyone who has concerns regarding what to wear. You should be informed in notes that it is smart dress all of the time (Suit preferably), and you will need to have your suit on after 6pm when going for supper. I went down from Aberdeen with my suit on, wasn't the comfiest on a train all day but to be honest but when I arrived at Grantham I was greeted by other candidates who were all wearing suits, so you always want to make a good first impression. From Grantham station you get on a small bus to Cranwell with some of the others arriving.

The mess is great, there is a bar and you will spend the first night getting to know the others here, the drink is unbelievably cheap, but I'd recommend staying off it for this night or just having a couple, and getting to bed early as you will be up between 5:30-6 the next morning. I had one vodka and coke, only £1.14!

The next morning as I say you'll be up early, we were told to meet for breakfast at 6:15, and from there we went to the testing area, got a brief into what we should expect, and then to the testing stations.

If you read through the notes that are provided on the internet you will see what tests to expect on the day. Some people say you can't revise for it, and to be honest for a lot of it you can't HOWEVER, I would highly recommend sharpening up on mental arithmetics, speed/distance/time questions as well as fuel consumption questions. One of the tests involved this in depth, and you only get a minute to answer each question.. I thought it would be fairly easy as I'd practised a lot but when under timed pressure your mind goes blank. My test started about 7:30, and with a few 5 minute breaks throughout, as well as a 45 minute lunch break, I was finished not long after 3pm.

The hardest test for me in my opinion was the Situational Awareness Test. It requires you to remember so much information and then you are questioned on what you can remember. A lot of us struggled with this one.

I decided to get the train back up that same day as I just wanted home, however there is the option to stay the second night if you are travelling a fair bit. You also get your own room, as this was one thing I wondered before going down.

Best of luck to everyone who is going for it and I'm sure you'll manage fine. Just stick at it as its a long day but worth it in the end. Glad to say I achieved a higher score than required for pilot, but I feel the fact that I prepared beforehand helped me. Some links for uselful information:

SDT Calculations:
http://www.speeddistancetime.info

CBAT Notes:
https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/1858/20150211-notes_for_guidance_cbat_v7-o.doc

You'll find plenty more useful sites and information on google etc, especially on here there is lots of help. If you need to know any more feel free to leave a reply on here or PM and I'll be happy to help out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hahaha unlucky if you end up living in Grantham/Cranwell though :P
hi there could you pm me i have a few questions:smile:
Reply 3
Hello, thank you for this - a little reassuring I must say! I'm just wondering if you're expected to make your own way from Grantham train station to Cranwell? I mean it's fine if so, I just wasn't sure if they organised transport for this part of the journey or not! THANK YOU :smile:
Original post by Hat_h
Hello, thank you for this - a little reassuring I must say! I'm just wondering if you're expected to make your own way from Grantham train station to Cranwell? I mean it's fine if so, I just wasn't sure if they organised transport for this part of the journey or not! THANK YOU :smile:

Hello,Yeah when I went down there was a coach waiting for everyone at the station. Chances are if your one of the last people there you'll see everyone else waiting too.Best of luck.Matthew
Reply 5
Original post by Hat_h

All of this information will be in the joining instructions. Don't fret too much: if you need to know something, you'll be told about it.
Reply 6
Hi could you tell me what you had to wear for when you get tested? Do you still have to wear your suit? Thanks
Original post by Ben579
Hi could you tell me what you had to wear for when you get tested? Do you still have to wear your suit? Thanks

Suit for everything unless told otherwise its a job interview.
Reply 8
Original post by Ben579

Like AlphaTango said, suit unless explicitly stated otherwise for all RAF business.

During the CBAT in particular, you are permitted to remove jackets, ties and shoes to make yourself as comfortable as possible.
Reply 9
Possibly the most important question about the chat experience, What's the food like?
Original post by Sixtoes
Possibly the most important question about the chat experience, What's the food like?

Decent, plentiful.

Not gourmet, but good enough.

(Better than No.1 Mess...)
Lunch is average though. No choice. Bit stuck if get a lunch box you don't like!
Good day. I would like to ask the candidates who participated in the test, how you tackled the dynamic projection test, how did you use the bearings. I am trying to figure it out and I can't. Many thanks
Reply 13
Original post by michaelrobins
Good day. I would like to ask the candidates who participated in the test, how you tackled the dynamic projection test, how did you use the bearings. I am trying to figure it out and I can't. Many thanks

Was that the one where you had to direct the aircraft through the gates?

If so: I was approximately 1 test behind everyone else for the whole day. Before I did the projection test I could hear huffing and puffing, and even someone slamming their desk behind me. I was wondering why everyone was getting so frustrated; but then I reached the dynamic projection test...

We had lunch right after I finished it and I asked at least half of the other candidates how they thought they did in the dynamic projection test. The resounding answer (minus one cocky *******) was that they had no idea what they were doing and they all thought they had failed.

Upon reflection and after some discussion, we guessed that the bearings you give are supposed to be in relation to the aircraft's north, and not true north... But I do think I tried that at one point during the test (inbetween guessing randomly), and it still didn't go particularly well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Many thanks for your response vodapo.
Yes it is the one with the gates.Could it be that you draw two lines based on the the numbers-bearings given and these two lines meet at a specific point which you have to pass?
Also you have to avoid planes and obstacles, I am guessing there is a virtual area starting from the plane and extending up to a certain point, an area which moves according to the plane based on the instructions.
As for the obstacles you have to draw a virtual line or area vertically and try to avoid it.
Am I correct?
Many thanks
Reply 15
Original post by michaelrobins
Many thanks for your response vodapo.
Yes it is the one with the gates.Could it be that you draw two lines based on the the numbers-bearings given and these two lines meet at a specific point which you have to pass?
Also you have to avoid planes and obstacles, I am guessing there is a virtual area starting from the plane and extending up to a certain point, an area which moves according to the plane based on the instructions.
As for the obstacles you have to draw a virtual line or area vertically and try to avoid it.
Am I correct?
Many thanks

Ah, I assumed you had completed the test and were seeking consolation, like so many of us were after the horror of the Dynamic Projection Test, haha.

So, if you haven’t done it, and are looking for an explanation then I’ll give it my best shot. But PLEASE remember that I do not know for certain that this is how the test works, but this is how the other candidates and I believe it should be done. Also note that the specific numbers I give in examples may change --

Assuming you have the email from AFCO regarding the CBAT with the attached document showing all of the tests. I will use the picture provided on said document of the DPT for my example.

You control up to 3 planes at a time. The first plane (Red) must be directed through the gates in alphabetical order using bearings. The second plane (Yellow) must be directed through gates in numerical order. The third plane (Green) must intercept enemy aircraft (White). In addition to directing the planes, you must keep them out of ‘danger areas’, control altitude and the distance between them.

Altitude:
The display is 2D so the current altitude can be observed using the white number next to it. In the picture, aircraft CA-A is at altitude 025 (2500 ft). If another aircraft is close or the aircraft is in a danger area, you should adjust the altitude. Danger areas are represented by large red circles with either a black or white outline. White outlined danger areas are at 2000ft, black outlined at 3000 ft if the aircraft is within the radius of the danger zone then you should adjust altitude. Aircraft should not be within 1000 ft of danger areas. Aircraft should not be within 3000 ft of one another.

Bearings and Directions:
Now this part is the real mystery, but how the other candidates and I believe it works is as follows
The bearings around the outside edge of the display are just a guide in case you aren’t familiar with bearing degrees (Or perhaps to cause confusion, in which case it was successful). Bearing 360 or 000 on the display represents true North, but the aircraft are directed using their own relative North. So, in the picture example, if you were to direct aircraft CA-A using true north, then it would need to fly towards bearing 355 in order to pass through the gate. However, to direct CA-A using its relative North (The suspected correct technique), it would probably be travelling at a bearing of ~030. The same principle can be applied when directing the Green Aircraft to intercept enemy aircraft. Which is, of course, more challenging as the target is moving.

I hope that has explained the test. If you have any other questions then I’d be glad to help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sounds like a good test very similar to real ATC/ABM though frequently more than 3 aircraft to control.

The only piece that doesn’t make sense to me is true north vs relative north? Though I don’t have the candidates guide to refer to the image.
Reply 17
Original post by AlphaTango
Sounds like a good test very similar to real ATC/ABM though frequently more than 3 aircraft to control.

The only piece that doesn’t make sense to me is true north vs relative north? Though I don’t have the candidates guide to refer to the image.

I've annotated the example image given in the candidates guide provided by AFCO. Hopefully this clarifies the above explanation of bearings given in reference to the aircraft's relative North vs true North.

The incorrect bearing is written in red, correct bearing written in green.

I believe that if you were to incorrectly direct the aircraft using true north as a reference then the aircraft would in fact just fly straight forwards.

Untitled.png
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by vodapo
I've annotated the example image given in the candidates guide provided by AFCO. Hopefully this clarifies the above explanation of bearings given in reference to the aircraft's relative North vs true North.

The incorrect bearing is written in red, correct bearing written in green.

I believe that if you were to incorrectly direct the aircraft using true north as a reference then the aircraft would in fact just fly straight forwards.

Untitled.png

Thanks for posting this! A few questions, firstly, how fast do the aircraft move?

Next, do the gates extend up to infinity? If so, doesn't that mean you could just fly at a very high/low altitude to avoid the danger areas? Is there a minimum/maximum height you can fly at?
Reply 19
Original post by dannyoboy007
Thanks for posting this! A few questions, firstly, how fast do the aircraft move?

Next, do the gates extend up to infinity? If so, doesn't that mean you could just fly at a very high/low altitude to avoid the danger areas? Is there a minimum/maximum height you can fly at?

No problem. I'm actually considering doing a guide like this for the entire CBAT if that would interest you let me know.

The aircraft move quite slowly; slowly enough that you have time to think but you can't take forever. The aircraft also turn quite slowly so you can't leave it until the last minute.

Yes the gates extend to infinity and yes you theoretically could fly at max or minimum height which is what I did.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest