The Student Room Group

Edexcel 5 Question..

Help :s-smilie: :smile:
These questions are harassing me

Suggest a reducing agent which might reduce aqueous Co3+ ions to cobalt metal.. Give your reasoning.

Zn2+ + 2e- <--> Zn (-0.76)
Fe2+ + 2e- <--> Fe (-0.44)
Co2+ + 2e- <--> Co (-0.28)
Sn2+ + 2e- <--> Sn (-0.14)
O2 + 2H+ + 2e- <--> H2O2 (+0.68)
Co3+ + e- <--> Co2+ (+1.82)

<--> is my beautiful representation of a reversible reaction

Suggest two factors that might prevent a reducing agent from being as effective as the electrode potentials might seem to suggest.

This is from the January 2003 paper - If anyone knows where an online mark scheme is, can they let me know.. cheers
Now I'm confused... couldn't all of them because reversing the sign of each reducing agent in the list and adding it to +1.82 gives a positive Ecell value?

For question 2: change in temp, pressure or concentration. In each case the equilibrium position could move and this will affect the electrode potential.
Reply 2
ninibee
Help :s-smilie: :smile:
These questions are harassing me

Suggest a reducing agent which might reduce aqueous Co3+ ions to cobalt metal.. Give your reasoning.

Zn2+ + 2e- <--> Zn (-0.76)
Fe2+ + 2e- <--> Fe (-0.44)
Co2+ + 2e- <--> Co (-0.28)
Sn2+ + 2e- <--> Sn (-0.14)
O2 + 2H+ + 2e- <--> H2O2 (+0.68)
Co3+ + e- <--> Co2+ (+1.82)

<--> is my beautiful representation of a reversible reaction

Suggest two factors that might prevent a reducing agent from being as effective as the electrode potentials might seem to suggest.

This is from the January 2003 paper - If anyone knows where an online mark scheme is, can they let me know.. cheers

answer 1..zinc metal. it will reduce the Co3+ to Co2+ because when its half equaction is reversed and added to Co3+ + e-= Co 2+, the Ecell= +0.76+ 1.82v, which is positive , so the reaction will take place. and it will reduce Co 2+ to Co, as Ecell = +0.76 + (-0.28) = +0.48 v is also positive..

answer 2.. non standard condition and higher activation energy

hope this helps
good luck
Reply 3
OP, I've PM-ed you with a website for markschemes. Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Perfect.. Thanks
a) Zn2+ ion....It reduce Co3+ into Co2+ and then Co metal

b) 1) Temperature
2) Pressure
Reply 6
Kennychan222
a) Zn2+ ion....It reduce Co3+ into Co2+ and then Co metal

b) 1) Temperature
2) Pressure

Uh.... no.

It's not the ion. The metal causes reduction, hence Zn. I want to point out that Fe also works.

Temperature - irrelevant here. High activation energies, and non-standard conditions (not 1 atm or not 1 mol.dm^-3)

Latest