The Student Room Group

An Inspector Calls

Does anyone have any good 'An Inspector Calls' quotations or helpful revision sources?
Reply 1
the stage description for the lighting in Act One are "pink" and "intimate" which show indulgence.
The stage description for the lighting upon the Inspector's arrival is "sharp and "white" which is a contrast to the light atmosphere in Act One.

"Very nice. Good dinner too, Sybil. Tell cook from me." - the emission of a determinant (tell THE cook from me) indicates that Birling's idiolect is not that of an aristocrat's.
This reflects on Sybil marrying someone who is socially inferior as she "reproachfully" tells him "Arthur, you're not supposed to say such things-"
This reflects on the idea that members of the aristocracy married into the bourgeoisie who were gaining more social power despite the contempt the aristocracy held towards the middle class. Priestley critiques bourgeois marriages through the couple that lack romantic affection for each another and mocks capitalism through their relationship built around money and social power.

There's more but these are the one's from the top of my head.
(edited 7 years ago)
thankyou:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending