The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Advice please

Hi, cut the long story short... I've firmed Brunel and I plan to do History BA. I am predicted ABC, and I need BBB I believe I can achieve AAC however the only issue is that I need a C in maths which unfortunately I didn't achieve at GCSE (got a D). I'm taking the Maths GCSE again but again I do not feel ill achieve the C due to my college putting me in for foundation and with the pressures of A2 I can't afford to revise Maths. The college I attend can be seen as a low performing college as well. If I achieve higher than what's asked for without the C in maths would I still be considered?
Reply 1
Bump
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
I don't think TSR is the right place for this question - it'd be best to contact the university directly.
Reply 3
Yes definitely talk to the uni and tell them ur situation as u have told us
Yes, but it will be their discretion. You dont stand to lose anything by asking.Your reasoning that you will not acchieve a C because they put you in for foundation and the pressure of A levels, doesnt really fly.

Foundation is designed to make itself more appropriate for lower achieving students to get a grade C.
Your idea about pressure of A levels is still a conscious decision to use your time to study them at the expense of maths. Everyone else has to use their time as best they can.

If you are at a D then you only need a moderate improvement to a C. Practie past papers. If you choose not to, then you have to take your chances.
Reply 5
I just took both official maths papers recently, paper 2 went well I believe as its the calculator and I felt confident. Paper 1, was a disaster and all for the wrong reasons... Not that the paper was hard, it was the fact that there was a power cut mid-exam which resulted in a complete blackout. Not only did everyone start going mad, talking, etc... We sat there in darkness for about an hour and a half, while they brought out lights into the hall and on top of that I have astigmatism (slightly blurred vision when I focus) and we continued in dimmed lighting and It took me slightly longer to read questions, visualize diagrams, graphs, readings. I was sat at the back of the GYM hall, with the only light coming from a portable light and opened double doors which gave slight sunlight. The power never came back on throughout the exam. I believe this may have affected my overall grade, once again. I can't believe the exam board allowed it to continue (they were contacted during the power-cut)... people were cheating, talking, laughing. I for one know this isn't even fair on me as well as others in the hall, my center is also very poor and undergoing major reconstruction.

Should I contact Brunel about this? This has really stressed me out, and I have more exams to come yet this is just in my head.
Reply 6
BUMP.
Reply 7
Bump. Really want to know if I should get in touch with them via email or phone in. Thanks.
Reply 8
Honestly you're not going to go anywhere without a C in maths GCSE. Revise for it, it won't be too hard this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending