The Student Room Group

A level as a private candidate

I am a student from Brunei currently doing CIE A levels in Maths, Physics and Computer science.
I wanted to do further maths but my school does not teach it. There is the option of doing it as a private candidate in Brunei but I have seen from the specifications that CIE Further maths is way harder than the other boards (Edexcel, AQA etc). In Brunei the only exam board available is CIE.
I am thinking of going to Singapore to sit for Edexcel Further maths as a private candidate instead as it is easier.
My question is that whether the fact that my exams were taken in different countries and that my maths and further maths are from different exam boards will make any difference to my applications to uni?
Thank you
Original post by lyamlim97
I am a student from Brunei currently doing CIE A levels in Maths, Physics and Computer science.
I wanted to do further maths but my school does not teach it. There is the option of doing it as a private candidate in Brunei but I have seen from the specifications that CIE Further maths is way harder than the other boards (Edexcel, AQA etc). In Brunei the only exam board available is CIE.
I am thinking of going to Singapore to sit for Edexcel Further maths as a private candidate instead as it is easier.
My question is that whether the fact that my exams were taken in different countries and that my maths and further maths are from different exam boards will make any difference to my applications to uni?
Thank you

It wouldn't affect your application to a uk university I have no idea about whether it might affect applications elsewhere.
You must get permission from Edexcel/Pearson to do their further maths afte maths with CIE, they will give it but discuss this with the Singapore centre you plan to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
It wouldn't affect your application to a uk university I have no idea about whether it might affect applications elsewhere.
You must get permission from Edexcel/Pearson to do their further maths afte maths with CIE, they will give it but discuss this with the Singapore centre you plan to use.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, Thanks. I am still however deciding whether just the month of december enough to prepare for the entire A level Further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest