The Student Room Group

A level resits help

so basically I am doing 3 years in sixth form because I switched two of my subjects to English Literature and politics, but my other subject which is religious studies, I decided to not switch it therefore I had to sit the exam as I normally would’ve done if I did my A levels in 2 years. The problem is I sat my RS A level this year, and I got a grade which I’m not happy with, so I want to retake it and sit it with my a levels that I haven’t sat yet. I saw on the AQA website you cant do this though because if I were to retake RS I’d have to pay and that makes me a private candidate? Im not too sure but could someone please explain if I could resit it or not, I’m still enrolled in my college, but there was an email from my HOY which stated that if you retake your a levels you have to pay and enter as a private candidate. Also the reason why I’m asking TSR and not my teacher is because my religious studies teacher hates my guts and I’m dreading asking her about it, she really scares me.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
You would need to pay unless your college would be willing to cover it for you.

The pricing depends on the center/college but you need to decide if you think it is worth paying since it can be pricey. My college had the price range between £200-300 depending on the subject.

Private Candidate essentially just means you are taking the exam but without lessons provided by the centre/college for that specific subject, and because of that they will not have the funding to pay for the exam. Which is why you would have to pay yourself to retake.

Hope this helps
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Studentalevel127
so basically I am doing 3 years in sixth form because I switched two of my subjects to English Literature and politics, but my other subject which is religious studies, I decided to not switch it therefore I had to sit the exam as I normally would’ve done if I did my A levels in 2 years. The problem is I sat my RS A level this year, and I got a grade which I’m not happy with, so I want to retake it and sit it with my a levels that I haven’t sat yet. I saw on the AQA website you cant do this though because if I were to retake RS I’d have to pay and that makes me a private candidate? Im not too sure but could someone please explain if I could resit it or not, I’m still enrolled in my college, but there was an email from my HOY which stated that if you retake your a levels you have to pay and enter as a private candidate. Also the reason why I’m asking TSR and not my teacher is because my religious studies teacher hates my guts and I’m dreading asking her about it, she really scares me.

Hi, if you were to be a private candidate it's likely the school would make you cover the cost if you attend a state school. And as a private candidate they won't even give you lessons, you would just sit the exam at your college or a centre. By any chance do you still remember, the questions for your English literature exam or the main themes of them. Any information would be so helpful.
Original post by _bb.yy_
Hi, if you were to be a private candidate it's likely the school would make you cover the cost if you attend a state school. And as a private candidate they won't even give you lessons, you would just sit the exam at your college or a centre. By any chance do you still remember, the questions for your English literature exam or the main themes of them. Any information would be so helpful.

Do you mean my RS exams? I haven’t sat my a level english yet
Original post by Aceful

The pricing depends on the center/college but you need to decide if you think it is worth paying since it can be pricey. My college had the price range between £200-300 depending on the subject.

Private Candidate essentially just means you are taking the exam but without lessons provided by the centre/college for that specific subject, and because of that they will not have the funding to pay for the exam. Which is why you would have to pay yourself to retake.

Hope this helps

oh I see, but would I still be considered as a private candidate overall just because I’m paying to retake one a level? I’m still going to lessons for my other two subjects, sitting those a levels in 2024.
Reply 5
Do you mean my RS exams? I haven’t sat my a level english yet

oh I see, thank you regardless.
Reply 6
Original post by Aceful

Hope this helps

if you dont mind me asking what is the name of your college. because I have been contacting sixth form colleges about resiting as a private candidate but they all don't allow it and I can afford centers :frown:
Reply 7
oh I see, but would I still be considered as a private candidate overall just because I’m paying to retake one a level? I’m still going to lessons for my other two subjects, sitting those a levels in 2024.

Yeah you would still be considered a private candidate, for your RS exam.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Noname60
if you dont mind me asking what is the name of your college. because I have been contacting sixth form colleges about resiting as a private candidate but they all don't allow it and I can afford centers :frown:

I'll PM you.

Quick Reply

Latest