The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have to agree with that, I've never seen a question like the last one in any past paper, any practise paper or any Soloman paper, and if you couldn't do part A you were screwed.

Everything else was ok though, I screwed myself for not revising substituions, enough, I was off school for the whole time we were doing integration, so I jsut prayed there would have been easier questions, like that cos2x one, that was nice.
*Sparkle*
I have to agree with that, I've never seen a question like the last one in any past paper, any practise paper or any Soloman paper, and if you couldn't do part A you were screwed.

Everything else was ok though, I screwed myself for not revising substituions, enough, I was off school for the whole time we were doing integration, so I jsut prayed there would have been easier questions, like that cos2x one, that was nice.

try paper d of the solomon and its there
corbinator44
try paper d of the solomon and its there

haha guess I didn't try hard enough :p:
I did that paper sunday night, one of the only ones I did do :biggrin: :biggrin: so relieved when it came up on monday
Reply 24
im confused

what was on the soloman d that was on our paper?
i hated the C4 exam but that question was one of teh ones i actually got right. not bragging but it was just applying your knowledge to get what they wanted and the question was broken up into 2 parts when it introduced the second formulea so an inability to do the first didn't necaserily mean loss of marks. Though don't get me wrong i did not like that paper at all and felt that quite alot of stuff that you would expect to be examined as small parts of a big question wern't examined.
Lots of people seem to be complaining that if you couldn't get the first part, you couldn't get the last part? You can still get LOTS of marks for errors carried through, like when I was doing past papers for C3 and C4 it'd say things like "sin (x + THEIR ALPHA) = ... M1". Besides, as others said we're lucky to have the questions broken down as much as they are.

And the last question wasn't as bad as others are making out I feel. I had serious problems with differential equations so I revised it solid for a few hours during my revision, and after that I could tackle pretty much any differential equation. It was actually quite standard if you'd revised them hard enough. Even though you had to be able to do the first part to do the others, it was the same in the last question in C3. You had to be able to get the right formula to get part b and part c, but I don't really hear many people complaining about that.

In my opinion, the only truly hard question was question 2. That question I couldn't even make an attempt at really because I couldn't find du at all. I'll have only got a couple of method marks for things like changing the bounds.
lil'p
im confused

what was on the soloman d that was on our paper?

question 8
Question 8 was actually easy....i could have got 14 Marks if i hadn't made one little mistake-in the first question-annoying.

Oh well...a D will do for me.
Reply 29
bobbington
I dont think it was too hard, BUT, in nearly all the questions, there were parts of the question which couldnt be done if you couldnt get part a right. Thus, its an unfair assesment of one's maths ability. What if someone couldnt do a , but knew how to do b, but b required the answer from a?

I think edexcel should be ashamed of themselves.

Perhaps you should be ashamed at yourself for not being able to answer part a. They split up the questions already and give you so much help that moaning about it isnt going to help. I bet you would like it if they just gave the answers and you just had to rewrite them. (PS this may sound harsh but dont mean to be mean:smile: )
Reply 30
ravin146
lets get thsi staright somethings happened this time since jan o7 ......either the organisation staructure has changed or something. jan o7 seriers for edexcel matsh was one of the easiest ive seen.....yet teh june 07 exams have not been the hardest in challenging us but poorly written and staructured to make pupils LOOSE out on marks rather than the approach of GIANING marks on what you know. i think we shaould all ring edexcel and implement a force lol

Whereas your post is atrociously-written, and structured, apparently, to make me repeatedly stab myself in the face. If you're fortunate, algebraic functions will have supplanted English as the academic lingua franca before you are prevailed on to compose your first dissertation (or, for that matter, your first sick-note): if I'm lucky, I can will myself dead long before that eventuality comes to pass.
Reply 31
insparato
I thought it was an easy paper. No nasty questions at all.

Ditto. Most of it was simplistic. You just had to think logically. And the time, 90mins more than enough! I got bored of just sitting there after I finished mine.
Reply 32
had 30 minutes extra at the end

Latest