The Student Room Group

Curriculum and revision guide for GCSE Maths

Hi

I'm currently trying to self-study a GCSE Maths exam to a 9 for the November exam series and would appreciate any help I can get since I'm doing this on my own and don't have a lot of time left. Does anyone know whether there's a good curriculum anywhere of what's likely to appear on the November exam, or otherwise have any tips?

Also, I have a revision guide from 2017 - will this be up to date enough or would it be best to get a newer one?

Thanks in advance for any help
Hashim

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which exam board?

Original post by AnonNortherner
Hi

I'm currently trying to self-study a GCSE Maths exam to a 9 for the November exam series and would appreciate any help I can get since I'm doing this on my own and don't have a lot of time left. Does anyone know whether there's a good curriculum anywhere of what's likely to appear on the November exam, or otherwise have any tips?

Also, I have a revision guide from 2017 - will this be up to date enough or would it be best to get a newer one?

Hashim
Original post by Ryan.Seb
Which exam board?

Edexcel
Reply 3
Edexcel

I do the same, that's good.
Ill attach a file that consists of all the topics that will come in November mocks
Reply 4
Hi

Hashim

Another tip buy a Maths Grade 8-9 Targeted Exam Practice book.
It has like really hard questions which will help you get a grade 9.
Also , Practice a lot of questions (thats what i do and i am predicted a grade 9).
Use websites like , mathsgenie , corbettmaths and also do past papers
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mx9q43-gcse-maths-edexcel-grade-8-9-targeted
Reply 5
I do the same, that's good.
Ill attach a file that consists of all the topics that will come in November mocks

Mocks? I think the OP is taking the exam ...
Reply 6
Edexcel

I'd work through these resources: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13
Watch other people doing maths papers and try doing maths papers from other exam board - it helped me get a grade 9 in maths
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Mocks? I think the OP is taking the exam ...

The main GCSE Edexcel Maths exam doesnt happen in november-
It is always conducted in may/june (according to google)
Reply 9

Nope - there is a resit in November

There is an exam series each november (for maths and english language only), which the OP has stated they are preparing for. If you go onto the Edexcel website and look at the available past papers for GCSE maths, you will find papers with november dates written on them as proof.
this is literally exactly what someone in my school is doing
and i learnt about it today
I'd work through these resources: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

Thanks for that, is there a reason why this site in particular? Some of the terminology used is really convoluted and isn't explaining anywhere, so it makes me wonder about the quality of the teaching itself

Also, has anything changed in the exam since 2017 such that I would need to buy a more up-to-date revision guide?
Another tip buy a Maths Grade 8-9 Targeted Exam Practice book.
It has like really hard questions which will help you get a grade 9.
Also , Practice a lot of questions (thats what i do and i am predicted a grade 9).
Use websites like , mathsgenie , corbettmaths and also do past papers
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary-books/gcse/maths/mx9q43-gcse-maths-edexcel-grade-8-9-targeted

That's a good idea that I didn't know of, thanks for that, and thanks for the resources recommendations. It seems there a lot of free online resources for this, look I'm gonna have to check them all out, figure out which one looks the best and follow it all the way through. Either that or use a MathsWatch subscription if I can get hold of one like I've done in the past
Thanks for that, is there a reason why this site in particular? Some of the terminology used is really convoluted and isn't explaining anywhere, so it makes me wonder about the quality of the teaching itself

Also, has anything changed in the exam since 2017 such that I would need to buy a more up-to-date revision guide?

He's a current Maths teacher at a top school! Did you look at the examples? You said you wanted a grade 9!

Maybe try this instead: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/

The new spec started in 2017 so if it says that you'll be fine.
That's a good idea that I didn't know of, thanks for that, and thanks for the resources recommendations. It seems there a lot of free online resources for this, look I'm gonna have to check them all out, figure out which one looks the best and follow it all the way through. Either that or use a MathsWatch subscription if I can get hold of one like I've done in the past

Did you look at the downloadable resources on Dr Frost on the link I posted?
He's a current Maths teacher at a top school! Did you look at the examples? You said you wanted a grade 9!

Maybe try this instead: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/

The new spec started in 2017 so if it says that you'll be fine.

Maybe but he could do with some lessons in UI/UX design. I tried looking at the practice questions and saw a window that asked me if I wanted "interleaved" or "differentiated" questions with no explanation of what that means, which is intimidating even to me as a software dev let alone your average GCSE student. Seems like it's explained in a unlinked PDF here that I had to find through Google:

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/docs/DFM-GettingStartedForTeachers.pdf

Clicking on each topic the site is also a little slow to respond and I've noticed some UI bugs just checking out a few different pages. As per your recommendation I'll try and get past the platform issues and check it out anyway, thank you.
Maybe but he could do with some lessons in UI/UX design. I tried looking at the practice questions and saw a window that asked me if I wanted "interleaved" or "differentiated" questions with no explanation of what that means, which is intimidating even to me as a software dev let alone your average GCSE student. Seems like it's explained in a unlinked PDF here that I had to find through Google:

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/docs/DFM-GettingStartedForTeachers.pdf

Clicking on each topic the site is also a little slow to respond and I've noticed some UI bugs just checking out a few different pages. As per your recommendation I'll try and get past the platform issues and check it out anyway, thank you.

There's no need to be rude about it - it's free and he teaches full-time. Perhaps it's just overloaded ...

It's incredibly popular and has won awards - as I said have you explored the downloadable resources.
There's no need to be rude about it - it's free and he teaches full-time. Perhaps it's just overloaded ...

It's incredibly popular and has won awards - as I said have you explored the downloadable resources.

Sorry, wasn't at all intending to be rude and I do appreciate the recommendation, just giving my first honest thoughts on it and that it might not be the best recommendation for most GCSE students on this site.

When you say the downloadable resources I assume you mean under the Secondary tab? Looking at the rest of the site I see the main topics are also mainly Word and Powerpoints, I can see why this is popular with teachers but as a student learning from home with limited time I don't really want to be messing around with downloading Word documents and PowerPoints for each topic, this is why I much prefer a completely online-based solution like MathsWatch. I'll check out the other resource you mentioned, and thanks for all your help.
(edited 7 months ago)
Sorry, wasn't at all intending to be rude and I do appreciate the recommendation, just giving my first honest thoughts on it and that it might not be the best recommendation for most GCSE students on this site.

When you say the downloadable resources I assume you mean under the Secondary tab? Looking at the rest of the site I see the main topics are also mainly Word and Powerpoints docs, I can see why this is popular with teachers but as a student learning from home I don't really want to be messing around with downloading Word documents and PowerPoints for each topic, this is why I much prefer a completely online-based solution like MathsWatch. I'll check out the other resource you mentioned, and thanks for all your help.

MathsWatch is rubbish - far too fussy about input - you can get a question completely right and it marks it wrong.

Why didn't you say that in your OP? The questions are instant response. You can track progress.

Quick Reply

Latest