The Student Room Group

Edexcel History - Unit 3C Boom, Bust and Recovery

Scroll to see replies

good luck!

I think if by friday if i look over my notes each day it should be fine. What are you gunna do between now and then in terms of revision ?

Original post by antigone-
Yeah immigration is another good option

I got an A last year but would like an A* this year. To get an A* you need 90% in this exam and 80% overall (the A* on the grade boundary doesn't actually mean you'll get an A* overall)
For students having a hard time with essays I have experienced academic writers who are college graduates & straight 'A' students willing to write your papers for a reasonable price.
Inbox me
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by student420
good luck!

I think if by friday if i look over my notes each day it should be fine. What are you gunna do between now and then in terms of revision ?

Essay plans so my memory is refreshed. I'm not so nervous so hopefully I'll be alright!

Good luck to you too :smile:
I'm writing model answers for most past paper questions.
Reply 44
Original post by Sademajek
I'm writing model answers for most past paper questions.

Same, just got Section B material to write up now and i'm good to go
Do you think the exam board will just use past questions for part A since its a legacy paper now?
Reply 46
Original post by MidnightMist
Do you think the exam board will just use past questions for part A since its a legacy paper now?

Whats a legacy paper?
Original post by bsbnah
Whats a legacy paper?

It means part of an old specification. There's a new specification now, we're the last year to be doing this paper.
Reply 48
Original post by MidnightMist
It means part of an old specification. There's a new specification now, we're the last year to be doing this paper.

The thing is i heard the Gov & Politics paper is also a legacy paper but regardless in todays exam they asked a brand new, horrible question so edexcel are unpredictable
does anyone have a model answer as to what extent the first world war was a key factor in the decision to restrict immigration?
Reply 50
does anyone have a model answer as to what extent the first world war was a key factor in the decision to restrict immigration?

Idk if this right but i wrote:

Intro - the immigration acts - emergancy immigration act etc & highlight your view

Para 1 - ww1 bought anarchism + communism ideologies to the USA - red scare, overthrowing the gov, sacco + vanzetti 2 anarchists, industrial unrest controlled by communists

Para 2 - KKK + WASPS, protecting white supremacy, before the war stopped jews from entering etc

Para 3 - Prohibition lead to gang crimes started by immigrants - al capone turf wars so it bought violence to america thus there needed to be restrictions

Para 4 - americab public threatened bc they were getting replaced and immigrants became a source of cheap labour and if all wages went down then this affects all american citizens as a whole so it wasnt ww1

And to conclude i would say say that it was WW1 that stimulated all these factors so WW1 is the main factor
Original post by bsbnah
The thing is i heard the Gov & Politics paper is also a legacy paper but regardless in todays exam they asked a brand new, horrible question so edexcel are unpredictable

Yeah I did that paper yesterday, some parts were really lovely but one question was horrible.

The only awful question we could get for this paper is that KKK one they did a few years back or one on the role of women.
Reply 52
For the Depression controversy what questions have come up? apart from what caused the depression with one factor as the main focus?
Reply 53
Yeah I did that paper yesterday, some parts were really lovely but one question was horrible.

The only awful question we could get for this paper is that KKK one they did a few years back or one on the role of women.

The 25 marker was horrible!

KKK is an alright question do you not think? & role of women?? I would hate thatt i havent revised that
Original post by bsbnah
The 25 marker was horrible!

KKK is an alright question do you not think? & role of women?? I would hate thatt i havent revised that

A whole question on the KKK is far too specific. I'm not revising women either!
Reply 55

Ive vaguely revised the social and political but mainly prosperity, so anything specific I'm screwed!
Reply 56

If they ask women, we are all screwed lol they've asked a Q on KKK in the past about their influence so who knows 😳
what grade would you give this- ww1 a key factor for us decision restrict immigration.

it is accurate to say to a far extend that world war 1 was a key factor in the us decision to restrict immigration. However it was not the most important factor as the main reason for the restriction of immigration were because attitudes of the south, the kkk and red scare.

The first world war heightened nationalism and suspicion towards foreigners as the bolshevik seizure of power seemed to pain an international conspiracy of left wing activists determined to overthrow capitalism.The war strengthened the intolerance of foreigners and quickly patriotism turned into prejudice,which suggests that world war 1 was a key factor as the war stimulated 'Americanism' which provoked a backlash against recent immigrants as the war associated immigrants with the threat of sabotage, which thus led to the atmosphere of fear and intolerance which contributed to the anti-immigration legislation as the world war gave the federal government more power and were able to create the legislation like the 1918 immigration act and the 1918 sedation act which both allowed deportation of immigrants which could be said to be reason also for both the 1921 and 1924 quota acts, which greatly suggest that to a far extent ww1 was a key role.

however the atmosphere of fear and intolerance started long before world war as the open door policy changed to a closed one where immigrants were only allowed if they could read and write also, the kkk existed before www and believed in white supremacy and would and hated immigrants as it went against their ideology as WASPS. This demonstrates that although ww1 was a key factor it was not the most important,however it was truly the red scare and the help from ww1 that ignitnited the reemergence of the kkk as the red scare was the perfect breeding ground for bigotry as the klan itself symbolised that and intolerance and with the growth of nationalism from the war the klan received a lot of support by 1921 having 1000 and they were being funded by subscription.They felt challenged by the immigrants especially those from eastern europe as it was felt they went against 'Americanism'. these factors being a reason why infact the attitudes and actions of the kkk actually being the key role in the decision to restrict immigration as the the kkk grew immensely, which could suggest the reason for the government legislation. in 1921 and 1924 the quota acts were established immigration firstly by 3% of each each nationality which limited immigration to 357,000, it went even further in the 1924 quota act which limited immigration to 2% being at 164,000.

Nonetheless red scare was undoutebly the most significant key factor to a far extent towards the decision to restrict immigration as red scare existed before ww1 and also was a huge factor that drove the kkk, However red scare was dramatically heightened by the russian revolution in 1917 causing also post war red scare, as immigrants were being increasingly linked with violent left wing politics, which led to growing fear and intolerance as it was considered a threat to capitalism in the us, especially German Hungarians and countries like Italy and eastern europe were largely associated with left wing politics. This fear of communism was maid apparent in the 1919 palmer raids where large Italian communities were raided in pursuit of anarchists and communist,this resulted in over 800 arrests, However this fear was highlighted also in the Sacco and Vanzzeti case where 2 robberies took place resulting in 2 police officers dead, suspicion immediately fell on the immigrant community , leading to the arrest of two Italian males , with little proof resulting in their death, with 22/35 witnesses saying these two men were not involved, This demonstrates that The red scare was in fact to a great extent the most important key role in the decision to restrict immigration as it demonstrated the huge fear America had and the extremes they would go to get rid of it.

In conclusion although ww1 was a key factor to a far extent it was not the most important as the the kkk and reducer existed before , ww1 just put pressure on tensions that was already there, which all ultimately comes down to red scare as being the most important key factor for the us discussion to restrict immigration.
Reply 58
Original post by Hann18
For the Depression controversy what questions have come up? apart from what caused the depression with one factor as the main focus?

President Hoovers policies - mainly that they were limited
Reply 59
what grade would you give this- ww1 a key factor for us decision restrict immigration.

it is accurate to say to a far extend that world war 1 was a key factor in the us decision to restrict immigration. However it was not the most important factor as the main reason for the restriction of immigration were because attitudes of the south, the kkk and red scare.

The first world war heightened nationalism and suspicion towards foreigners as the bolshevik seizure of power seemed to pain an international conspiracy of left wing activists determined to overthrow capitalism.The war strengthened the intolerance of foreigners and quickly patriotism turned into prejudice,which suggests that world war 1 was a key factor as the war stimulated 'Americanism' which provoked a backlash against recent immigrants as the war associated immigrants with the threat of sabotage, which thus led to the atmosphere of fear and intolerance which contributed to the anti-immigration legislation as the world war gave the federal government more power and were able to create the legislation like the 1918 immigration act and the 1918 sedation act which both allowed deportation of immigrants which could be said to be reason also for both the 1921 and 1924 quota acts, which greatly suggest that to a far extent ww1 was a key role.

however the atmosphere of fear and intolerance started long before world war as the open door policy changed to a closed one where immigrants were only allowed if they could read and write also, the kkk existed before www and believed in white supremacy and would and hated immigrants as it went against their ideology as WASPS. This demonstrates that although ww1 was a key factor it was not the most important,however it was truly the red scare and the help from ww1 that ignitnited the reemergence of the kkk as the red scare was the perfect breeding ground for bigotry as the klan itself symbolised that and intolerance and with the growth of nationalism from the war the klan received a lot of support by 1921 having 1000 and they were being funded by subscription.They felt challenged by the immigrants especially those from eastern europe as it was felt they went against 'Americanism'. these factors being a reason why infact the attitudes and actions of the kkk actually being the key role in the decision to restrict immigration as the the kkk grew immensely, which could suggest the reason for the government legislation. in 1921 and 1924 the quota acts were established immigration firstly by 3% of each each nationality which limited immigration to 357,000, it went even further in the 1924 quota act which limited immigration to 2% being at 164,000.

Nonetheless red scare was undoutebly the most significant key factor to a far extent towards the decision to restrict immigration as red scare existed before ww1 and also was a huge factor that drove the kkk, However red scare was dramatically heightened by the russian revolution in 1917 causing also post war red scare, as immigrants were being increasingly linked with violent left wing politics, which led to growing fear and intolerance as it was considered a threat to capitalism in the us, especially German Hungarians and countries like Italy and eastern europe were largely associated with left wing politics. This fear of communism was maid apparent in the 1919 palmer raids where large Italian communities were raided in pursuit of anarchists and communist,this resulted in over 800 arrests, However this fear was highlighted also in the Sacco and Vanzzeti case where 2 robberies took place resulting in 2 police officers dead, suspicion immediately fell on the immigrant community , leading to the arrest of two Italian males , with little proof resulting in their death, with 22/35 witnesses saying these two men were not involved, This demonstrates that The red scare was in fact to a great extent the most important key role in the decision to restrict immigration as it demonstrated the huge fear America had and the extremes they would go to get rid of it.

In conclusion although ww1 was a key factor to a far extent it was not the most important as the the kkk and reducer existed before , ww1 just put pressure on tensions that was already there, which all ultimately comes down to red scare as being the most important key factor for the us discussion to restrict immigration.

I'm not sure which grade but i'd say maybe a mid A bc of all the stats and analysis but you should add more factors :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending