The Student Room Group

Rolling First at junctions

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Robert8x
Hi, i learnt in a 1.6 diesel, and did a lot of rolling firsts at junctions, now im driving a 1.2 petrol and if i dare do a rolling first (unless im going to stop) the car bounces, yet if im in second it does work but sometimes stutters. what am i supposed to do? also if i go in to first i have to change gear to second while turning which is quite hard.
Thanks

What do you mean a rolling start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The advanced way is to brake to the speed you need, dropping the clutch before any juddering and then release the brake and select the appropriate gear when it's safe to go - usually 1st if you've had to stop and 2nd if you've kept moving.
What on earth is a rolling first :lol:
I have no idea what you are referring to but when driving you need to listen to the engine and feel feel the vibration of the car to decide what gear you should be in, not sticking rigidly to a script you were taught.
Reply 5
If you mean already moving when going into first gear then in a small car you need a high rev count. Small gears at higher speeds have a much higher rev count than higher gears (you already should know that).
So what you're doing is rev matching. When your clutch is pressed down the engine will be running at idle, around 1000. The car is moving already and the rev count of the engine if the clutch released would probably be 2000+ so you need to match it before you drop the clutch.
If you can't Rev match at 1 then go into 2 where the difference will be less and you won't judder as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending