The Student Room Group

Big boo boo(i've failed life)

So i got a D in the chem mock and that must be part of my predicted grades to send to uni's for offers.
What can i do about it?
If i'm stuck with this how can i get an AAA offer with that -.-?
help any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Getting a crap grade in a mock isn't exactly life ruining
Original post by TheFarmerLad

They are now used for prediction, so yes they are if you cannot get offers
Original post by ODES_PDES

Yes but there is more to life than getting a top mark in an exam
Reply 4

It is
Original post by ODES_PDES

This exactly is why i'm worrying
Yes but there is more to life than getting a top mark in an exam

Those grades are my life, i need then to get offers, no offers = no uni no matter what my A2 grades are
Reply 5
Wait, why would a mock be used to send off predictions to uni's, applications for uni are in your A2 year so predictions would go off of your AS results.
But in the case that they went off your mocks, I would speak to your Chemistry teacher, if you think you can achieve a lot better and just explain what happened, it was a bad test, you were tired, hadn't revised, whatever and they will be pretty understanding and will even probably ask you what you think you can achieve.
Original post by Big white
Those grades are my life, i need then to get offers, no offers = no uni no matter what my A2 grades are

You would still be able to apply the year after if your A2's come out well.

Anyway, you still have some time to get better and convince your teachers to bump your predicted grades.
Talk to your teacher about it and show your plan to improve your grade. If you explain your effective and realistic plan then your teacher may change that predicted grade.

Anyways predicted grades aren't the end of the world. Its about the actual grades you get, and once you get them you can go through adjustment.
Miss there's no need to stress. Pretty much every university knows the grades are crap during mock tests - simply because everyone's to busy to revise. Trust me, I'm at uni now so I kinda know what I'm clucking about. When I was at college I used to get U's and E's in rehearsals - I graduated with ABBB and I'm now top of the class at uni. So don't worry!!

What some of my friends did was - see their sixth form leader and ask them to pop the grades up on the prediction. Technically, they can do so if they know you are committed and will surpass the crappy D grades.

Hope everything goes to plan, Lewis xxx
So i got a D in the chem mock and that must be part of my predicted grades to send to uni's for offers.
What can i do about it?
help any advice?

Speak to your teachers before the summer.

Ask what you can work on over the summer to help boost your predictions.

When you get back in the autumn DEMONSTRATE to them that you've upped your game substantially and are capable of getting an A.

You don't have to apply until January - that's plenty of time to prove you're capable of exceeding your mock exam performance.
Reply 10
Original post by mikeymk
Wait, why would a mock be used to send off predictions to uni's, applications for uni are in your A2 year so predictions would go off of your AS results.
But in the case that they went off your mocks, I would speak to your Chemistry teacher, if you think you can achieve a lot better and just explain what happened, it was a bad test, you were tired, hadn't revised, whatever and they will be pretty understanding and will even probably ask you what you think you can achieve.

Because that's the best indicator of what uni's can see how well i can actually do.
That's funny actually because the test was pretty bad(specimen style with loads of maths i'd never done before, though i got plenty of pity marks i.e. method marks), I revised hard and i even remembered the equations for breaking down of the ozone layer and the radical stuff too. My teacher however has a personality like me and prefers to be blunt and tell the truth which i'm perfectly fine with however he refuses to bump me up 1 grade, if he thinks i can achieve that then he will but all in all, he's not gonna change it.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
You would still be able to apply the year after if your A2's come out well.

Anyway, you still have some time to get better and convince your teachers to bump your predicted grades.

hmmmm so the time between which i apply and which they can accept me once i've told them my A2 grades can be next to no time at all?
Original post by undercxver
Talk to your teacher about it and show your plan to improve your grade. If you explain your effective and realistic plan then your teacher may change that predicted grade.

Anyways predicted grades aren't the end of the world. Its about the actual grades you get, and once you get them you can go through adjustment.

I plan to but it never works, no matter how hard i work, i'll always come out with mediocre results.

Nope it's actually all about them predicted grades because like i said no offer= no uni and even a conditional offer is then given once you have shown you can get good grades in mocks Not if you can get good end results, unless that's what you can actually do???(can you get the grades from A2 then apply to the uni's?? But if you could do that then surely there'd be less chance of you getting in since you haven't had a conditional offer from them?).
Original post by Lewis Calvert
Miss there's no need to stress. Pretty much every university knows the grades are crap during mock tests - simply because everyone's to busy to revise. Trust me, I'm at uni now so I kinda know what I'm clucking about. When I was at college I used to get U's and E's in rehearsals - I graduated with ABBB and I'm now top of the class at uni. So don't worry!!

What some of my friends did was - see their sixth form leader and ask them to pop the grades up on the prediction. Technically, they can do so if they know you are committed and will surpass the crappy D grades.

Hope everything goes to plan, Lewis xxx

mmmm sure about that? :tongue:
However that's the problem lewis :/ people have done well and i've done absolute **** so obviously the one you'd give an offer to would be the one with a better mock grade even if you had the idea in mind that people generally do bad during mocks at this time.
They could but there's only so hard i can work and i guess the time just isn't there for me to plough ahead with things because i learn very slowly
Original post by PQ
Speak to your teachers before the summer.

Ask what you can work on over the summer to help boost your predictions.

When you get back in the autumn DEMONSTRATE to them that you've upped your game substantially and are capable of getting an A.

You don't have to apply until January - that's plenty of time to prove you're capable of exceeding your mock exam performance.

Ok i guess that's a good idea since everyone's been suggesting it.

I'm planning to try and teach myself C3+4 M2+3 FP1+2 D1 and S1+2 or as much of it as i can. And i'm going to also redo all my revision notes, clean them up and use all the material and humongous stack of sheets i have from my chem teacher to make good notes.

My game is upped but i don't know how much more i can go up or if this is my limit, i'm not sure i'm capable fo getting and A, i mean in pilosophy i can really do well in essays set in class time but in the exam i get U's, for essays in class i get A's and fairly often B's(I've gotten M1 M2 and 1 D1 grades) In maths it's an easy A but i want an A*, However the problem is chemistry since there's so much to learn....

There's time and another chance so i'd like all who've read this to suggest how i can do better on this chem mock the second time round since there's a retest for those who want it, obviously i'll take it, but this is it, the result i get from this is my final grade.....
mmmm sure about that? :tongue:
However that's the problem lewis :/ people have done well and i've done absolute **** so obviously the one you'd give an offer to would be the one with a better mock grade even if you had the idea in mind that people generally do bad during mocks at this time.

There's time and another chance so i'd like all who've read this to suggest how i can do better on this chem mock the second time round since there's a retest for those who want it, obviously i'll take it, but this is it, the result i get from this is my final grade.

Yes I am sure about what I said otherwise I wouldn't have said it in the first place. Best thing to do: don't think about others and don't think of yourself as a failure - it effects revision immensely. Clearly you know how to revise effectively because you completed GCSE's so just apply the same method. The reason why I am saying this is because there's little difference between GCSE and A-Level. Once you reach university, you will be studying at least 8 modules with shorter deadlines. You may start a module in September and finish it in November that's what I had to do. I got a 1st anyway and I'm sure you'll be just as good - YOU LITTLE BRAINYBOX.

One aspect that benefited me on the investigating disease unit (different course) was recording my important notes and listening to them in my sleep. It might not work for you, everyone is different, but you won't know until you try.

Best Wishes,

Lewis xxx
Reply 12

Yes I am sure about what I said otherwise I wouldn't have said it in the first place. Best thing to do: don't think about others and don't think of yourself as a failure - it effects revision immensely. Clearly you know how to revise effectively because you completed GCSE's so just apply the same method. The reason why I am saying this is because there's little difference between GCSE and A-Level. Once you reach university, you will be studying at least 8 modules with shorter deadlines. You may start a module in September and finish it in November that's what I had to do. I got a 1st anyway and I'm sure you'll be just as good - YOU LITTLE BRAINYBOX.

One aspect that benefited me on the investigating disease unit (different course) was recording my important notes and listening to them in my sleep. It might not work for you, everyone is different, but you won't know until you try.

Best Wishes,

Lewis xxx

Unfortunately since i'm a pessimist, i don't ever see how that's possible for me, i can't see a good end result.

I can't see how to change things this time round with chem, i did bad and i don't have time to revise this time since it cuts very close to my philosophy mocks too....
I plan to but it never works, no matter how hard i work, i'll always come out with mediocre results.

Nope it's actually all about them predicted grades because like i said no offer= no uni and even a conditional offer is then given once you have shown you can get good grades in mocks Not if you can get good end results, unless that's what you can actually do???(can you get the grades from A2 then apply to the uni's?? But if you could do that then surely there'd be less chance of you getting in since you haven't had a conditional offer from them?).

Do you panic when it comes to tests/exams or something? Because that isn't normal. If you work hard enough you definitely won't achieve mediocre results.

God forbid you don't get the predicted grades that you want, you can still apply for university and apply through adjustment on results day. Adjustment is like clearing but the other way - when you do better than expected. (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-–-if-you’ve-done-better-expected).

Yes you can get the A Levels then apply for UCAS. But thats a rushed process so you rather apply now and then go through adjustment. There is a less chance of getting in since the spaces may have been filled up. This doesn't mean there are no spaces for you in any university. Most universities have a few spaces to let in students from adjustment or clearing. It depends on your university and whether its an over subscribed course.
Reply 14
Original post by undercxver
Do you panic when it comes to tests/exams or something? Because that isn't normal. If you work hard enough you definitely won't achieve mediocre results.

God forbid you don't get the predicted grades that you want, you can still apply for university and apply through adjustment on results day. Adjustment is like clearing but the other way - when you do better than expected. (https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-–-if-you’ve-done-better-expected).

Yes you can get the A Levels then apply for UCAS. But thats a rushed process so you rather apply now and then go through adjustment. There is a less chance of getting in since the spaces may have been filled up. This doesn't mean there are no spaces for you in any university. Most universities have a few spaces to let in students from adjustment or clearing. It depends on your university and whether its an over subscribed course.

No i never **** myself in exams, even if i'm ****ed and i know nothing for it, that's ok i'm still not nervous.
However i agree with you and i've worked hard at physics and gotten nowhere with it... so yea that's that.

I see that's good then so hopefully i can but if i can get better grades than expected that's awesome.... then again i might not even get my predicted grade >.>
Unfortunately since i'm a pessimist, i don't ever see how that's possible for me, i can't see a good end result.

I can't see how to change things this time round with chem, i did bad and i don't have time to revise this time since it cuts very close to my philosophy mocks too....

Just out of curiosity, what are your current revision techniques?
Reply 16

Just out of curiosity, what are your current revision techniques?

Well it really depends what it is that i'm revising because it'll be different for each subject i do
Well it really depends what it is that i'm revising because it'll be different for each subject i do

The fact you have different tools for revising is a bit weird. Except for Maths obviously. I studied Biology, Health and Social Care, ICT and Business. I took down definitions and concepts with billboards and sticky notes. I used my tape recorder and past papers to revise analysis, case study and evaluation content. Consistency is key.

Have you created a detailed plan for revision. If not I recommend you do that for all your subjects and stick to it religiously. Don't say you don't have sufficient time, a plan takes five minutes to complete.

Best Wishes

Lewis xxx
What can i do about it?
help any advice?

Your alright mate, I just got a 2:2 in Uni so we can be failures together
Reply 19
The fact you have different tools for revising is a bit weird. Except for Maths obviously. I studied Biology, Health and Social Care, ICT and Business. I took down definitions and concepts with billboards and sticky notes. I used my tape recorder and past papers to revise analysis, case study and evaluation content. Consistency is key.

Have you created a detailed plan for revision. If not I recommend you do that for all your subjects and stick to it religiously. Don't say you don't have sufficient time, a plan takes five minutes to complete.

Best Wishes

Lewis xxx

Well i mean tbh you'd revise differently for any subject i believe but certainly i think that past papers are definitely a backbone to revision and are most certainly a good way to revise.

No because i believe it wastes time, i might make like a small list to see what i've learnt and what i haven't gone over just yet btu apart from that i feel as if i can waste wayyyy too much time doing stuff like that.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Your alright mate, I just got a 2:2 in Uni so we can be failures together

Not sure i understand the uni grading system....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending