The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Safest way to travel around Newcastle at night?

I’m starting at Newcastle uni in September and just wondering if anyone has any advice on the safest way to travel at night.

I’m asking this because I know there will probably be times when I’m having to travel on my own at night - I’m a music student, so will be going to gigs + concerts a lot, and sometimes on my own, meaning I would be travelling home at 10:30-11:30pm - not super late, but as a woman I like to plan ahead for a safe journey.

I’m in the park view accommodation, so on the uni campus but might be travelling home from the Sage or gig venues like Riverside, The Cluny, Think Tank etc.

Is Uber a good option, or are there any particularly good/safe taxi services?
Any other recs appreciated ☺️
Uber’s a good option. If you find a bus that stops directly in front of the place you wanna be or a short walk that’s cheaper. There’s also blue line as well.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m starting at Newcastle uni in September and just wondering if anyone has any advice on the safest way to travel at night.

I’m asking this because I know there will probably be times when I’m having to travel on my own at night - I’m a music student, so will be going to gigs + concerts a lot, and sometimes on my own, meaning I would be travelling home at 10:30-11:30pm - not super late, but as a woman I like to plan ahead for a safe journey.

I’m in the park view accommodation, so on the uni campus but might be travelling home from the Sage or gig venues like Riverside, The Cluny, Think Tank etc.

Uber is always good as well as blueline and budget taxis
Tbh a lot of places are within walking distance of the uni campus and it’s never too quiet when walking back
Reply 3
Original post by uopwerty
Stay away from the slum thuglet lives in.
@Pugglet

Boo, you do realise that this doesn’t annoy me xoxo
Reply 4
Original post by uopwerty
What about this? @Fermion.

addtext_com_MTkzOTE0NDkzNQ.png

Nope definitely doesn’t annoy me boo

4/10 for effort xoxo
You can call a male friend to go with you, he can protect you.
If you can`t find a male friend, you may contact a Chinese boy (student better) for company with you.
I believe Chinese boys are reliable

Hi,

I have found that Newcastle is an incredibly safe city to travel around at night and as such, you'd have absolutely no issue with walking around the city centre at night. Newcastle is now a 24 hour city and the centre of town never really shuts down. By the time the nightlife ends at around 4-5am, you'll find that people are then beginning their day.

The main streets are well lit and there are many people around at all hours of the day.

Of course, if you feel safer getting a Taxi, please do as its up to you and what you feel most comfortable with. However, you shouldn't really have to feel worried about your personal safety when out and about in Newcastle whatever the time.

Hope this helps and you feel more reassured.

For more information, please see https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/support/safety/

All the best!

Dominic (Student Ambassador)
Original post by Newcastle University Student Ambassador
Hi,

I have found that Newcastle is an incredibly safe city to travel around at night and as such, you'd have absolutely no issue with walking around the city centre at night. Newcastle is now a 24 hour city and the centre of town never really shuts down. By the time the nightlife ends at around 4-5am, you'll find that people are then beginning their day.

The main streets are well lit and there are many people around at all hours of the day.

Of course, if you feel safer getting a Taxi, please do as its up to you and what you feel most comfortable with. However, you shouldn't really have to feel worried about your personal safety when out and about in Newcastle whatever the time.

For more information, please see https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/support/safety/

All the best!

I agree with this as I never had any trouble walking back from nights out/social events this year, however I'd still never walk anywhere when alone at night, so provided you have at least someone else with you then I'd say you'll be fine. Otherwise, Uber is a good option (cheap in Newcastle too!), I can't say anything about other taxi firms as I've never used them :dontknow:

(edited 4 years ago)
I found it very safe as well but am always scared to walk at night there are many homeless people and many drug addicts

Newcastle as a city is very safe. You can book taxis to all locations to pick you up if you don't feel safe walking back late at night but there will be other people like yourself making their way home at the same time.
Perhaps you could find someone on your course or doing something similar like gigs etc living close by or in the same place to buddy up with and walk home together?

Here at Newcastle 1 Student Roost, we have a 24 hour manned reception and always ask our residents to save the office number in their phone. In case of any emergency they can call us and we an find a way to help them.

I hope this helps.
Hello! You may like to know the following information:

Emergency Taxi Service https://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/about/EmergencyTaxiScheme.htm

The Students’ Union, Newcastle University and Budget Taxis, have set up an Emergency Taxi Service to ensure you can get back to your accommodation if you find yourself stranded with no money. Please take some time to read about this scheme and make a note of the contact numbers, so you can access them if you ever find yourself in this position.

Safezone https://www.safezoneapp.com/

Safezone is a free app that connects you directly to University Security. If you raise an alarm or call for help, on-campus Security will be alerted so they can help you quickly and effectively.

We also have some advice on keeping yourself safe: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/community-living/safe/#individualsafety

Hope this helps! :smile:
- Ashleigh
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Newcastle University Ambassador
Hi,

All the best!

Is it safe to travel by the bicycle trail in quayside to dunston in the night?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending