The Student Room Group

How Important Are Gcse's For Uni

I have nearly finished my Last Gcse paper and I was wondering how much Universities look at Gcse's. as I am looking to do Law in Oxford.

I have 11 Gce Grades and I already Have 1 B that I know of.
I know I have nearly everything above a C and Probably be getting A/A* in History and RS B's in pretty much everything else but a possible C in maths.

But my school screwed up a lot with all of the coursework and I was affected by this a lot. They Lost my History Course work and I had to do it in a night and I had no evaluation like everyone else, a teacher left and took my and somone elses German Course and books with them and then lost them. So I quit and spent less than a year on Psychology.
We had 1.5 years of constant supplies for maths and learned nearly nothing

For It I Dropped It but still did the Test as it was super easy and boring but had less than 4 months to learn Computer science and in the test we had tons of stuff we were not even told about, and in my English The school may or may not have sent off all our Coursework and since I got near full marks in all my work I am very angry.

Long story short they effed up, But when/If I go to a interview or even a talk should I tell them about this as I do not want to come across like I am making bad excuses for why I did not do better. Or would it be better to just keep quiet and Hope I get All A* In my A levels, Somthing I think I can do.
It depends what you are applying for on how important your GCSEs will be.
Reply 2
Shouldn't your school be reported or something for losing coursework, it just annoys me to hear that coz of a school messing up, you're the one that has to pay the price.
As for whether they matter, for uni, not really, just work hard for your A-Levels and please tell me you are not going to your schools Sixth Form if they have one, you deserve better, much better.
But the last time I remember having to put my GCSE's was when I was looking for a Saturday job when I was 16, and again when I was 19, but only coz the job required a good maths GCSE, I think for UCAS you may have to put your GCSE results but its your AS results and predicted A levels that uni's are interested in.
Reply 3
Original post by AperfectBalance
I have nearly finished my Last Gcse paper and I was wondering how much Universities look at Gcse's. as I am looking to do Law in Oxford.

I know I have nearly everything above a C and Probably be getting A/A* in History and RS B's in pretty much everything else but a possible C in maths.

But my school screwed up a lot with all of the coursework and I was affected by this a lot. They Lost my History Course work and I had to do it in a night and I had no evaluation like everyone else, a teacher left and took my and somone elses German Course and books with them and then lost them. So I quit and spent less than a year on Psychology.

For It I Dropped It but still did the Test as it was super easy and boring but had less than 4 months to learn Computer science and in the test we had tons of stuff we were not even told about, and in my English The school may or may not have sent off all our Coursework and since I got near full marks in all my work I am very angry.

Long story short they effed up, But when/If I go to a interview or even a talk should I tell them about this as I do not want to come across like I am making bad excuses for why I did not do better. Or would it be better to just keep quiet and Hope I get All A* In my A levels, Somthing I think I can do.

The LNAT and other aspects of your application will be more important than your GCSEs

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence?wssl=1#
The Oxford website says that they are not optimistic of the chances of applicants getting in without a high proportion of A*/A grades.
Original post by AperfectBalance

Okford is a diffrent beast from a lot of unis most unis ask for a grade of C or above in Maths and English lit or equivalent (a BFD does just as well if it's in a related subject like for electronics a BFD in engineering does it). Oxford I've herd is different they ask for something like mostly A/A* with a few B's to be honest if thats true I honestly don't think you will get an offer.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply as long as your PS and predicted grades are good you might still get in nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

There are also other unis that might not ask for that Cambridge for instance don't really so much on GCSE's nor do any of the others i the to 10 for Law by all means apply for Oxford but do be prepared for disappointment
Reply 6
@AperfectBalance

Original post by Abstract_Prism
The Oxford website says that they are not optimistic of the chances of applicants getting in without a high proportion of A*/A grades.

Original post by jonathanemptage
Okford is a diffrent beast from a lot of unis most unis ask for a grade of C or above in Maths and English lit or equivalent (a BFD does just as well if it's in a related subject like for electronics a BFD in engineering does it). Oxford I've herd is different they ask for something like mostly A/A* with a few B's to be honest if thats true I honestly don't think you will get an offer.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply as long as your PS and predicted grades are good you might still get in nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

There are also other unis that might not ask for that Cambridge for instance don't really so much on GCSE's nor do any of the others i the to 10 for Law by all means apply for Oxford but do be prepared for disappointment

That's not how admissions at either Oxford (or Cambridge) works. GCSEs are, in the main, used contextually. Also a "less good" set of GCSEs can be offset by good performance in admissions assessments/tests, etc.

Yes, the typical candidate will indeed have a string of A*/A at GCSE but that's not to say they are required. And here's what Oxford itself says:

Most of those admitted will either hold or be predicted to obtain all As at A-level (or equivalent), and will already have an outstanding group of GCSEs (or equivalent) dominated by A*s and As. However our main interest is in academic promise and sometimes we may admit candidates whose existing qualifications, in our view, do not do justice to their academic abilities or potential.

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/undergraduate-admissions-faqs-ba-jurisprudence
(edited 7 years ago)
While GCSE's may not be important in the short term, they stay with you your entire life. I know someone who had a distinction in a masters in Aeroplane Engineering and he didn't get into the RAF because he had only got a B in his GCSE Maths.
Reply 8
Original post by cshstudent
While GCSE's may not be important in the short term, they stay with you your entire life. I know someone who had a distinction in a masters in Aeroplane Engineering and he didn't get into the RAF because he had only got a B in his GCSE Maths.

I doubt that was the reason. What role was this for?

e.g. RAF requirements for a Pilot
"You will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or acceptable equivalents) at a minimum of Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17), including English Language, and Mathematics, Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) Standard Grades; 5 at a minimum of Grade 2, including English Language and Mathematics"

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/
Original post by jneill
I doubt that was the reason. What role was this for?

e.g. RAF requirements for a Pilot
"You will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or acceptable equivalents) at a minimum of Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17), including English Language, and Mathematics, Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) Standard Grades; 5 at a minimum of Grade 2, including English Language and Mathematics"

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check/

some sort of engineering position I think - it might have been that he got a grade C but he needed a B, not 100% but he posted about it on Facebook.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
some sort of engineering position I think - it might have been that he got a grade C but he needed a B, not 100% but he posted about it on Facebook.

Again, sorry but he's being economical with the truth... none of the engineering roles require higher than a C at GCSE in any subject.

e.g. Engineer Officer:
An accredited Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate engineering or scientific subject, eg: aeronautical engineering; IT/IS engineering; mechanical engineering; electrical engineering; or electronic engineering.
Applicants must also have a GCSE at Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17) OR Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) at Grade 2 OR Scottish National Equivalent (SNE) at Grade 5 in English Language.
Original post by jneill
Again, sorry but he's being economical with the truth... none of the engineering roles require higher than a C at GCSE in any subject.

e.g. Engineer Officer:
An accredited Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate engineering or scientific subject, eg: aeronautical engineering; IT/IS engineering; mechanical engineering; electrical engineering; or electronic engineering.
Applicants must also have a GCSE at Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17) OR Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) at Grade 2 OR Scottish National Equivalent (SNE) at Grade 5 in English Language.

well don't berate me! the only point I was making was I had heard peoples gcse results biting them in the arse later down the line
Reply 12
well don't berate me! the only point I was making was I had heard peoples gcse results biting them in the arse later down the line

I'm not :wink: - I'm berating him through you :smile:

I'll stop now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending