The Student Room Group

GCSE’s for top russel group unis

Hi,
Due to some personal and educational circumstances at GCSE- sat in 2022 with Covid being a side issue, I am worried my gcse grades (9976555 +Distinction), I am now at a different much better school now and am thriving better than ever before,
However, I am concerned my GCSEs will hinder my applications to these universities despite working towards getting predicted A-level grades in the region of A*A*A/hopefully A*A*A*.
I want to study History & Politics / Politics &IR / Politcs but am worried my 6 (despite being the highest history grade in the year) will hold me back in getting onto the joint history and pol course, as well as my other grades hindering an application to the other courses.

I attended a state school and meet various contextual data. Do you think my GCSEs would stop me gaining an offer at the likes of:
Camb,
Kcl,
Durham,
Exeter,
York,
Edinburgh,
And other unis in this range, any feedback / stories / examples of people in a predicament similar to mine would be much appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
as far as I know the only uni that even takes GCSEs into consideration (besides potentially min requirements for maths and english) is Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
as far as I know the only uni that even takes GCSEs into consideration (besides potentially min requirements for maths and english) is Oxford
I believe this to be somewhat inaccurate. I’ve read some universities are more touchy about GCSE’s than others, with some considering GCSE’s as equally important as predicted grades. But again I’m unsure as to how accurate the sources I’ve read are and henceforth, I’m looking for more people’s opinions, so I thankyou for your contribution!
Original post by Eg3756
Hi,
Due to some personal and educational circumstances at GCSE- sat in 2022 with Covid being a side issue, I am worried my gcse grades (9976555 +Distinction), I am now at a different much better school now and am thriving better than ever before,
However, I am concerned my GCSEs will hinder my applications to these universities despite working towards getting predicted A-level grades in the region of A*A*A/hopefully A*A*A*.
I want to study History & Politics / Politics &IR / Politcs but am worried my 6 (despite being the highest history grade in the year) will hold me back in getting onto the joint history and pol course, as well as my other grades hindering an application to the other courses.
I attended a state school and meet various contextual data. Do you think my GCSEs would stop me gaining an offer at the likes of:
Camb,
Kcl,
Durham,
Exeter,
York,
Edinburgh,
And other unis in this range, any feedback / stories / examples of people in a predicament similar to mine would be much appreciated, thanks.
Hi!

I can totally relate to your situation, coming from a similar background and struggling with my GCSEs due to personal reasons. I would say not to worry too much about it, I ended up getting a couple of offers from Russel Group universities, including one or two universities in your list :smile: And now I am studying at Cardiff (a Russel Group uni) going into my third year!

Whether or not you get an offer of course depends on the admission tutors, but I wouldn't recommend stressing too much over it :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Either email the Unis and ask - or go to Open Days and ask : "How important are GCSEs"
Original post by Eg3756
Hi,
Camb,
Kcl,
Durham,
Exeter,
York,
Edinburgh,
Hi
I got 987766655 in my GCSEs in 2022 and currently hold 5/5 offers for politics and French, including KCL (European studies/French), Manchester and Sheffield! GCSEs are absolutely not the end of the world - make sure that your predicted grades and personal statement are strong, you will manage :smile: if you've got any questions, feel free to ask!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 6
Original post by erin11
Hi
I got 987766655 in my GCSEs in 2022 and currently hold 5/5 offers for politics and French, including KCL (European studies/French), Manchester and Sheffield! GCSEs are absolutely not the end of the world - make sure that your predicted grades and personal statement are strong, you will manage :smile: if you've got any questions, feel free to ask!
Hi,

Thanks, that sounds really promising! What are your other offers if you don’t mind my asking?
Original post by Eg3756
Hi,
Thanks, that sounds really promising! What are your other offers if you don’t mind my asking?
international politics and french @ university of bath + university of london institute in paris :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by erin11
international politics and french @ university of bath + university of london institute in paris :smile:
Hey, thanks for your reply, I was considering Bath myself, which university do you think you will choose and why?
From my own experience I feel like Cambridge considers more of their admission test over igcses (i might be wrong). My igcse grades aren't great, but I believe I achieved quite a high NSAA (admission test I had to take) result. If you do great on your admission test (if you have one) then it may cover up the gcse grades.
Original post by Pedr0

There are some other courses and unis which do weight GCSEs more (e.g. some courses at LSE, certain medical schools, etc).

Original post by Eg3756
Hi,

Camb,
Kcl,
Durham,
Exeter,
York,
Edinburgh,

However I don't think any of the listed unis are really that fussed. Cambridge does consider applications holistically so will consider GCSEs but generally see an upward trajectory positively so I don't think it would be an issue necessarily.

Unis don't care about GCSE subjects normally outside of maths and English language, they otherwise generally focus on overall grade profile.

You'd probably be fine honestly applying to most unis except Oxford and LSE (where you might be a bit weaker), provided you meet any maths/English language GCSE requirements.
Original post by Eg3756
Hey, thanks for your reply, I was considering Bath myself, which university do you think you will choose and why?
im not too sure at the moment, im going to a couple of offer holder days in April and then deciding :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Eg3756
Hi,
Camb,
Kcl,
Durham,
Exeter,
York,
Edinburgh,
You'd have to check the admission process documents each uni has on what bearing GCSEs have on the admission process. Bristol for example is 20% GCSEs and 80% A-Levels in their academic weighing for the majority of their subjects, UCL has a similar percentage to Bristol and have asked me to send my GCSE documents in. However, Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter are definately more interested in your background and personal statement over your GCSE's. Only issue I'd see is cambridge which definately has a more rigorous process and you'd be up against students that have similar grades + better performing GCSE grades.
Reply 13
Original post by tudu
You'd have to check the admission process documents each uni has on what bearing GCSEs have on the admission process. Bristol for example is 20% GCSEs and 80% A-Levels in their academic weighing for the majority of their subjects, UCL has a similar percentage to Bristol and have asked me to send my GCSE documents in. However, Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter are definately more interested in your background and personal statement over your GCSE's. Only issue I'd see is cambridge which definately has a more rigorous process and you'd be up against students that have similar grades + better performing GCSE grades.
Hi, thanks for your response, I’d read that weighting re-Bristol. Do you have any sources for the other info provided?
Reply 14

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending