The Student Room Group

Year 12s: what help do you need with making uni decisions?

This poll is closed

Year 12s: what help do you need with making uni decisions?

Course-specific info 9%
Info about uni life 8%
Help understanding student finance 6%
Info about what student support is available 3%
Someone at the uni to ask questions to 9%
Info about the process - what should I be doing and when? 25%
A way to compare uni courses 15%
Speaking with current students 7%
Online open days 2%
In-person open days 11%
A more general Ucas fair 0%
Tell us more about your answer in the thread3%
Total votes: 87
It was the Ucas application deadline for 2024 yesterday. If you’re in year 12, it’s only one year until it’s your turn to submit your application!

While it’s still early days, you might have already started thinking about your options. If you're planning on applying to university next year, have you already been researching what’s available?

And what information could universities give you now which might help you to narrow down your options?

Pop your questions in here we’ll share them with universities so they can get cracking on helping you out! :woo:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Vic Vinegar
It was the Ucas application deadline for 2024 yesterday. If you’re in year 12, it’s only one year until it’s your turn to submit your application!

While it’s still early days, you might have already started thinking about your options. If you're planning on applying to university next year, have you already been researching what’s available?

And what information could universities give you now which might help you to narrow down your options?

Pop your questions in here we’ll share them with universities so they can get cracking on helping you out! :woo:

Hey Year 12s, I am a current Year 13 student. If you need any guidance on UCAS Applications, I am also happy to answer some questions :smile:!
Main thing to do at the moment year 12s (and equivalent in Scotland and NI), is:
a) decide if uni is something that interests you - don't do it because you don't know what else to do
b) decide on a course/courses you'd be interested in
c) decide what's important to you in an institution

Don't just look at rankings
Original post by 04MR17
Main thing to do at the moment year 12s (and equivalent in Scotland and NI), is:
a) decide if uni is something that interests you - don't do it because you don't know what else to do
b) decide on a course/courses you'd be interested in
c) decide what's important to you in an institution

Don't just look at rankings

i second this ^ be educated on what other options there are apart from uni if you know that would suit your career path better ❤️
Reply 4
How important is going to a good uni (e.g oxbridge, london, russel)? Is it more important than a good course? e.g I’ve heard that Durham is in the top 5 for cs courses but it’s obviously not a really famous uni? Would you still be as competitive out of uni?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by kranon
How important is going to a good uni (e.g oxbridge, london, russel)? Is it more important than a good course? I’ve heard that Durham in the top 5 for cs courses but it’s obviously not a really famous uni?

Depends on what career sector you're interested in, but 96% of the time: no it doesn't matter in the slightest whether you go to uni that people believe is one of the best. What is important is the course and your preference. Not whether your Auntie Sharon thinks it's a good uni or not.
Original post by kranon
How important is going to a good uni (e.g oxbridge, london, russel)? Is it more important than a good course? e.g I’ve heard that Durham is in the top 5 for cs courses but it’s obviously not a really famous uni? Would you still be as competitive out of uni?

I dont think it matters at all unless you really want to go there. I think just visiting any universities that u might like and get the overall feel of it will help u the most deciding which one u can go to and see urself there 🙂
obviously courses differ through the unis so just look through each one and find what your most interested in
U can still do brilliantly at one that isnt a russel group so just depends what u want really
hope that helps
Hi, I want to apply to KCL for BSC psychology andhave attained these GCSE grades: 998776666.My predicted grades are: AAA*I got a 6 in GCSE maths which is what they require,however, I feel as though I may be disadvantagedcompared to someone who got 7/8/9I would appreciate any advice and thiughts onwhether it will affect my application.Thank you 🙂
Original post by Hneudkejwuad
Hi, I want to apply to KCL for BSC psychology andhave attained these GCSE grades: 998776666.My predicted grades are: AAA*I got a 6 in GCSE maths which is what they require,however, I feel as though I may be disadvantagedcompared to someone who got 7/8/9I would appreciate any advice and thiughts onwhether it will affect my application.Thank you 🙂

It won't affect your application in the slightest.

GCSE criteria exist purely as a threshold.
Let's imagine a university gets 100 applicants for a course but only 30 places.
It advertises a requirement of a 6 in GCSE maths, and 15 applicants don't meet that requirement - they can just be rejected straight away* and that leaves the uni with only 85 applications to seriously look through. Beyond that, most unis wouldn't give a toss about your GCSEs in the majority of cases.
See this thread for more:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

*unless there are exceptional circumstances explained in their UCAS reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending