The Student Room Group

Most to Least desirable parts of the UK.

The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As a native English citizen who has been everywhere in the UK, I have put together a list of what I feel, based on vibes/impressions/media stigma/and loads of other stuff, are the most to least desirable places to live in the UK.

Also, foreigners are more likely to get that quaint English vibe they see in the movies/stereotypes of England in places higher up the list. Also, while this list does kind of reflect the North South divide in England, North/South divide generally concerns house prices/wages, and this list is more about the visual aesthetic of towns and countryside/vibes/accents etc

This is my list it is by no means accurate or comprehensive of the nicest and most desirable places to live in the UK at the top of the list, to the worst hell like places at the bottom of the list

Beginning with central London, for example Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Kensington, Chelsea.

Moving outside of London to the cities of Oxford in Oxfordshire and Cambridge in Cambridgeshire.

Moving back within the M25 of greater London, for example Kingston on Thames, Walton on Thames, Oxshot, Elmbridge.

Expanding outside of the M25 into the surrounding home counties, for example, Surrey, Kent, Essex, Sussex, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Herfortshire, and Bedfordshire.

Moving west towards Gloucestershire and Wiltshire i.e. the Cotswolds

Moving to the east coast into East Anglia for example Norfolk, Suffolk

Moving back to the west past the Cotswolds into Dorset and Somerset.

Moving north from Somerset into the Southern Midlands i.e. Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire.

Moving back down south to Devon and Cornwall.

Leaving the south to go to York and Harrogate in North Yorkshire (the only two exceptions in the North of England).

Moving from there south into Cheshire.

Moving a little south to the East Midlands to Lincolnshire and Leicestershire/Rutland

Moving a little West into the East Midlands to Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire.

Moving into the West Midlands i.e. Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and Birmingham suburbia.

Moving far into the northwest of England to Cumbria. i.e. the Lake District

Moving directly east to county Durham and Northumberland.

Moving south west into Wales.

Moving North into Scotland i.e. Edinburgh.

Moving west into general Scotland.

Finally moving south into northern England i.e. Newcastle, Lancashire, South Yorkshire i.e. Sheffield, Leeds, Grimsby (although in Lincolnshire, forms Yorkshire and Humber region), Manchester, Merseyside. (These are typical depressed stigmatised Northern areas).

Finally, west across the Irish Sea to Northern Ireland.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hackney.
lol northern ireland
Reply 3
Original post by Voi
The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As a native English citizen who has been everywhere in the UK, I have put together a list of what I feel, based on vibes/impressions/media stigma/and loads of other stuff, are the most to least desirable places to live in the UK.

Also, foreigners are more likely to get that quaint English vibe they see in the movies/stereotypes of England in places higher up the list. Also, while this list does kind of reflect the North South divide in England, North/South divide generally concerns house prices/wages, and this list is more about the visual aesthetic of towns and countryside/vibes/accents etc

This is my list it is by no means accurate or comprehensive of the nicest and most desirable places to live in the UK at the top of the list, to the worst hell like places at the bottom of the list

Beginning with central London, for example Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Kensington, Chelsea.

Moving outside of London to the cities of Oxford in Oxfordshire and Cambridge in Cambridgeshire.

Moving back within the M25 of greater London, for example Kingston on Thames, Walton on Thames, Oxshot, Elmbridge.

Expanding outside of the M25 into the surrounding home counties, for example, Surrey, Kent, Essex, Sussex, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire, Herfortshire, and Bedfordshire.

Moving west towards Gloucestershire and Wiltshire i.e. the Cotswolds

Moving to the east coast into East Anglia for example Norfolk, Suffolk

Moving back to the west past the Cotswolds into Dorset and Somerset.

Moving north from Somerset into the Southern Midlands i.e. Northamptonshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire.

Moving back down south to Devon and Cornwall.

Leaving the south to go to York and Harrogate in North Yorkshire (the only two exceptions in the North of England).

Moving from there south into Cheshire.

Moving a little south to the East Midlands to Lincolnshire and Leicestershire/Rutland

Moving a little West into the East Midlands to Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire.

Moving into the West Midlands i.e. Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and Birmingham suburbia.

Moving far into the northwest of England to Cumbria. i.e. the Lake District

Moving directly east to county Durham and Northumberland.

Moving south west into Wales.

Moving North into Scotland i.e. Edinburgh.

Moving west into general Scotland.

Finally moving south into northern England i.e. Newcastle, Lancashire, South Yorkshire i.e. Sheffield, Leeds, Grimsby (although in Lincolnshire, forms Yorkshire and Humber region), Manchester, Merseyside. (These are typical depressed stigmatised Northern areas).

Finally, west across the Irish Sea to Northern Ireland.

You must have finished your exams!
Reply 4
Original post by M14B
You must have finished your exams!

Durham University.

Quick Reply

Latest