The Student Room Group

A levels

I've recently decided I want to study nursing I'm doing igcse in 2024 and ill be 18 years of age.Do I have to do alevels in order to do nursing. Are there any alternatives because I don't want to start university at 20 cause of the two years of alevels
(edited 4 months ago)
You need some form of level 3 or higher qualification, e.g. A Levels, access to nursing etc.

And you'll find people in their 40s and 50s doing nursing degrees. Don't be so hung up on your starting age
Reply 2
Original post by Fatuma_sharif
I've recently decided I want to study nursing I'm doing igcse in 2024 and ill be 18 years of age.Do I have to do alevels in order to do nursing. Are there any alternatives because I don't want to start university at 20 cause of the two years of alevels

What subjects do you need to become a nurse?
A-levels
[start]Some universities need you to have studied a science course (biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, health and social care), though this isn’t essential for others. General studies and critical thinking aren’t usually considered part of your points total, but are welcomed as an additional qualification.[/start]

BTECs
[start]Most universities will accept applicants with BTECs or other vocational qualifications. Entry requirements range from MMM to DDD for the Level 3 Extended Diploma. In some cases you’ll need to have studied a science-based subject or have a combination of BTECs and A-levels.[/start]

GCSEs
[start]Most universities will require you to have at least five GCSEs, with a grade C/4 or higher, including English and Maths. This is to prove you have the numeracy and literacy skills required to be a nurse.[/start]

International Baccalaureate
[start]Many nursing courses ask that you have at least a 5, 5, 5 at Higher Level, with top unis asking for 6, 6, 5. Some courses prefer you to have studied a science or health-related subject.[/start]
[start]Your grades form only a part of the entry requirements for nursing. University admissions teams will pay close attention to your personal statement, looking for evidence of relevant work experience and your desire to become a nurse.[/start]
[start]Most nursing courses will also invite you to attend an interview, via phone or in-person, to demonstrate why you would be a good fit for the course.[/start]

Can I get into nursing without A levels?
If you don't have the relevant A Levels to make it on to a nursing course, then the Access to nursing course will give you the knowledge and the qualification.The Access to HE Diploma (Nursing)focuses specifically on teaching you everything you need to know ahead of studying your degree.

I think if you don't meet the necessary entry requirements for university next year then perhaps you'll have to go and do a two year access course at your local college and then if you pass everything on the access course you'll be able to apply for nursing at almost every university in the Uk.

NHS registered midwife
Reply 3
Original post by Fatuma_sharif

you could try an apprenticeship. Maybe try researching those. They are quite beneficial cause they provide experience as well as education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending