The Student Room Group

Special consideration for A Level exams - what to do for University application?

Hi guys.
So currently, im on a gap year, doing extra private exams for French in order to get into University. I've firmed University of Birmingham.

I had my first written AS French Paper last Monday. However the weekend before it, I suddenly lost my 13 y/o niece. I was heartbroken and couldn't focus on the exam. I still did the exam because you know, i'd paid for it and I had revised well and didnt want to throw it away, even though I knew I would because of my lack of concentration. (Bearing in mind I only took a gap year to do these exams, as my sixth form did Edexcel and I didnt like it so I switched to AQA)

Not only did the examiners send me to my exam late that day, I didnt get the full extra time that I should've as my paper was collected in early. I answered a few question wrong which i realised after the exam (wrote in french instead of english) and missed out a lot of answers as I was still nervous and couldn't think straight.

Anyways, we did the funeral the next day so I tried to put the exam to the back of my mind. I had my final french exam 2 days ago and think it went okay, again I wasn't fully focused as I was with my family all of last week and was only able to focus on this exam on Sunday.

I feel like im not going to get the grade I need for University now. I told my exams officer the circumstances straight away before my AS paper and she kindly advised me that shed apply for special consideration. After finishing my A2 paper 2 days ago, I believe that I need to contact my University to also advise them of my situation, knowing my results will be badly affected. But can anyone advise me on what I need to tell them? Do i just explain that I've had a family bereavement or what?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
Hi guys.
So currently, im on a gap year, doing extra private exams for French in order to get into University. I've firmed University of Birmingham.

I had my first written AS French Paper last Monday. However the weekend before it, I suddenly lost my 13 y/o niece. I was heartbroken and couldn't focus on the exam. I still did the exam because you know, i'd paid for it and I had revised well and didnt want to throw it away, even though I knew I would because of my lack of concentration. (Bearing in mind I only took a gap year to do these exams, as my sixth form did Edexcel and I didnt like it so I switched to AQA)

Not only did the examiners send me to my exam late that day, I didnt get the full extra time that I should've as my paper was collected in early. I answered a few question wrong which i realised after the exam (wrote in french instead of english) and missed out a lot of answers as I was still nervous and couldn't think straight.

Anyways, we did the funeral the next day so I tried to put the exam to the back of my mind. I had my final french exam 2 days ago and think it went okay, again I wasn't fully focused as I was with my family all of last week and was only able to focus on this exam on Sunday.

I feel like im not going to get the grade I need for University now. I told my exams officer the circumstances straight away before my AS paper and she kindly advised me that shed apply for special consideration. After finishing my A2 paper 2 days ago, I believe that I need to contact my University to also advise them of my situation, knowing my results will be badly affected. But can anyone advise me on what I need to tell them? Do i just explain that I've had a family bereavement or what?

Thanks

Call the admissions team and ask if they have a specific procedure or process or form for extenuating circumstances.

You don't need to go into detail over the phone - just explain that personal circumstances have disrupted your exams and you'd like to know how best to go about notifying the university so that it is considered alongside your results in August.

They'll explain what you need to do.
Original post by PQ
Call the admissions team and ask if they have a specific procedure or process or form for extenuating circumstances.

You don't need to go into detail over the phone - just explain that personal circumstances have disrupted your exams and you'd like to know how best to go about notifying the university so that it is considered alongside your results in August.

They'll explain what you need to do.

Thanks ever so much for your help, I will do that now
I'd rep you if I could PQ.

OP if accepted then depending how they view it bereavements will get you 2-4% onto your mark, so it can make the difference between a grade or not.
Original post by 999tigger
I'd rep you if I could PQ.

OP if accepted then depending how they view it bereavements will get you 2-4% onto your mark, so it can make the difference between a grade or not.

Yeah that's what im worried about. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending