The Student Room Group

I'm hoping to apply to Oxford but I might have to resit

xx
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by bethgburke
So I recently took two A Levels early (with another two to be taken in summer 2024) and all went well with the first but with the second paper of the second I caught the wrong bus and ended up missing the exam entirely. I think I must've either failed or gotten a D and I'm really seriously worried that I'll be automatically rejected from Oxford on the basis of this grade, even though I intend to resit and hope to do better. Is there anything I can do? Would I have to declare the 'bad' grade to UCAS even if I intend to resit? Could I inform them of the context?

EDIT - this isn't a subject required for or relevant to the subject I intend to study (it's philosophy and I'm applying for biomed)

hey! i'm so sorry to hear that i know you must be so frustrated. i did further maths gcse and got a 6 and i didn't put it on my ucas bc i didnt want to and there wasn't a problem so i'm not actually entirely sure. have you spoken to your head if sixth form about this? surely if you did the exams early and you plan to resit next year they should take this into consideration?
So I recently took two A Levels early (with another two to be taken in summer 2024) and all went well with the first but with the second paper of the second I caught the wrong bus and ended up missing the exam entirely. I think I must've either failed or gotten a D and I'm really seriously worried that I'll be automatically rejected from Oxford on the basis of this grade, even though I intend to resit and hope to do better. Is there anything I can do? Would I have to declare the 'bad' grade to UCAS even if I intend to resit? Could I inform them of the context?

EDIT - this isn't a subject required for or relevant to the subject I intend to study (it's philosophy and I'm applying for biomed)

If you achieve a satisfactory grade in your other A level and have predicted grades that meet or exceed the entry requirements, then you should still stand a chance.

I’d first speak with the exams officer to see if you can get any special consideration for the missed exam first before assuming you’ve failed.

However, you absolutely MUST declare the result of your philosophy A level on your UCAS, even if you are resitting it, as not putting a whole A level on your application will likely get you rejected for lying.
Reply 3

One of my cousin's friends took 5 A-Levels in 2004: A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Business Studies and History. He got ABBCUU in his first sitting with his offer for PPE at University College, Oxford University and then he re-applied and got an AAA offer again from University College, Oxford University and the resit grades were AAAAA and he also got internships whilst at Oxford University. :biggrin:

So you should declare all your grades, as you can't lie as UCAS sends all the grades data every year to the universities you've applied to. Also, aim for A*A*A or more or ideally A*A*A* and you will get interviewed on the shortlist of candidates.

I wonder which A-Level subjects you're taking and which degree you wish you apply for at Oxford University in October 2023? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending