The Student Room Group

Can you re-apply to a uni you didn't meet the grade requirements of?

So I got into my insurance choice of uni yesterday but i have gotten major cold feet and realise that i don't want go there next month. I have decided to take the year out to resit and re-apply to uni. However i would like to apply to my firm choice uni again as I really like the course and the environment there, I was just wondering if I do this what the likelihood would be that they give me an offer again if I am re-sitting and explain my reasoning in my personal statement
Hi @jwalker109685,

I’m sorry your firm choice didn’t accept! It’s a good thing that you’re taking your time in making this decision. Ultimately, it’s your life and you want be happy with your decisions for university.

Resitting exams and reapplying to your firm choice university is a possibility, but there are a few important factors to consider:

1. University Policy: Each university has its own policies regarding resits and reapplications. Some may allow it, while others might not. Research the specific policies of the university you're interested in.

2. Timing: Check if the university accepts applications for the upcoming academic year. Deadlines for applications and resits can vary, so make sure you have the necessary information.

3. Personal Statement: Explaining your situation in your personal statement can be beneficial. Be honest about why you didn't meet the requirements initially and how you've improved or plan to improve your performance. Highlight your commitment and determination to succeed in the program.

4. Additional Information: Along with your personal statement, you might have the opportunity to provide additional information or reference letters to support your reapplication.

5. Other Options: While reapplying to your firm choice is one approach, also consider looking into other universities that offer similar programs. You might find institutions that are willing to accept your current qualifications or provide conditional offers based on your resit results.

Remember that the decision to reapply and the chances of acceptance will depend on the specific circumstances, the university's policies, and your overall application. It's a good idea to reach out to the admissions office of the university you're interested in to get accurate and up-to-date information about their reapplication process.

Hope this helps,
Ellie
Original post by jwalker109685
So I got into my insurance choice of uni yesterday but i have gotten major cold feet and realise that i don't want go there next month. I have decided to take the year out to resit and re-apply to uni. However i would like to apply to my firm choice uni again as I really like the course and the environment there, I was just wondering if I do this what the likelihood would be that they give me an offer again if I am re-sitting and explain my reasoning in my personal statement

Hi there :hello:

In principle yes, you can re-apply if you're resitting A-levels with the aim of getting the grades to meet the offer.

What is your reasoning for resitting? Is there more context than you just want to improve your grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

In principle yes, you can re-apply if you're resitting A-levels with the aim of getting the grades to meet the offer.

What is your reasoning for resitting? Is there more context than you just want to improve your grades?

Hi, thanks for the reply. It is mostly based off of improving my grades as I want to go into engineering but i got a D in both maths and physics. But it is also because i know i can do better, my sixth form makes us do assessments 6 times a year on the run up to exams and i have never scored below a B in maths, I even got an A* in april on the very unit that i ended up getting a U on in the final exam. I am talking to my sixth form about the possibility of remarking but even then if my grade goes up it wont be as high as I would need it to be. The other reason, without going into too much detail, is that there were matters in my personal life that really impacted me during exams but at the time i didnt feel comfortable talking about it so i never informed my college and see if we could request special consideration.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi, thanks for the reply. It is mostly based off of improving my grades as I want to go into engineering but i got a D in both maths and physics. But it is also because i know i can do better, my sixth form makes us do assessments 6 times a year on the run up to exams and i have never scored below a B in maths, I even got an A* in april on the very unit that i ended up getting a U on in the final exam. I am talking to my sixth form about the possibility of remarking but even then if my grade goes up it wont be as high as I would need it to be. The other reason, without going into too much detail, is that there were matters in my personal life that really impacted me during exams but at the time i didnt feel comfortable talking about it so i never informed my college and see if we could request special consideration.

Ok so yes, I guess it's worth a try resitting it might be that you had a bad day (or were having a bad few months). As others have said, check that the relevant uni don't take issues with people resitting and reapplying, but otherwise it's worth a go. I'd just advise also making sure you apply for some unis that meet your currently achieved grades, just in case the worst happens again next year.

Alternatively are you sure you don't want to go to your insurance choice? What would be your plans for your year out? Would you be staying at school/college to resit? I'd really advise against choosing to take a gap year without firm plans for what you wanted to do with it.

Hey , I totally understand what you mean. I had As and Bs throughout the school year and even A* in maths in December and April mocks , but in my final alevel exams I got D . I'm going to resit and reapply next year as well. I spoke to a few unis and they said they understand and will consider me next year as a new applicant and won't look much at my results this year. Maybe you could try the same thing?
Original post by Jannet2ester
Hey , I totally understand what you mean. I had As and Bs throughout the school year and even A* in maths in December and April mocks , but in my final alevel exams I got D . I'm going to resit and reapply next year as well. I spoke to a few unis and they said they understand and will consider me next year as a new applicant and won't look much at my results this year. Maybe you could try the same thing?

Hi, I am also looking to resit my subjects, are you thinking of going back to your sixth form or resitting privately [e.g online or at a resit academy]?
Original post by Student21065
Hi, I am also looking to resit my subjects, are you thinking of going back to your sixth form or resitting privately [e.g online or at a resit academy]?

Hiya, I'm doing it online. Will only go to school for the final exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending