The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Not a necessity but it is probably useful to have your own computer.
Reply 2
i couldnt imagine life without a computer :smile:
Reply 3
The answer is probably, no, you don't NEED a laptop, but yes you will find one incredibly useful. For me, having my own computer will be about being able to use a PC whenever I want, without having to go to a computer room or library and find one.

And of course leaving work till an insane hour at night, being able to sit in my pyjamas and work in my room.
Reply 4
If ure staying in a dorm....... which would be a better purchase... a laptop or desktop??
Reply 5
i wud say a laptop, its much more practical and handy.
Plus theres alot less problems wid laptops compared to comps
Reply 6
Sharma

Plus theres alot less problems wid laptops compared to comps

Really :eek:
Reply 7
Leekey
Really :eek:

no, and if you get a hardware problem its harder to fix on a laptop
Reply 8
cobra01977
no, and if you get a hardware problem its harder to fix on a laptop

Kinda what I was trying to imply with the " :eek: "!!! :wink:
Reply 9
ok, well i dont know whether to bother to get a laptop or not. A laptop was my 18th birthday present but i havent bought it yet, n havent been given money either. I do own a standard pc which i took from my dads work, it has office etc on, but dony think it has any form of modem. So do i get laptop? or do i take just laptop to uni? or do i take both? I'm very good at using computers but no idea about specifications etc etc, so any suggestions of decent laptop would be useful. thanks.....going to be doing mech eng by the way.
Reply 10
not a necessity..
i would rather suggestion own a Desktop. You will not take ur laptop around in ur Uni life, won't you?
Reply 11
a laptop sounds alot easier, one box, you can use you desk for writing as well, you can take it with you. Also there almost as cheap as pc's at the moment. :smile:
Reply 12
Gota be a laptop rather than desktop for the saved space and you can put out of the way when you're not using it.

Probably easier for would be theives to get away with a laptop though....
Reply 13
I'm gettnig a desktop

value for money!
Reply 14
I was wondering the same question as well. If i own a laptop in a room that i might share with another student, then woudn't it be a bit risky?
Reply 15
you could get one of those kengsington laptop locks (about £30 in the shops) £15 on ebay). That should tie it down well. :biggrin:
You can get nice alarmed units *Defcon* which are just as good, the cable is just as measely as the true Kensington locks but it has an alarm, cut and motion sensor with a 9v battery. I have one of each but it will be the Defcon I take to Uni....they are little more than £5 on ebay:

e.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5120223599&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31521&item=6702937746

Latest