The Student Room Group

TSR Mysql database

Im guessing this website runs off a dedicated server using a Mysql database, since its a vbulletin program.
I used to have a vbulletin thing a few years back.
Out of interest then, with all the tens of thousands of posts in this forum, how big is the mysql database file?
(if a mod could answer this, it would be brilliant :smile: )
:tsr2:
btw sorry for posting in wrong category, clicked in wrong thing by mistake..
Reply 1
I think only admin would be able to answer your question with any level of certainty...and since you posted this in Gaming, where the hell were you planning on posting it in the first place? :s:
Reply 2
i wanted to post it in computers since this site runs on a server, which is a computer basically. but "about the student room" is an equally good place
Reply 3
Unfortunately, the admins are probably too busy to answer "out of interest" questions. Nobody's quite sure *what* they're doing that's making them so busy, but the fact remains :p:
My forums (admittedly, IPB, not vBulletin) has 200,000 posts ish and about 250 members, and its (gzipped) mysql file is about 70mb. TSR just went passed its 9million post mark. It also had a load more, even proportionally to posts, members than mine, but I dunno how much of the file they take up so let's ignore them. Obviously size of post etc matters, but we have a fair few beats on my forums too, so hopefully it's roughly proportional.

(9,000,000 / 200,000) * 70 = 3150

So I would guess around the 3 gig mark - maybe with the extra users 3.2gb (given that 3gB actually = 3072mB) when gzipped.

Of course, I could be entirely wrong...
Reply 5
wesetters
I have a vague memory of pig mentionning it a while back, think it's quite a bit bigger than that. On the other hand, I may just be being delusional again :smile:

Last time I looked it was about 12Gb, that was a few months ago though.
**** me.
Stick Man
Unfortunately, the admins are probably too busy to answer "out of interest" questions. Nobody's quite sure *what* they're doing that's making them so busy, but the fact remains :p:

Having lives. :wink:
Reply 8
Oh come off it everyone knows that mods are hardwired into the system, they can't have a life because they aren't truely alive.
Reply 9
haha
it just goes to show how clever mysql is then-retrieving certain posts etc.. out of a 12gb database whenever you load a page.
it does it in less than a second, and compare that to the amount of time it takes to do a search function in windows to find something on your HD
windows should use mysql!

i think mysql must have limits though. the biggest databases always seem to be .net framework or something like that..
.net support mysql now.

Incidentally, Vista was going to index the PC using mysql, but it got pulled, along with WinFS and some other, actually useful, features. Apparently they'll be implemented in the service packs, but don't hold your breath.
Reply 11
DanGrover
.net support mysql now.

Incidentally, Vista was going to index the PC using mysql, but it got pulled, along with WinFS and some other, actually useful, features. Apparently they'll be implemented in the service packs, but don't hold your breath.

very interesting thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Nefarious
Oh come off it everyone knows that mods are hardwired into the system, they can't have a life because they aren't truely alive.

I wish I was hardwired into the system...then I wouldn't have to be on this college course :rolleyes: Two more weeks and then the other mods' workload will be cut down (modding is a pain in the arse on these computers so I don't do much here)

Latest

Trending

Trending