The Student Room Group

Is Turkey regarded as a safe destination to holiday at?

I intend to go to Turkey, mainly around Istanbul, this summer and it would be nice if someone could suggest a bit more about the place, especially if they've been there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The cities and metropolitan areas may be dangerous due to the terrorist threat. However, the rest of the country should be safe, expect for the border with Syria, of course. I don't think that going to Istanbul will be very safe, I wouldn't do it. However, I'm not from there so it's just what I know from the news and common knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll be fine providing you stay away from areas of heavy military/police presence, rallies or large public gatherings of any kind, and the Syrian border.

Turkey understands their tourism industry is collapsing right now, so most tourist resorts will likely have improved security to guarantee its security.

If you want to be extra safe, you could always buy a covert armored vest in the event that something does happen near you - but the chances of this happening are too slim to really warrant such a measure.

Have fun in Turkey!
Check the FCO travel advice for the most up-to-date info
No.
Reply 5
I would suggest giving it a miss this year.
Reply 6
Capture.PNG

Based on this map, you should be alright. But try and organise a tour guide when going around.
Go to Antalya! I just returned and I loved it :smile:
Is this a genuine question considering the recent attacks in Turkey?
Reply 9
Original post by Wolfram Alpha

If you notice the date of the OP, it was before the most recent attack.
Original post by hxfsxh
I intend to go to Turkey, mainly around Istanbul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36658187

Be careful.
Nowhere is safe to be honest these days.

This was posted before the large attack this week. Prior, to that, I was aware of the attacks, but these were around Ankara, which is not close to my resort.
Original post by hxfsxh
This was posted before the large attack this week. Prior, to that, I was aware of the attacks, but these were around Ankara, which is not close to my resort.

Ankara might be a lot safer and a lot further away from the hot zones.
Original post by Al-farhan
Ankara might be a lot safer and a lot further away from the hot zones.

I must go !

It's still highly unlikely that anything will happen. :rolleyes:
Considering the recent terror attack at an AIRPORT, I'd advise against. Holidays to Turkey at the moment are very cheap because of falling tourism, but I wouldn't risk it. Not in the current climate.
Original post by queen-bee
I must go !

Turkey is an amazing place and we mustn't let scum like isis put us off from visiting it and being in awe of its historical and cultural beauty.
Would still go to Istanbul.
Cant give advice on saftey - but I hope tourism remains successful in turkey

Been there 4 times in my life, and loved all 4 visits, usually go to the south coast - and the people/places there are amazing

Quick Reply

Latest