The Student Room Group

are people cancelling their hols abroad with extreme heat?

No. Your travel insurance won't cover disinclination to travel. Might pay out if the Foreign Office eventually advises against it (check the small print).
Just be sensible (!)
Stay in bed during the day in a nice air-conditioned room and venture out after the sun goes down and sleep on the beach.
Reply 2
I read in the paper that many people did this as they saw no point in going to such extreme heat and get ill. I wondered if people took the risk.
Original post by Kutie Karen
I read in the paper that many people did this as they saw no point in going to such extreme heat and get ill. I wondered if people took the risk.

My son is going travelling/hostelling in Switzerland for a fortnight in August, my daughter is off to the south of France at the end of this month, we have a family trip to Menorca during August too and then in September we'll be heading to the art galleries of Madrid.

Just don't be too stupid with the alcohol intake and respect the weather. There's a reason the siesta was invented and why in some countries, evening meals don't start until 9:30/10pm or later :-)
Original post by Kutie Karen

With that extreme heat abroad, some folks might be reconsidering their hols, you know? It's all about staying safe and chill, and if the weather's too hot to handle, it's better to play it smart and maybe opt for a cooler destination or find some local fun instead.
Reply 5
Original post by Greekbraveheart
With that extreme heat abroad, some folks might be reconsidering their hols, you know? It's all about staying safe and chill, and if the weather's too hot to handle, it's better to play it smart and maybe opt for a cooler destination or find some local fun instead.

yes that is true. The problem is that those people already due to fly out are kinda of stuck as what best to do. They could lose their money for hte holiday they have been saving for. Feel sorry for them.
You can find the latest advice by country on the Foreign Travel Advice webpages, including the ability to sign up for email alerts about your destination.

If there have been any recent updates to the advice, there will be a note at the top of the page to direct you to the updates.

As others have said, it is always wise to check what your travel insurance policy covers and speak to your holiday provider for the latest information they are providing.
Reply 7
Some people intentionally choose destinations known for their hot weather and enjoy the heat as part of their vacation experience. Others may not be accustomed to extreme heat and prefer cooler destinations.
Reply 8
Original post by quakyducky
Some people intentionally choose destinations known for their hot weather and enjoy the heat as part of their vacation experience. Others may not be accustomed to extreme heat and prefer cooler destinations.

Who enjoys 40°C+?
Original post by Quady
Who enjoys 40°C+?

Not me particularly, but next weekend it'll be 30 degrees in Madrid and sunny, so I'm going to pop over to have a few beers, some food, some wine, hablar un poco de Espanol and to go and see Guernica. Fairly typical of the weather this time of year.
No way! The UK didn't have a summer this year so I'd rather go some place where my skin is going to boil and bubble like crispy bacon than remain in the UK where it's mid July and I'm standing on the pavement with rain pouring down and flattened hair.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SomeonesDad
Not me particularly, but next weekend it'll be 30 degrees in Madrid and sunny, so I'm going to pop over to have a few beers, some food, some wine, hablar un poco de Espanol and to go and see Guernica. Fairly typical of the weather this time of year.

Yes, it's September now.

This thread is from two months ago when it was over 40.

I'm booked to go to Barcelona in December when it'll be 20. Valencia was bliss last December when the central belt was freezing its condensate pipes.
Reply 12
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
No way! The UK didn't have a summer this year so I'd rather go some place where my skin is going to boil and bubble like crispy bacon than remain in the UK where it's mid July and I'm standing on the pavement with rain pouring down and flattened hair.

May to the 16th of June was bangin'. I was getting worried for our grass.
Original post by Quady
May to the 16th of June was bangin'. I was getting worried for our grass.

Not where I live, I didn't experience even a week straight of sun. Yes, it was muggy and warm for months but if there isn't a lot of sun then I don't consider that true summer personally.
Reply 14
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Not where I live, I didn't experience even a week straight of sun. Yes, it was muggy and warm for months but if there isn't a lot of sun then I don't consider that true summer personally.

There was a lot of sun where I live. Enough to give me a burn that peeled and I'm not a ginger.

Screenshot_20230925_184020_Gallery.jpg
Original post by Quady
Yes, it's September now.

This thread is from two months ago when it was over 40.

I'm booked to go to Barcelona in December when it'll be 20. Valencia was bliss last December when the central belt was freezing its condensate pipes.

Yes. I've done Barcelona in December and it was comfortable t-shirt weather. I got mugged on the metro and spent my birthday in the police station, but at least the weather was good!!
Only been to Valencia in the summer but the buildings in the city didn't seem to act like massive storage heaters so it was really pleasant and not uncomfortable.
Greece is nice at the moment.
Oh no! That's too hot. Probably 30°C+
Original post by Quady
Who enjoys 40°C+?

Quick Reply

Latest