The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SoundDevastation
Yup.. Sunn O))), Khanate, ASVA, Nadja, Moss, Monarch, Ginnungagap.. Also been listening to alot of Buried at Sea, Burning Star Core, Aethanor, Halo Manash... i love the ridiculously heavy and slow, though i think we might be alone in here.

I see from your av youre an Animal Collective fan too... nice.

just... no.

awesome :cool:

seeing Sunn O))), Boris & Earth in December.
that's good doom-tacular line up

and yep :smile: you don't get much better than Spirit, HCTI or Campirefire Songs.
I want to go to that gig so badly.. i hate the fact i have to work all weekend! Never managed to see Sunn O))), have seen Khanate though and that was amazing.

I love all AC albums in different ways, Spirit has got to be my favourite though by far.
Reply 582
FluffyDinosaur
Best ever bands created.

I Killed the Prom Queen www.myspace.com/ikilledthepromqueen
Architects
Bring Me The Horizon ( No matter how much people hate their looks / success , they are extremely successful and skilled ) www.myspace.com/bmth
Parkway Drive

This is a joke right?
3rd rate metalcore bands are the "best bands ever"? Why not just listen to the bands who they plagiarise from?
Reply 583
I used to be well into metal... now all I like is Nightwish and a bit of Disturbed :frown: I tend to skip everything else if it comes up on shuffle in iTunes.
Reply 584
Steezy20
I used to be well into metal... now all I like is Nightwish and a bit of Disturbed :frown: I tend to skip everything else if it comes up on shuffle in iTunes.

What do you listen to now instead?
Reply 585
Indie... basically... alt as well.
Reply 586
Steezy20
Indie... basically... alt as well.

Noooo! When did you go over to the dark side?
You can't headbang to Indie!
Reply 587
My favourite bands are:

Rammstein
Lacuna Coil
Epica
Within Temptation
Deathstars
Emilie Autumn
Dimmu Borgir
Apocalyptica

That sort of thing. Anyone else into a similar thing?
Reply 588
SmilerNuts
Noooo! When did you go over to the dark side?
You can't headbang to Indie!

Second year of college... especially at uni as well...If you aint a rah here... you listen to Indie music.

Listened to Gwar - *******ing an animal yesterday... took me back a few years... hilarious stuff.
I used to be a "Sweatie" at school but then I lost interest because I tried to be "normal" so I got into indie music and then when I went to uni I discovered some new bands and I'm like totally different now from three years ago.
Reply 590
AerisYuna
I used to be a "Sweatie" at school but then I lost interest because I tried to be "normal" so I got into indie music and then when I went to uni I discovered some new bands and I'm like totally different now from three years ago.

What's a sweatie? :s-smilie:
So what did you listen to then and now, give us some examples so we can laugh :biggrin:

Steezy20
Second year of college... especially at uni as well...If you aint a rah here... you listen to Indie music.

Listened to Gwar - *******ing an animal yesterday... took me back a few years... hilarious stuff.

What's a rah? :s-smilie: I can't stand indie, never have and probably never will. You know you wanna come back to metal, no one can ever truly leave it alone :wink:
Why did you stop with the metal anyway?
Reply 591
SmilerNuts
What's a rah? :s-smilie: I can't stand indie, never have and probably never will. You know you wanna come back to metal, no one can ever truly leave it alone :wink:
Why did you stop with the metal anyway?

A rah is one of those posh snobby, 'daddy paid for me through uni' kind of people that wear ugg boots, tracky bottoms, uni hoodies, backcomb their hair to make it look scruffy and eat sushi regularly...
As I got more into metal... I listened to more and more bands... and it dawned on me that most of it is just screaming and shouting... no lyrics and mostly samey samey kind of stuff. I'm a big fan of lyrics so I wanna hear them.

...and a sweatie I believe is a mosher... a smellie... someone who goes around in baggy jeans with chains on and a black nirvana hoodie....
My musical life isnt very eventful it went something like this:

pop-rock, alt-rock, 'mosher', death metal, hardcore -----> all kinds of extreme stuff.

Somewhere along the line though i did go off track to post-rock, ambient, experimental indie and freak-folk.
Reply 593
Steezy20
A rah is one of those posh snobby, 'daddy paid for me through uni' kind of people that wear ugg boots, tracky bottoms, uni hoodies, backcomb their hair to make it look scruffy and eat sushi regularly...
As I got more into metal... I listened to more and more bands... and it dawned on me that most of it is just screaming and shouting... no lyrics and mostly samey samey kind of stuff. I'm a big fan of lyrics so I wanna hear them.

...and a sweatie I believe is a mosher... a smellie... someone who goes around in baggy jeans with chains on and a black nirvana hoodie....

Oh, so you get the choice of being a stuck up rich kid or an indie kid? Wow, tough life dude... :p:
Yeah, I know what you mean about lyrics man, they're one of the most important parts of a song to me. And I can really connect with the lyrics from metal songs. If you wanna hear them just listen to a lot of metal and you can soon make them out or else read the lyric sheet. It's true that metal was getting a bit stagnant for a while but there are some amazing bands out there that are pushing the boundaries. Indie sounds pretty samey to me tbh.

Lol what a great stereotype!
Reply 594
SoundDevastation
My musical life isnt very eventful it went something like this:

pop-rock, alt-rock, 'mosher', death metal, hardcore -----> all kinds of extreme stuff.

Somewhere along the line though i did go off track to post-rock, ambient, experimental indie and freak-folk.

Haha yeah, everyone starts off on stuff like Blink 182 and the Offspring. And from there, for me anyway, it was nu metal, alt-rock, metalcore + death metal + hardcore.
SmilerNuts
What's a sweatie? :s-smilie:
So what did you listen to then and now, give us some examples so we can laugh :biggrin:

A sweatie's another word for an emo that was mainly used in the late 90s/early 00s (I think it still is) and you just used to wear a hoodie with Slipknot, Papa Roach or Linkin Park on the back (Mine was a Staind one) and then I started listening to Killers, Hard-fi, Kaiser Chiefs and Feeder and now I like stuff like Nightwish, Kamelot, Apocalyptica, Dimmu Borgir and Entwine.
Just started to listen to some serbian stuff like Magica and Deschere :smile:
Steezy20

Hey I eat sushi regularly but I'm not a rah.... I hate ugg boots and trackies, I have a uni hoodie but I mainly just wear it when I go jogging.
SmilerNuts
Haha yeah, everyone starts off on stuff like Blink 182 and the Offspring. And from there, for me anyway, it was nu metal, alt-rock, metalcore + death metal + hardcore.

ahem! :p: i was at least mainly british music orientated... Ash > Muse > The Cooper Temple Clause > Lostprophets > Pitchshifter > SiKth... then Opeth etc, then Carcass, then Cult of Luna and Isis... Converge and Circle Takes The Square alongside.. and it just goes down from there :tongue:

Lyrics arent that important to me... id say about 20% of my favourite bands are completely instrumetal anyway! I do take not of lyrics though, and lyrical style and content can drastically alter my opinion of the band. One of my favourite bands at the moment is Fall of Efrafa - not only is their music stunning but their lyrics are very strongly atheist and vegan - very close to my own beleifs, not to mention beautifully written.

Stained. LOL
Reply 599
SmilerNuts
Oh, so you get the choice of being a stuck up rich kid or an indie kid? Wow, tough life dude... :p:
Yeah, I know what you mean about lyrics man, they're one of the most important parts of a song to me. And I can really connect with the lyrics from metal songs. If you wanna hear them just listen to a lot of metal and you can soon make them out or else read the lyric sheet. It's true that metal was getting a bit stagnant for a while but there are some amazing bands out there that are pushing the boundaries. Indie sounds pretty samey to me tbh.

Lol what a great stereotype!

I literally know of one solitary person that likes metal.
I know a fair few that are into DnB as well. Thats about the most of it though... everyone likes a good bit of cheese... but thats only to get drunk and dance to.

Latest