The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980

Bad Life - The Day You Die

“a procession of every half heard sound that ever seeped through heat cracked walls distorted.”

“to sum it up as concisely as possible, this record is a fusion of both post-punk’s and doom metal’s versions of depression. hearing curisms alongside clear black sabbath influence seems to be a rather unpalatabe combination, but BAD LIFE make it work perfectly."

So basically, post-punk / shoegaze / doom metal

It's immense.
Holy **** I wish I could get down to London to see Skepticism. Any fans of <code>? One of my favourite bands. The Resplendent Grotesque album is simply stunning.
Original post by Betacra

Bad Life - The Day You Die

“a procession of every half heard sound that ever seeped through heat cracked walls distorted.”

“to sum it up as concisely as possible, this record is a fusion of both post-punk’s and doom metal’s versions of depression. hearing curisms alongside clear black sabbath influence seems to be a rather unpalatabe combination, but BAD LIFE make it work perfectly."

So basically, post-punk / shoegaze / doom metal

It's immense.

Very nice!
Reply 5983
Original post by concubine
Why do people put **** like this?

And this:

Because you know the really annoying questions you get when you meet someone for the first time like, 'What kind of music do you listen to?' it's so much easier if you have a genre that the majority of the music you listen to is in. When I just say 'everything', nobody believes me, even though it's practically true. When I just say 'rock and metal' they instantly assume I like classic and glam, but I don't most of the time.
If I say nu metal it describes most of the stuff I listen to and it avoids so much confusion...
Then don't answer the question, just stare them down. > : |

I just tell people I enjoy whatever sounds good (amazingly, it's not a lie!!11 :redface:).

Original post by Betacra
wordslol!11

Had never heard of these guys, this is pretty cool.

Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Any fans of <code>? One of my favourite bands. The Resplendent Grotesque album is simply stunning.

Great band. 'In the Privacy of Your Own Bones' is so kewl. I think I might actually like Hexvessel more than <code> though. :000

I like how the 'associated acts' on the Wiki page is a list of really respectable groups like VBE, Arcturus, ulver, DHG, ATG, Borknagar... And then Cradle of Filth. ;p

Original post by Nichrome
I dunno really, was more wondering if anyone else goes through periods like that where they sorta stop listening to what they usually do any go for something a bit different, sometimes drastically so then returning to what they normally do. It wasn't an 'OMG LOOK HOW DIVERSE I AM BY LISTENING TO OTHER GENRES' thing that you often get.

In any case:

will be amazing in a church.

Damn, didn't know it was in a church. Churches should host gigs more often, especially doom and BM (as ironic as that may seem), srsbsns reverberation in that ****.
Reply 5985
I saw The Evens play in a church a few years ago. It was weird and not entirely appropriate but kind of, ergo it was weird
Finally got around to listening to Pantheist. I am liking this so far.
Original post by concubine

Great band. 'In the Privacy of Your Own Bones' is so kewl. I think I might actually like Hexvessel more than <code> though. :000

I like how the 'associated acts' on the Wiki page is a list of really respectable groups like VBE, Arcturus, ulver, DHG, ATG, Borknagar... And then Cradle of Filth. ;p

That's my least favourite song on the album. :tongue: Never heard Hexvessel, although I've been meaning to. Ever heard Decrepit Spectre? It's roughly the same area, but unfortunately seriously underwhelming for people like myself who heard <code> first. Also, Cradle are good up to and including Dusk And Her Embrace.

Listening to Deathspell Omega's 'Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice' for the first time in about a year. What a masterpiece that one is, but is it just me, or is the first lyric 'WUUUUUURGHHH SATAN'? The opening lyric of an album is not the place for a not-so-subtle parody. :tongue:
So the new Mark Lanegan has leaked, I guess I'll wait for it as I have it on pre-order, do tempting to get it early now though >_<
Decrepit Spectre is (was?) okay, but yeah, nowhere near as good as <code> and nothing like Hexvessel really.

I think a large part of the reason Hexvessel's debut wasn't as well received as I think it should have been was that the majority of people hearing it will have been fans of <code> and the like, and that doesn't strike me as the best staring fan base for a psych folk group. I've seen plenty of the stupid 'bawwwwww, it's not blax metal!11' ****.

It's one of my favourite releases from 2011 anyway, and I really do have the greatest taste in music.

I think the lyrics are 'O, Satan', but yeah. It definitely sounds like wurhughuwuhef. ;p They could have the most retarded lyrics ever (people often seem to make a point of how this isn't the case but still) and I wouldn't care. dem riffs.

The only lyrics I've read by DsO were those 'Diabolus Absconditus', and that's cause from what I could make out there seemed to be some srs Camus/Satre **** in there. Which I guess isn't surprising.

Hopefully at the least they'll put out an EP this year.

SOLA FIDE, SOLA DEO INFERNALI GLORIA!123
Just watched an awesome documentary on the roots of stoner, doom and drone, check it out!

Also, received my YOB t-shirt in the mail this morning, looks ****ing amazing.

(edited 12 years ago)
Well, that's my ticket booked for Alcest/Les Discrets :h:
I decided on financial grounds that I couldn't justify seeing Alcest.
However....Alestorm next month is a different matter. Already bought the ticket and have been trying to sort out transport.
Sounds like we'll be getting the train there and a coach back.
Original post by SaySaam
Because you know the really annoying questions you get when you meet someone for the first time like, 'What kind of music do you listen to?' it's so much easier if you have a genre that the majority of the music you listen to is in. When I just say 'everything', nobody believes me, even though it's practically true. When I just say 'rock and metal' they instantly assume I like classic and glam, but I don't most of the time.
If I say nu metal it describes most of the stuff I listen to and it avoids so much confusion...

I usually respond with "Doom/Drone metal", it's a classic, most people just give a blank stare
Just make up a genre if they ask what you're into, deskgaze or wallcore etc
Original post by robo donkey
Sweet, my mates band have been signed, check out Sacrilegious Throne if you fancy, they're his band. I like them a lot

Just checked out some of their music, one of the best new bands i have heard in a while.
Paradise Lost and Insomnium are playing York! Neither are bands who I love, but it's nice to have decent bands playing here (although we do get Napalm Death once every couple of years) rather than ****ty Glamour of the ****ty Kill. Will be nice to get to go to gigs more often (hopefully) at uni, as at the moment the main cost is transport.
Reply 5997
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Paradise Lost and Insomnium are playing York! Neither are bands who I love, but it's nice to have decent bands playing here (although we do get Napalm Death once every couple of years) rather than ****ty Glamour of the ****ty Kill. Will be nice to get to go to gigs more often (hopefully) at uni, as at the moment the main cost is transport.

I love Insomnium, would be great to see them live, never bothered to listen to Paradise Lost.
Reply 5998
N'y'oh my god, this album.

Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron

Black metal from NL, great sound with parts that are reminiscent of Deathspell Omega (quite a fair bit of dissonance), some great little electronic bits in one or two tracks as well.

Definitely recommend this to fans of Deathspell Omega and anyone who really takes an interest in modern BM.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5999
Mortfiera, Ulvers - nattens madrigal, coldworld. oh yeah

Latest