The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Listening through Weather Systems (Anathema). I'm 3 songs in and fairly unimpressed so far. What's with this melodic ****? Give me something heavy!
Reply 7981
Original post by Drunk Punx
Listening through Weather Systems (Anathema). I'm 3 songs in and fairly unimpressed so far. What's with this melodic ****? Give me something heavy!

Never been arsed with this band despite having their discography as of a few years ago.

What would you liken them to?
Original post by Betacra
Never been arsed with this band despite having their discography as of a few years ago.

What would you liken them to?

Their older material had a lot more Doom/Death elements to it, but recently they've become more Atmospheric Rock :sad:
Resonance 1&2 would be a good place to start as it's effectively a best of.
ReVamp's new album (fronted by Floor Jansen) is one of my all time favourites now. \m/

One of the stand-out tracks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxb6z1Pu3c

So glad when I found the album in HMV, really didn't expect their sized down metal section to have it! :tongue:
definitely my fav bands atm have to be all the 80s-90s AOR bands. Asia, Boston, Journey, white sister, night ranger. etc. and I could go on and on. Don't think u'll ever b able 2 beat the metal 4rm the 80s. I was totally born in the wrong generation.:smile:
Original post by Devel
I have listened to it a few times now and my opinion is still that it is bland. It isn't a bad album it is just quite dull.

Completely agree, though I like it a bit more now that I've listened to it more.
Original post by boumavilla
ReVamp's new album (fronted by Floor Jansen) is one of my all time favourites now. \m/

One of the stand-out tracks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxb6z1Pu3c

So glad when I found the album in HMV, really didn't expect their sized down metal section to have it! :tongue:

yeah its pretty good. Still haven't gotten around to playing it through again yet. Really should given I really liked their first one.

Original post by Drunk Punx

Damn, I really liked it. After going through all their albums I think this is pretty much my favourite one, though I do love anything atmospheric. I find its their most consistent album. Their early doom stuff wasn't anywhere near as good as their contemporaries, their middle era period sounded quite weird, as if they didn't really know what direction they wanted to go in, but their newer ones are my favourite, the ones I go back to more often.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
yeah its pretty good. Still haven't gotten around to playing it through again yet. Really should given I really liked their first one.

You liked the first one? You'll LOVE the second one! :yep:

It's more thrashy, mature and there are more moments reminiscent of After Forever (in ReVamp style).
Original post by boumavilla
You liked the first one? You'll LOVE the second one! :yep:

It's more thrashy, mature and there are more moments reminiscent of After Forever (in ReVamp style).

I've heard it, I pre-ordered it with first class postage so got it release day:wink: It just came at the weekend of Candlefest, where I bought a ton of other CDs and vinyl, and because of work I've not had the time to listen to all the stuff I've got recently more than once or twice. Will have to give it a few more spins soon as. I love SOP to bits, so having Marcela and Johann, as well as Devin is great
Reply 7989
Hi!

I am very surprised that no one has posted yet about the metal comeback of the year..

... or the decade (sorry, Black Sabath, I think so)

the new Carcass, Surgical Steel...

[video="youtube;d3fRKGD2GW0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fRKGD2GW0&feature=shar e&list=UUoxg3Kml41wE3IPq-PC-LQw[/video]

Awesome Bill Steer...

by the way, The Ocean - Pelagial is growing on me more and more...

...I can't wait to see them with Shining....:u:
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I've heard it, I pre-ordered it with first class postage so got it release day:wink: It just came at the weekend of Candlefest, where I bought a ton of other CDs and vinyl, and because of work I've not had the time to listen to all the stuff I've got recently more than once or twice. Will have to give it a few more spins soon as. I love SOP to bits, so having Marcela and Johann, as well as Devin is great

Nice! :biggrin:
Some nice touches in the album aswell, the CD itself was a shock! :lol:
Haha! I can understand that, hopefully SOP take some influence from helping out on the ReVamp album, because I'd like to hear them become a little heavier ahead of their new album, which I'm led to believe will be out around January or February. :smile:
Within Temptation's next album has had me excited for months and months now! :mmm: 20 days until the single is out. :woo:
Original post by chordi
Hi!

I am very surprised that no one has posted yet about the metal comeback of the year..

[video="youtube;d3fRKGD2GW0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fRKGD2GW0&feature=shar e&list=UUoxg3Kml41wE3IPq-PC-LQw[/video]

Awesome Bill Steer...

They're touring with Amon Amarth this autumn, so I'll probably see them then. I can't say I really know much about them, aside from one of my friends knowing one of the band members.

This same friend also knows most of Mayhem, which is pretty cool.
Reply 7992
Original post by Manitude
They're touring with Amon Amarth this autumn, so I'll probably see them then. I can't say I really know much about them, aside from one of my friends knowing one of the band members.

This same friend also knows most of Mayhem, which is pretty cool.

yes, pretty cool, these are probably two of the more influential bands in extreme metal...

... although I'm not sure if I would want to know some people of the early norwegian black metal scene...:zomg:

That can be a amazing gig...:headbang: If you like Amon Amarth I think that you like the last Carcass albums... (try heartwork may be)
Original post by chordi
yes, pretty cool, these are probably two of the more influential bands in extreme metal...

... although I'm not sure if I would want to know some people of the early norwegian black metal scene...:zomg:

That can be a amazing gig...:headbang: If you like Amon Amarth I think that you like the last Carcass albums... (try heartwork may be)

Apparently when the cameras are off they're totally normal people - it's all just a show. I mean Dead and Varg are probably exceptions to that. I know someone who met Gaahl, apparently he's really nice and friendly until the cameras go on and then he's back to
"... ... ... ... *sips wine* ... Satan" mode.
I've seen a picture of my friend with Attila while he's wearing a police outfit and a fake moustache, I think in the dressing room for a Sunn O))) show:

Spoiler

I'll give that album a listen at some point - I find a gig is far more enjoyable if I know what's being played.
(edited 10 years ago)
So the Finntroll/Tyr gig in Manchester happens to fall on the one night I definitely have to be somewhere else D:
Also Ex Deo are playing in a couple of days with Nile, but it's a bit expensive to get train tickets now.
Seeing Nile tomorrow. Haven't listened to them in years I realised yesterday, just bought the tickets as I used to like them. Hopefully it will be decent
Ladies and gentlemen, I think I've found the album of the year. Possibly decade:

It's staggering that this was just done by one person. Don't know if it was a home recording or what, but it sounds very professional.
I realise that (probably) none of you will listen to it in its entirety, but I really urge people to at least give it a chance for half an hour or so.
Reply 7997
Original post by Manitude
Ladies and gentlemen, I think I've found the album of the year. Possibly decade:
It's staggering that this was just done by one person. Don't know if it was a home recording or what, but it sounds very professional.
I realise that (probably) none of you will listen to it in its entirety, but I really urge people to at least give it a chance for half an hour or so.

I'll check that out.
Been listening to DTP/SYL for the last couple of hours, whoa man.
Original post by chordi
Hi!

Awesome Bill Steer...

I've actually never heard of that band, so I gave that song a listen...

The actual music - I loved it! But the vocals... I really couldn't get into them :frown:

Why must these people growl over good music all the time?

Latest