The Student Room Group

Where does the hatred of Eastern Europeans come from?

I've heard there's been some hostility towards Eastern Europeans recently, especially after Brexit. Just seems odd as the Eastern Europeans I've met have been decent people, and their values are not entirely unlike our own. I've worked with Romanians, travelled to various Eastern European countries, and I live in an area where lots of Romainians and Poles live and I honestly cannot understand the hostility towards them other than the fact they take jobs. I can see why people would be frustrated about that but the Eastern Europeans themselves don't deserve it, they completely understandably are just taking an opportunity to make a better life for themselves. Just seems pretty uncalled for to bully them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Believe it or not but a large portion of racism in this country is caused by Migrants targeting other Migrants, hardline Muslims and catholic Eastern Europeans do not mix

Kurds and Turks, Jews and Pakistanis, Russians and Poles etc etc hell there's even video that went viral of a Jamaican British lady racially abusing a Muslim women in London. It sounds ridiculous but it is reality, Multiculturalism sparks tension between ethnic minorities.

The higher levels of immigration you have the more racism is produced, the EU will have to cope with this as they try and turn their continent into a US style melting pot.
Reply 2
Original post by KingBradly
I've heard there's been some hostility towards Eastern Europeans recently, especially after Brexit. Just seems odd as the Eastern Europeans I've met have been decent people, and their values are not entirely unlike our own. I've worked with Romanians, travelled to various Eastern European countries, and I live in an area where lots of Romainians and Poles live and I honestly cannot understand the hostility towards them other than the fact they take jobs. I can see why people would be frustrated about that but the Eastern Europeans themselves don't deserve it, they completely understandably are just taking an opportunity to make a better life for themselves. Just seems pretty uncalled for to bully them.

It's the sheer number. I was shocked to hear 1 million Polish people in the UK in a small amount if time. BUT that does not mean we should be hateful to any non British white. (even though all EU citizens are white) :hmmm:

There should have been a cap, not the free movement nonsense. That's what I object to.
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's because this country is full of self loathing anti white political correctness and they're white, bottom line.

There are no Polish grooming gangs, Slovakians are not chopping our soldiers heads off in the streets, Hungarians aren't demanding that we subvert our own culture to accommodate theirs, they have lower crime rates & lower unemployment than their non EU counter parts. There are legitimate concerns about EU migration, there's no doubt that it does undercut & depress wages of the lower skilled workers, however, I don't think EU migration would be the issue it is if it weren't for the mass of non EU migration that preceded it & continues to accompany it to this day.

Well aggression against Eastern Europeans has been around since Poland's entry into the EU in 2004, along with Romania's entry in 2007. There was a massive amount of Poles and Romanians that moved to the UK around these times for better job opportunities than the ones they'd receive back home, mostly taking up occupations that we didn't want to do. But as time went by, the general argument against them became that they were 'stealing' all the jobs, not to mention news that some Eastern Europeans had been attacking local populations run by born and bred Brits. Now that we're leaving the EU, some bigots have been demanding that Eastern Europeans 'go home' but this unneeded hate isn't directed just towards them. Some Muslim communities from countries like Pakistan and the Middle East have also been attacked, with mosques vandalized and shops run by Muslim people trashed. Also, I share your view that it seems odd. I know many Polish and Pakistani people, and many are nice, but some can be off with me sometimes, but that doesn't mean I apply their rudeness to being the general attitude of all foreigners. Hope this answers your question.

They are not taking jobs. There isn't a fixed number of jobs and then that's it. They are working here and supporting our ageing population. Without them we would be in deep trouble. They are part of the solution not part of the problem.

People who say they are a problem are blaming the wrong people. The shortage of housing, schools, hospitals is a planning problem. Successive Governments have failed to plan and have cut provision. Mainly because the very rich don't want to pay their taxes, don't think they should have any responsibility towards the bulk of the people in our country. Everyone should make their own provision, so private schools, private health care, private pensions etc. The problems of most people who can't possibly afford this, is of no concern to them.
The "takin muh jobs" meme.
Basically because they were seen to be more valued by employers then native brits, there was quite a bit of butthurt
Reply 7
Original post by remiremi
Believe it or not but a large portion of racism in this country is caused by Migrants targeting other Migrants, hardline Muslims and catholic Eastern Europeans do not mix

Kurds and Turks, Jews and Pakistanis, Russians and Poles etc etc hell there's even video that went viral of a Jamaican British lady racially abusing a Muslim women in London. It sounds ridiculous but it is reality, Multiculturalism sparks tension between ethnic minorities.

The higher levels of immigration you have the more racism is produced, the EU will have to cope with this as they try and turn their continent into a US style melting pot.

Yeh I'm completely aware of this. I know that many ethnic minorities in this country don't mix well with Muslim ethnic grups. Certainly most Romanians I've met don't like them (there's a book called This Is London where Romanians complain about Pakistanis working them to the bone and treating them like crap) and of course the 1985 Handsworth and 2005 Birmingham riots were caused by anger from the Caribbean community towards the Muslim community. Not to mention the Hindu and Jewish communities which have had a problem with Islam for about as long as they've had contact with Muslims. However certain aspects of Islam and some of the cultures that live by it are viewed as unpleasant by almost any cultures which aren't Islamic and have had contact with the religion.

But supposedly some of the bullying directed at Eastern Europeans has been from white British folks, and I really fail to see why any British person would have an kind of cultural problems with them. In fact, except for a demographic of kind so xenophobic that it would do something like invent a pejorative to describe all other cultures but its own, I really fail to see why anyone would have a problem with Eastern Europeans.
Original post by remiremi

Racism is caused by people not understanding that people who are different from them are, nevertheless, human beings with the same concerns for their families , jobs, etc as everyone.

Britain, in the main, is a very intelligent, tolerant country . Unlike what you say , we all mix very well on the whole because we understand that we learn from each other. What a poor place we would be, without fish and chips, curries, pizzas etc.

Britain has the highest rate of mixed marriages in Europe - proof that we not only tolerate each other, we actually love each other too.
Reply 9
Original post by Zargabaath
The "takin muh jobs" meme.
Basically because they were seen to be more valued by employers then native brits, there was quite a bit of butthurt

I mean, tbh the one's I've known did work extremely hard, had a good work ethic, and were very trustworthy so I can understand why people would rather employ them.
I mean, tbh the one's I've known did work extremely hard, had a good work ethic, and were very trustworthy so I can understand why people would rather employ them.

I know, I see that too. I don't blame employers in the slightest.
There is no hate toward eastern Europeans. However, there is anger toward a system that allows and encourages unfettered immigration. With our exit from the EU such unrestricted levels of immigration will fall. All countries need immigration, but that has to be controlled immigration.

You miss out the real reason; they're prepared to work for much less money giving employers greater profits.
Reply 13
Hitler didn't like Slavs and it seems neither do Brits.
Reply 14
Original post by Brexiteer
There is no hate toward eastern Europeans. However, there is anger toward a system that allows and encourages unfettered immigration. With our exit from the EU such unrestricted levels of immigration will fall. All countries need immigration, but that has to be controlled immigration.

I completely understand the anger towards the system, and I agree that our country could do with much more heavil controlled immigration. But certain people are undoubtably being prejudist against Eastern Europeans.
Reply 15
Original post by ohgeez
Hitler didn't like Slavs and it seems neither do Brits.

Wow so does that means Brits = Hitler? /s
Original post by Zargabaath
I know, I see that too. I don't blame employers in the slightest.

I blame the ones who don't want to pay the proper rate for the job. This is why we need trade unions.
Reply 17
Wow so does that means Brits = Hitler? /s

Little Britlers.
Original post by Brexiteer

We haven't left yet and even if we do, immigration might not even fall. It will be a choice between immigration control or single market and I won't be surprised if the decision ends up being single market.
Original post by pickup
I blame the ones who don't want to pay the proper rate for the job. This is why we need trade unions.

Yes actually, that is a good point. Of course dodgy, cash in hand, sub minimum rate employers should be punished.I was speaking about those who are legitimate workers, at legitimate businesses though.

Latest

Trending

Trending