The Student Room Group

How competitive is the Korean Studies course at Sheffield?

Volunteer Note: Hi there, welcome to :tsr: This thread is quite old now, so you're best off starting a new conversation to get your questions answered. :smile: Do also check out the foreign languages, literature and culture forum to find out more about university courses in this area. :yy:

I've been to the Shefield open day and I get the impression that with more people jumping on the Hallyu wave Korean courses are becoming more popular. At the moment I am already very conscious because I'm applying with no prior language qualifications or Korean language ability which although it's not needed I still feel I am at a huge disadvantage to other applicants. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is or how many applicants recieve offers type of thing, even if anyone else is planning on applying! Thankssss ^^
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I would expect that all applicants who are predicted the entry requirements would receive an offer.
3rd year Korean studies student here ^_^
I was one of the helpers so I might have talked to you on the open day haha :smile: but I just wanted to answer this honestly on here as I was asked about this topic a lot but couldn't really answer 110% truthfully as I was strongly told to 'get as many people interested as possible', yet there's some vital things that need to be addressed.

Korean is getting more and more applicants each year at Sheffield, now actually making it more popular than Chinese studies, so if you're at a disadvantage in any of the required conditions then I'd say that it's unlikely.

Though to answer your question about no prior language qualifications, quite a few people in my class didn't have a language a-level, even though Sheffield said they preferred it, HOWEVER, definitely everyone had at least a GCSE in it, (whether failed or passed) so if you don't have at least that, then not only will admissions be questionable but most of all this course will be tough. The department want to know that you've gone through language lessons in education before so that your 9 hour a week Korean Language lessons aren't going to give you the biggest shock of your life. Korean studies is great, though very very challenging and requires your full commitment to the language.

The fact that you say you don't have any Korean language ability makes me wonder why you're interested in this course, as even though you start it from scratch, pretty much everyone in this course had already self-studied it beforehand, whether it's just Hangul or conversational skills.

We get quite a few students each year who've joined the course simply because they love K-Pop/KDramas and not actually realising that studying an East-Asian language is hard work. Last year three dropped out early and two simply didn't get the results to consider carrying it on - a real waste when there are other people out there who would dedicate their life to Korean culture yet didn't get on the course because the 'K-Pop Koreaboos' who had better grades got in instead.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but me, my contemporaries and teachers are just a bit tired of people applying to Korean Studies with no language experience whatsoever. It will be very hard for you. Apply for a course that you tick the boxes for instead of wasting a precious place on a course as limited and competitive as Korean Studies.
Thanks for the truthful answer it's what i wanted to hear, i wouldn't say i have no Korean language ability as i know hangul and I am trying to increase my vocabulary and am self studying at home. I'm really worried now about what you said about GCSEs now, i do get pretty good grades but if they're looking for a language this is difficult. I don't know what other course i'm going to do and if it's worth putting everything on the line if theres no way i'm going to get in 😢 so much stress
What you said about admissions tutors being tired of people with no language qualifications applying, has really confused me because every time i have enquired about it i have been reassured that no language level is needed as after the first year you have pretty much caught up. I just can't imagine promoting that no language is needed when they only focus on people with a language ability or whether it's all just to get more applicants.
I'm attending SEAS this coming September for BA Korean studies too! What would you recommend to prepare in advance (in terms of knowledge of the language/Hangul/culture/history).
Original post by Ki Massingham
I'm attending SEAS this coming September for BA Korean studies too! What would you recommend to prepare in advance (in terms of knowledge of the language/Hangul/culture/history).

Do you mind me asking if you have done a language?
Soooo you're applying for a 4 year foreign language degree at a Russell Group university but have no prior language experience?! 0_0

...just forget about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheHungryStudent
Do you mind me asking if you have done a language?

I studied French and Spanish for 4 years in secondary school but only did Spanish for an extra 2 at GCSE, however, I come from a household with 2 languages in it so I tend to pick up languages quite quickly.
That's odd, I have personally received a very positive response from vowing the university on open days regarding having no language experience, in fact when I rang the admissions tutor regarding such beliefs of disadvantage due to not having a level or gcse language despite them not requiring it she reassured me also that it will make no difference to my application chances and sure enough I received my offers through for both courses I applied for this morning 🙂Don't be diaheartened everyone has a chance

Latest

Trending

Trending