The Student Room Group

Ask an interviewer - Mathematics

Hello!The Peterhouse Admissions Team (including Dr Andás Zsák, Admissions Tutor for Mathematics), are back for another thread. We'll be here until 2nd August answering any questions about admissions in Mathematics or Maths with Physics.Please note this thread is for prospective applicants in these subjects. We're always happy to answer other questions, but these should be PMd/posted on our profile or sent to [email protected] rather than posted here.Offer holders, our Admissions Coordinators will be back for a thread in August to answer questions about results day, confirmation and starting at Cambridge.

Scroll to see replies

Dr Zsak. Why do you write on the blackboard when there are OTPs.

Also are you teaching Functional Analysis this year
Reply 2
What would you say are the most common mistakes many applicants make in their personal statement, and during the interviews?
Reply 3
Is it easy to tell when an applicant is lying e.g. they say they've read a book in their personal statement but they haven't
Original post by FanaticEV
Dr Zsak. Why do you write on the blackboard when there are OTPs.

Also are you teaching Functional Analysis this year

It's better! Yes I will be teaching this again this year.
Original post by kkboyk
What would you say are the most common mistakes many applicants make in their personal statement, and during the interviews?

Original post by fefssdf
Is it easy to tell when an applicant is lying e.g. they say they've read a book in their personal statement but they haven't

The personal statement does not play such a big role in mathematics, the interviews are entirely about solving problems. However if you have done something maths-related (e.g. maths competitions, attending lectures/talks, reading books etc.) then we would like to hear about that.

In other subjects, the personal statement may come up at interview, but it equally may not. In some cases it may guide the questions asked, for example if you say you've read a certain book or have a certain interest then be ready to answer questions about it and related material. You certainly would be found out if you overstate the things you've done and this doesn't create a very favourable impression.
I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September) and I want to apply to study Mathematics. I'm thinking of doing all my AS and A2 exams next year (Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and French.) Either I would apply to university in Year 12, before taking my exams, or instead apply at the normal time in Year 13.

I have two questions:

To what extent will it benefit my application for Mathematics if I succeed in obtaining good results a year early? I've heard some universities want a certain number of A-levels to be done in the normal time period of 2 years. I have also heard that gap years are sometimes discouraged. If I were to finish my exams in Year 12 and apply in Year 13, I would want to use the time in Year 13 to gain further knowledge and experience about Mathematics - for example, I could complete Open University modules.

Also, will my application be treated less favourably if I apply before having sat my AS exams? My predicted grades at GCSEs are almost all A* - these would be the only school examination grades that I have, along with predicted AS and A2 grades (though there is also STEP, of course).
Hi, I was just wondering:

If I do 3 AS subjects and carry all 3 of them to A2 - would I be disadvantaged to someone who done 4 AS and dropped 1 and done 3 A-levels?

Also, if those 3 A-levels are: Maths, Further Maths and Economics and at the end of AS - Year 12 I achieve, A A B respectively, and 90+ UMS average over all Maths modules - would I get a good chance for an interview?
I have a question regarding how many A levels I need to apply for Maths @ Cambridge, I mean to have a good chance to be considered.
Currently I am studying 5 AS subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I am doing very well in all subjects but I am wondering whether I can drop Biology for A level and curry on with 4 only. Will it hinder my application?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by archipelaglobule
I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September) and I want to apply to study Mathematics. I'm thinking of doing all my AS and A2 exams next year (Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and French.) Either I would apply to university in Year 12, before taking my exams, or instead apply at the normal time in Year 13.

I have two questions:

To what extent will it benefit my application for Mathematics if I succeed in obtaining good results a year early? I've heard some universities want a certain number of A-levels to be done in the normal time period of 2 years. I have also heard that gap years are sometimes discouraged. If I were to finish my exams in Year 12 and apply in Year 13, I would want to use the time in Year 13 to gain further knowledge and experience about Mathematics - for example, I could complete Open University modules.

Also, will my application be treated less favourably if I apply before having sat my AS exams? My predicted grades at GCSEs are almost all A* - these would be the only school examination grades that I have, along with predicted AS and A2 grades (though there is also STEP, of course).

Hi,

We like to see students taking a full workload in year 13. This is most typically A levels and STEP preparation but other courses can fulfil this requirement. Taking exams early won't necessarily benefit you - if you achieve the typical offer than that's great but if you overburden yourself trying to do two years worth of work in just one and don't perform as well then this would certainly count against you. We won't expect less than A*A*A (A*s in Maths and FM in your case) and 1,1 in STEP II and III just because you're taking them earlier. Whilst some amount of resitting is fine, if you have to resit lots of modules in several subjects then this will cause concern and go against you.

To answer your second question, it would not disadvantage you if you don't have AS results - something like 50% of applicats don't take A levels so we're experienced in assessing candidates in other ways. However other universities, particularly ones which don't interview, might view things differently so be sure to check with them.

Another thought - are you 100% set on those A levels? I've looked at some of the other posts you've made and you mentioned that you considered taking Physics but decided not to so you could complete A levels in one year. A level Physics, whilst not essential for a Mathematics application, is certainly advantageous and candidates without Physics would have to be very impressive with their maths skills. You might also find that having A level Physics makes the learning curve in our first year a little less steep.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
Hi, I was just wondering:

If I do 3 AS subjects and carry all 3 of them to A2 - would I be disadvantaged to someone who done 4 AS and dropped 1 and done 3 A-levels?

Nope. 3 A levels at the end of year 13 is what's expected. Different schools treat things differently now we have the new A levels so we'd just advise you to follow your school's policy.

Original post by Chittesh14

Also, if those 3 A-levels are: Maths, Further Maths and Economics and at the end of AS - Year 12 I achieve, A A B respectively, and 90+ UMS average over all Maths modules - would I get a good chance for an interview?

We'd aim to interview all those on track for the typical offer of A*A*A. A B in Economics might cause some concern, as may a lack of Physics, but these decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis and we'd need to see the entirety of your application and how it compares to all the others across the University. I'm afraid I can't really comment on hypothetical cases such as this.
Original post by Melanie Leconte
I have a question regarding how many A levels I need to apply for Maths @ Cambridge, I mean to have a good chance to be considered.
Currently I am studying 5 AS subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I am doing very well in all subjects but I am wondering whether I can drop Biology for A level and curry on with 4 only. Will it hinder my application?

Hi,

We only expect 3 A levels at the end of year 13. With STEP preparation to do as well you don't want to spread yourself too thinly - it is better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4. If you were to take 4, we would mostly be interested in Maths, FM and Physics.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi,

We only expect 3 A levels at the end of year 13. With STEP preparation to do as well you don't want to spread yourself too thinly - it is better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4. If you were to take 4, we would mostly be interested in Maths, FM and Physics.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me and thank you for your reassurance.
We'd aim to interview all those on track for the typical offer of A*A*A. A B in Economics might cause some concern, as may a lack of Physics, but these decisions are taken on a case-by-case basis and we'd need to see the entirety of your application and how it compares to all the others across the University. I'm afraid I can't really comment on hypothetical cases such as this.

Thanks, that would be my only concern. Let's forget about Economics, but the 'lack of Physics'. I don't know if my school will allow me to take Physics AS because I didn't work hard in my GCSEs and didn't perform well.
We like to see students taking a full workload in year 13. This is most typically A levels and STEP preparation but other courses can fulfil this requirement. Taking exams early won't necessarily benefit you - if you achieve the typical offer than that's great but if you overburden yourself trying to do two years worth of work in just one and don't perform as well then this would certainly count against you.... You might also find that having A level Physics makes the learning curve in our first year a little less steep.
Thank you very much for your reply. I previously thought that taking Physics at A-level was not a cause for concern as I would be applying for Mathematics and not Mathematics with Physics. I will certainly reconsider my options.I have another question - to what extent will my second application be at a disadvantage if I do not receive an offer in Year 12 and have to apply a second time in Year 13?Thanks again for your help.
Original post by archipelaglobule
Thank you very much for your reply. I previously thought that taking Physics at A-level was not a cause for concern as I would be applying for Mathematics and not Mathematics with Physics. I will certainly reconsider my options.I have another question - to what extent will my second application be at a disadvantage if I do not receive an offer in Year 12 and have to apply a second time in Year 13?Thanks again for your help.

Physics isn't essential for Maths by any means, and candidates without Physics should not be deterred from applying. However, if you haven't chosen your A levels yet, I'd advise you to reflect on whether you might take Physics alongside Maths+FM.

Applicants who are unsuccessful are welcome to reapply and all files for unsuccessful candidates are destroyed at the end of the round. If you were to apply to a different college you would have a blank slate as your interviewers would be different and wouldn't have any chance of remembering you. Many people do reapply successfully and there is no disadvantage to reapplying per se. However if you were to perform poorly in your A levels and were to reapply, bear in mind that you would be assessed on the grades you hold at the time of reapplication and you may not be invited for interview if you achieve much below the typical offer level in your A levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, what would you say is the best preparation for a Cambridge Maths interview?
Hi, is it likely I would be asked about any books I've read that were mentioned in my teacher's reference for maths? Thanks
Just a question about general admissions, do you feel that students who achieve the bare minimum grades are at a disadvantage to others? Is this obvious?
Hello!The Peterhouse Admissions Team (including Dr Andás Zsák, Admissions Tutor for Mathematics), are back for another thread. We'll be here until 2nd August answering any questions about admissions in Mathematics or Maths with Physics.Please note this thread is for prospective applicants in these subjects. We're always happy to answer other questions, but these should be PMd/posted on our profile or sent to [email protected] rather than posted here.Offer holders, our Admissions Coordinators will be back for a thread in August to answer questions about results day, confirmation and starting at Cambridge.

Quick Question.
Is there a minimum Formal requirement to guarantee a summer pooling of a maths candidate taking A levels and STEP. Or is this completely case by case depending on how the college feel about you?
Also is there a minimum threshold required to be summerpooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending