The Student Room Group

Backing out of your firm choice

I'm an EU student, I've already got my results, my insurance accepted me within two days of sending them the results, everything is great.

But my firm choice is being an absolute pain. From the very beginning the communication with them has been terrible, but I dealt with it cause I really wanted to go there. I've got qualifications from two countries. In one of them I've done much, much better than was required, but in the other one I've missed the offer narrowly (less than half a grade). I thought that it would somehow even out but no, the firm choice has put me on hold and they're making me wait until A Level results.

Thing is, that would leave me with just a month to prepare to move abroad, and that's really not enough time to get everything ready. And I'm genuinely exhausted with the university's approach and don't really want to go there anymore. Is there a way for me to back out of my firm choice and just go to my insurance? Can I email the firm choice asking to reject me? Or is there nothing I can do and I just have to wait for their decision?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paiges
I'm an EU student, I've already got my results, my insurance accepted me within two days of sending them the results, everything is great.

But my firm choice is being an absolute pain. From the very beginning the communication with them has been terrible, but I dealt with it cause I really wanted to go there. I've got qualifications from two countries. In one of them I've done much, much better than was required, but in the other one I've missed the offer narrowly (less than half a grade). I thought that it would somehow even out but no, the firm choice has put me on hold and they're making me wait until A Level results.

Thing is, that would leave me with just a month to prepare to move abroad, and that's really not enough time to get everything ready. And I'm genuinely exhausted with the university's approach and don't really want to go there anymore. Is there a way for me to back out of my firm choice and just go to my insurance? Can I email the firm choice asking to reject me? Or is there nothing I can do and I just have to wait for their decision?

You can absolutely ask them to make a decision now without delay (and make it clear you'd prefer a rejection now than an acceptance in a month's time).

Explain that your insurance has confirmed your place and that if they're not willing to accept you without delaying until the A level results you would prefer a rejection.

There's a reasonable chance that this will convince them to accept you (they should have a reasonable idea now whether they'll take you or not - all you're doing is forcing them to make that sooner not later). If they reject you then the chances are they believe they're likely to reject you in August anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You can absolutely ask them to make a decision now without delay (and make it clear you'd prefer a rejection now than an acceptance in a month's time).

Explain that your insurance has confirmed your place and that if they're not willing to accept you without delaying until the A level results you would prefer a rejection.

There's a reasonable chance that this will convince them to accept you (they should have a reasonable idea now whether they'll take you or not - all you're doing is forcing them to make that sooner not later). If they reject you then the chances are they believe they're likely to reject you in August anyway.

Thank you, will do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending