The Student Room Group

What happens to student accommodation if I don't get into my firm choice?

This may be a stupid question but I've gotta get it out there because I've been fretting about it (not in a serious way).

Back when we was doing applications for student accommodation, I asked a teacher if I should apply for accommodation at my insurance choice as well. She said I shouldn't and that no one does that.

This gives me the thought: If I don't get into my firm choice, what happens to my accommodation? At first I thought that I would need to apply at my insurance, but I feel that I would have no chance of getting in as I would be applying late. I simply don't know.

If anyone knows please let me know. Cheers.
I don't think she should've been so strong as to say "no-one does that", I did that and needed it in the end, and I think given the option you should do it. (though if I didn't it would've still worked out, they had enough rooms for all starting 1st years even people through clearing)

It really depends on your insurance and how many rooms they have. It might be that if they run out of on-campus accommodation (if on a campus uni) then they'd have some off-campus accommodation they can offer you. It might even be that rooms aren't allocated until places are confirmed and having the uni as your firm gives no advantage at all. But it may also be the case that their accommodation is fully booked and you'd end up in private halls.

This is all something I'd recommend you research, would ask current students what the situation is either on here, Reddit, or any "chat with a current student" options on the uni website. If you think there is a reasonable chance you'll end up at your insurance, I would definitely have an action plan ready.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
1) if you get rejected by your Firm choice on Results Day, your accommodation application is cancelled. This is why most Unis dont actually allocate specific rooms until August.
2) most Unis wont let you apply for accommodation as an Insurance offer holder and if you end up with that Uni on Results Day, then you get to apply for accommodation.
Original post by henryrollings
This may be a stupid question but I've gotta get it out there because I've been fretting about it (not in a serious way).

Back when we was doing applications for student accommodation, I asked a teacher if I should apply for accommodation at my insurance choice as well. She said I shouldn't and that no one does that.

This gives me the thought: If I don't get into my firm choice, what happens to my accommodation? At first I thought that I would need to apply at my insurance, but I feel that I would have no chance of getting in as I would be applying late. I simply don't know.

If anyone knows please let me know. Cheers.

Hey there @henryrollings !
She is correct that not many people will apply to their insurance accommodation and in fact universities recommend you not to do it. I had a different firm choice to my current university and eventually decided my insurance choice was better for me before results day even happened (I just liked the city and campus better). I'd applied for accommodation at my old firm and once I decided to change, I got in contact with the university and asked them to withdraw my accommodation application. Only when I got a reply did I apply for accommodation at my insurance. That's pretty much the standard procedure that you focus on your firm choice initially and make changes after results day. During the time of results day, universities will increase the people answering their emails and people on the phone line to ensure wait times are shorter as they know most people will be trying to contact them around that time.

If you don't get into your first choice you can either contact them to withdraw your application or once UCAS has updated then I assume the university will get a notification to say you won't be attending and then withdraw your application. The one thing I cannot stress enough is DO NOT apply privately for accommodation at your insurance. If you really want to apply for it through the university then I suppose you could if it lets you. Then when they realise you're not attending, they'll probably withdraw your application or you can contact them to do so. If you apply privately , you have to sign the contract and provide guarantor information in order to secure your room which might prove more tricky to get out of once you've signed that. Some private landlord contracts do have a clause that says you can cancel the tenancy should you not get into your choice university, however that should be taken on a case by case basis and not all contracts will say that. You'll have to read through it and see.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending