The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Excalibur
If in doubt, you could always ask her which one she'd prerfer! :wink:

:biggrin: Might do that in the next letter. ...If, that is, I can figure out a good way of asking it in Japanese.

I really need to get my act together. :rolleyes:
spencer smith
Rubbish.

漢字万歳!

Personally I think it's painful to read Japanese written out in only kana. Especially without spaces.
Zhen Lin
漢字万歳!

Personally I think it's painful to read Japanese written out in only kana. Especially without spaces.

True. Just hiragana is painful - and if something written only in katakana it's even worse! I can't read it without really, really concentrating. Kanji makes Japanese so easy to read quickly, because the characters have a meaning on their own rather than just as letters. I love kanji :wink:
Back duing the meiji era, with Japan's rush to modernise and westernise, alongside proposals to make Christianity Japan's national religion, there was serious debate about elminating Japanese writing and replacing it with roman characters. Interesting fact of the day~
But of course we know what happens if we let the Japanese design their own rōmaji...

tatoeba, ano yûmei no yama no na wa "huzisan" ni nari, mata, totyô (tôkyô-to tyôsya) ni aru sono tokubetuku no na wa "sinzyuku" ni naru n desu. yahari kono kunreisiki rômazi ga watasitati gaikokuzin ni wa tukaemasen yo ne. gengogakuteki ni yûri to wa ieru no ni ne.

But for some reason rōmaji isn't as bad as all-kana. Except when written with, say, spacing like this:

tatoeba, ano yûmeino yamano nawa "huzisan"ni nari, mata, totyô (tôkyôtotyôsya)ni aru sono tokubetukuno nawa "sinzyuku"ni narundesu. yahari kono kunreisiki rômaziga watasitati gaikokuzinniwa tukaemasen'yone. gengogakutekini yûritowa ierunonine.
Zhen Lin
But of course we know what happens if we let the Japanese design their own rōmaji...

tatoeba, ano yûmei no yama no na wa "huzisan" ni nari, mata, totyô (tôkyô-to tyôsya) ni aru sono tokubetuku no na wa "sinzyuku" ni naru n desu. yahari kono kunreisiki rômazi ga watasitati gaikokuzin ni wa tukaemasen yo ne. gengogakuteki ni yûri to wa ieru no ni ne.

But for some reason rōmaji isn't as bad as all-kana. Except when written with, say, spacing like this:

tatoeba, ano yûmeino yamano nawa "huzisan"ni nari, mata, totyô (tôkyôtotyôsya)ni aru sono tokubetukuno nawa "sinzyuku"ni narundesu. yahari kono kunreisiki rômaziga watasitati gaikokuzinniwa tukaemasen'yone. gengogakutekini yûritowa ierunonine.

God that's difficult to read! That's how I send text messages to my Japanese friends though... takes even longer to type it. :p:
まあ、ここは何だか不活発ですね……

Is it my imagination, or do I see a few Cantabrigians/Cantabrigians-to-be here in this thread, who are not doing MML or Japanese?
Zhen Lin are you applying for Japanese? If so your offer from Emma may be why I was pooled out >_>
dominiclmorris
Zhen Lin are you applying for Japanese? If so your offer from Emma may be why I was pooled out >_>

G100 is for Maths, I think. (madness! :wink:)
Reply 189
漢字Rocks again!!!!haha
Reply 190
Excalibur

Excaliburさんは日本人ですか。 私は中国人です。鍾(しょ&#12358:wink:晨(し&#12435:wink:です。
はじめまして、皆さんがんばてください!:smile:

Sorry i have a qusetion: 今日は = こんにちは ???

Thank you:smile:
dominiclmorris

そんな事ありません!

Excalibur

正解!

SinoSamurai
Excaliburさん日本人ですか。 私は中国人です。鍾(しょ&#12358:wink:晨(し&#12435:wink:です。

はじめまして!私は振霖(しんりん)です。中国人ではなく、華人です。よろしくお願いします!

こんにちは is very rarely with kanji, but 今日は is technically correct. 今日は is more likely to be read as きょうは.
Reply 192
はい、ありがとうございます!
SinoSamurai
Excaliburさん日本人ですか。 私は中国人です。鍾(しょ&#12358:wink:晨(し&#12435:wink:です。

Thank you:smile:

はい、私は日本人です。母国語は日本語ですが、イギリスにもう十年住んでいるので、英語もできます。よろしく!
よろしくお願いいたします!

で、ExcaliburさんはDowningから自然科学のオファーを持っていらっしゃいますよね。AAオファーなんて、羨ましいわ。とにかくおめでとうございます!

SinoSamurai
吾人之魂,古今神勇志士。
中華之魂,乃中華武士道也。

I have no clue whether this is classical Japanese or classical Chinese. It seems like it can be read as either? But I'm not sure what the 乃 means.
Zhen Lin
よろしくお願いいたします!

で、ExcaliburさんはDowningから自然科学のオファーを持っていらっしゃいますよね。AAオファーなんて、羨ましいわ。とにかくおめでとうございます!

Just a few things - the suffix (I think is the grammatical term? Sorry, my japanese grammar is awful :p: ) 「わ」is for women; if you're a guy you'd say something like うらやましいです(&#12397:wink:, which would fit in best with the formalness of your other sentences. If you're being more informal うらやましい or うらやましいな would do :smile:

ありがとう :biggrin: あなたも、数学のオファーおめでとう。ケンブリッジの数学は世界一だから本当にすごい!STEP、 頑張ってね!

I have no clue whether this is classical Japanese or classical Chinese. It seems like it can be read as either? But I'm not sure what the 乃 means.

Well there's no hiragana in it so it's definitely not Japanese :p: 乃 is probably just read as の.
Excalibur
Just a few things - the suffix (I think is the grammatical term? Sorry, my japanese grammar is awful :p: ) 「わ」is for women;

I know that. :-) I don't speak like that in real life... often.

ありがとう :biggrin: あなたも、数学のオファーおめでとう。ケンブリッジの数学は世界一だから本当にすごい!STEP、 頑張ってね!

頑張ります!

Well there's no hiragana in it so it's definitely not Japanese :p: 乃 is probably just read as の.

Ah, but you can get away with writing almost no kana in classical Japanese. For example, 「僕本月本日を以て目出度死去致候間此段広告仕候也」, which is read 「ぼく ほんげつほんじつをもって めでたくしきょいたしそうろうあいだ このだん こうこくつかまつりそうろうなり」. And of course, we all know that the Nihonshoki and the Manyōshū was written entirely in kanji.
Reply 197
Another interesting fact - two old hiragana which are no longer used include "wi" (&#12432:wink: and "we" (&#12433:wink:. Also, men can occasionally use "wa" as a termination to the sentence as a remark - I've heard Japanese old men use it a couple of times, but I don't think it's that often - it's probably similar to how women sometimes use "僕" for "I" sometimes (normally singers) when it is normally reserved for men.
As far as I know, there are usually two reasons for men to use わ:
1. They speak a dialect where it isn't considered feminine, or,
2. They want to sound feminine.

Now, for more about historical kana usage, the Wikipedia article about it is quite good. 舊字體ト歴史的假名遣ヲ使ヒマセウ!
Reply 199
Kansai-ben uses 'wa' at the end of sentences to indicate the similar sort of thing that 'yo' does in standard Japanese.

Quick Reply

Latest