The Student Room Group

Pharmacy, Paramedic, Nursing or something else?!

A few years ago I left my Pharmacy course for Nursing and recently I've felt like I have been regretting this decision. I took this decision as at the time I wanted to be more clinical, to be more involved with patient care, have more patient interaction and look at the medical side of things, with the possibility of it leading to a nurse practitioner (and prescribing).My main interest lies within anatomy and physiology as well as looking at drugs, I am so interested in medicines and the pharmacology linked to them, I love learning about pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. It's safe to say since starting nursing I have done none of that and I am majorly unhappy with the lack of academic work, (although I would like to do a MSc in something more clinical or even attempt to transfer to medicine) so I have been thinking have I made a big mistake? I am very indecisive HELPPPP (all advice appreciated)I have often thought maybe swapping courses to Paramedic as I enjoy emergency care, but I am in second year of nursing. I think that a reason I have been more confused lately is because I didn't enjoy my main placement. I think nursing has a lot of great options and a varieties of specialities, however, I HATED working on the wards, other places I've been seem to interest me, district nursing, A&E, doctors surgeries, walk in centres and other urgent care departments. I have even been out with paramedics and loved it, just the thought of having to work on a ward makes me want to quit and leave and never look back. I also hear lots of other student nurses saying how much they love it but I just don't feel this way, not when I'm doing ward work anyway.SORRY FOR THIS ESSAY i just require a lot of advice as my brain is scrambled please help.
THANK YOU!! :redface:
Reply 1
My advice would be to finish the nursing degree as you have previously dropped out of another degree. Also I'm guessing you are on an NHS bursary which is something which has now come to an end.
By all means pursue being a paramedic or a doctor post nursing degree graduation if that is something you want to do, but it really doesn't make sense to drop out now.
Reply 2
Original post by sw89
My advice would be to finish the nursing degree as you have previously dropped out of another degree. Also I'm guessing you are on an NHS bursary which is something which has now come to an end.
By all means pursue being a paramedic or a doctor post nursing degree graduation if that is something you want to do, but it really doesn't make sense to drop out now.

Hi :smile:, thanks for your reply, I will take this into consideration I think a lot of the time I just need motivation and feel that a lot of people will knock you down if you have different interests to them e.g. I want to do a Masters and people often say you don't need one to be a good nurse, I understand this but it's just something I want to do.
Thanks for this positive reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending