The Student Room Group

Job in medicine?

I heard that if you study medicine, you'll always most likely have a job and i was just wondering if that's true.
Reply 1
Yes, that is true.
If you're willing to move a lot, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes. But that would be true for most of the allied health professions, too.
Doctors are needed literally everywhere, so yes, it's one of the few things that pretty much guarantees you a job, as long as you can move to where you're needed (although considering the shortages of NHS staff at the moment, you still shouldn't have to move too far).

The website that lets you plug in A level choices and get given certain degrees they will allow you to do (I think it was Which?) gave medicine graduates an employment rate of 99%, whereas pretty much all of the other degrees' employment rates ranged from about 70% to 90%.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Doctors are needed literally everywhere, so yes, it's one of the few things that pretty much guarantees you a job, as long as you can move to where you're needed (although considering the shortages of NHS staff at the moment, you still shouldn't have to move too far).

The website that lets you plug in A level choices and get given certain degrees they will allow you to do (I think it was Which?) gave medicine graduates an employment rate of 99%, whereas pretty much all of the other degrees' employment rates ranged from about 70% to 90%.

Yeah but that's misleading. Everyone is guaranteed a foundation year training spot because of the limitations on med places, for every other degree it's a competitive process and largely driven by supply and demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying medicine is a big plus, but passing the numerous exams are a nightmare. So unless you pass them and bearing in mind the number of years it takes to become a doctor, it is a big sacrifice and you really should want to work in that profession. if it is just about getting a job then don't go down that career path. There are lots of other options.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending