The Student Room Group

Medicine doubts. Unsure if it has enough Maths for me

Hello,

I have been on a rollercoaster in terms of my careers, but finally I recently decided that I wanted to do medicine. However, now I am having doubts again...

This is because of one of my other subject interests: Maths. I love Maths; and it has been my passion from day dot. However, I know with Medicine, the only elements in Maths simply the basics, and therefore I am not sure that I would be happy with this lack of Maths in Medicine.

Therefore, I was thinking of Biochemistry, which has a nice blend of Maths and Science; however, it would mean that I can never become a doctor and apparently research positions are extremely competitive and you are less likely to get a job, in contrast to medicine where you are almost guaranteed a job.

However, even if I did decide to change from Medicine to Biochem (or even Biomed), I have already applied myself so much to Medicine, that I would feel like all I have done to get into Medicine would have been for nothing at the end of the day...
Reply 1
Original post by TwisterBlade596
Hello,

I have been on a rollercoaster in terms of my careers, but finally I recently decided that I wanted to do medicine. However, now I am having doubts again...

This is because of one of my other subject interests: Maths. I love Maths; and it has been my passion from day dot. However, I know with Medicine, the only elements in Maths simply the basics, and therefore I am not sure that I would be happy with this lack of Maths in Medicine.

Therefore, I was thinking of Biochemistry, which has a nice blend of Maths and Science; however, it would mean that I can never become a doctor and apparently research positions are extremely competitive and you are less likely to get a job, in contrast to medicine where you are almost guaranteed a job.

However, even if I did decide to change from Medicine to Biochem (or even Biomed), I have already applied myself so much to Medicine, that I would feel like all I have done to get into Medicine would have been for nothing at the end of the day...

What matters most is which one are you truly passionate about? Which career do you think will make you more happy? If you’re still not sure, try to get some work experience in each field to get a better understanding. You’ve mentioned you have spent a lot of time preparing for Medicine, but you need to ask yourself whether after all this time it’s a career which you will be happy or not in. Are you willing to face all the challenges that come with a career in medicine eg long working hours, many many years of training, lots of exams, less work life balance than many other careers, lifelong learning etc. In the end the most important factor is which career will you be more happy in, not the time you have spent preparing.
Hi there, just letting you know I changed your thread title so people browsing the forum have a better idea of what this thread is about :smile:

@Quireguire gives good advice and I have very little else to address, other than this:

I have already applied myself so much to Medicine, that I would feel like all I have done to get into Medicine would have been for nothing at the end of the day...

And? You don't stick with a wrong decision even if you put effort into it. It's not like it was wasted time anyway. If you decide that Medicine isn't the path for you, then all that effort you've put into Medicine was one of the things that made you realise that it isn't for you. In any case, you don't stick with a wrong decision because you've already put effort into it.

Good luck :smile:
SY
Somebody said in another thread that somebody said (very wisely) something to the effect of: "if you're trying to choose between medicine and another subject, don't choose medicine"
Original post by SilverPebble
Somebody said in another thread that somebody said (very wisely) something to the effect of: "if you're trying to choose between medicine and another subject, don't choose medicine"

Those were the words of ecolier, a former user of the site who left a while back, much to the detriment of TSR. Very wise advice indeed.
Reply 5
Hello,

You're correct - there is very little maths in medical school or in clinical work as a doctor.

There is also not that much maths in biochemistry, which is worth thinking about when you've described it as your "passion since day dot"!

Have you thought about something like biomedical engineering or chemical engineering?
Original post by Quireguire
What matters most is which one are you truly passionate about? Which career do you think will make you more happy? If you’re still not sure, try to get some work experience in each field to get a better understanding. You’ve mentioned you have spent a lot of time preparing for Medicine, but you need to ask yourself whether after all this time it’s a career which you will be happy or not in. Are you willing to face all the challenges that come with a career in medicine eg long working hours, many many years of training, lots of exams, less work life balance than many other careers, lifelong learning etc. In the end the most important factor is which career will you be more happy in, not the time you have spent preparing.

I wouldn't necessarily mind those aspects of Medicine (ie the long hours and the lifelong learning).

I don't think I would know which course I would most enjoy until I am actually in the course (hence why I should look for taster sessions for courses such as Medicine and Biochemistry). Do you know any universities providing upcoming taster sessions for these courses?
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there, just letting you know I changed your thread title so people browsing the forum have a better idea of what this thread is about :smile:

@Quireguire gives good advice and I have very little else to address, other than this:

And? You don't stick with a wrong decision even if you put effort into it. It's not like it was wasted time anyway. If you decide that Medicine isn't the path for you, then all that effort you've put into Medicine was one of the things that made you realise that it isn't for you. In any case, you don't stick with a wrong decision because you've already put effort into it.

Good luck :smile:
SY

Yes that is true. But I think I gave the impression that I made the wrong decision through applying myself to medicine. Genuinely, I do find Medicine interesting and what different types of doctors do on a day-to-day basis.

I think it would be hard to let go of medicine just like that ☹️ . However, it is something I will keep in mind so thank you.
Original post by Democracy
You're correct - there is very little maths in medical school or in clinical work as a doctor.

There is also not that much maths in biochemistry, which is worth thinking about when you've described it as your "passion since day dot"!

Have you thought about something like biomedical engineering or chemical engineering?

I think the extent of Maths in courses like Biochemistry and Biomedical Science depend on the university (but this is something I will research more about).

I have researched biomedical engineering and chemical engineering, but I am not really interested in synthesising new products. Plus, if I wanted to do engineering (except maybe biomedical engineering), I feel like Physics would have been an extremely useful A Level to do (which I did not take).
I think the extent of Maths in courses like Biochemistry and Biomedical Science depend on the university (but this is something I will research more about).

I have researched biomedical engineering and chemical engineering, but I am not really interested in synthesising new products. Plus, if I wanted to do engineering (except maybe biomedical engineering), I feel like Physics would have been an extremely useful A Level to do (which I did not take).

How about just studying maths? Seems like the most straightforward way of accessing your passion.
Reply 11
Why not do a degree in Maths. It is a universal and very employable skill, that can of course be applied to medicine and biological sciences
Reply 12

I disagree with this.
Reply 13
I would say it depends what you want to do long-term as a career. Even if you did biochemistry at university, would you end up in a maths-heavy job for the rest of your life? I'm not convinced biochemistry is much more mathematical than medicine?
How about just studying maths? Seems like the most straightforward way of accessing your passion.

I have originally considered this (which is why I took Further Maths), but there are several reasons why I am uncertain:

I am really interested in Biology, particularly physiology, genetics and the immune system, and I want to explore these further.

This is probably a very bad reason, but most of the unis that I am planning to apply to want A*A*A, where the A*s are in Maths and Further Maths. I am not entirely sure if I would be able to achieve an A* in Further Maths (plus originally wanting to do Biomed/Medicine, I was only planning to do Further Maths as an AS). This may seem to contradict my passion for Maths

This is another bad reason: I feel like a Maths course would be too "Mathsie". I do like Maths, but I am not sure if I would like to do a course solely on Maths. I like having a blend between different subjects (namely Maths and Biology/Chemistry). However, I have come to the realisation that I just have to choose between one or the other.

This links into the third reason, but I feel like I would be too overwhelmed by the complexity of Maths at a university level. Additionally, I feel that everyone around me would be Maths geniuses, but I am certainly not a Maths genius (TT).

Even if I did go into Maths, I am uncertain in regards to my feelings about Maths-related occupations. I have absolutely ruled out jobs such as accounting and finance because I find them extremely boring. I know that Maths can lead you into research, but from what I have researched you spend the majority of your day trying to prove something and making new theories (which I am not interested in). The only Maths-related job I would be interested is actuarial science.

Original post by AF2Dr
I would say it depends what you want to do long-term as a career. Even if you did biochemistry at university, would you end up in a maths-heavy job for the rest of your life? I'm not convinced biochemistry is much more mathematical than medicine?

Even if you did biochemistry at university, would you end up in a maths-heavy job for the rest of your life? No - this is probably a misconception I have had and now am going to leave. To obtain a Maths-heavy job I would need to study Physics, Computing or Maths at university.
I have originally considered this (which is why I took Further Maths), but there are several reasons why I am uncertain:

I am really interested in Biology, particularly physiology, genetics and the immune system, and I want to explore these further.

This is probably a very bad reason, but most of the unis that I am planning to apply to want A*A*A, where the A*s are in Maths and Further Maths. I am not entirely sure if I would be able to achieve an A* in Further Maths (plus originally wanting to do Biomed/Medicine, I was only planning to do Further Maths as an AS). This may seem to contradict my passion for Maths

This is another bad reason: I feel like a Maths course would be too "Mathsie". I do like Maths, but I am not sure if I would like to do a course solely on Maths. I like having a blend between different subjects (namely Maths and Biology/Chemistry). However, I have come to the realisation that I just have to choose between one or the other.

This links into the third reason, but I feel like I would be too overwhelmed by the complexity of Maths at a university level. Additionally, I feel that everyone around me would be Maths geniuses, but I am certainly not a Maths genius (TT).

Even if I did go into Maths, I am uncertain in regards to my feelings about Maths-related occupations. I have absolutely ruled out jobs such as accounting and finance because I find them extremely boring. I know that Maths can lead you into research, but from what I have researched you spend the majority of your day trying to prove something and making new theories (which I am not interested in). The only Maths-related job I would be interested is actuarial science.

It's never a bad idea to take more time and consider your options. Gap years etc can be very valuable. Don't feel like you must do medicine just because you said you would and prepared an application for it.

Regarding point 4 - I doubt this is the case, I'm sure 50% of maths undergraduates will be "below average" for a start. You don't need to be a genius anymore than you need to be one to do medicine.

Good luck with your ultimate decision 🙂
It's never a bad idea to take more time and consider your options. Gap years etc can be very valuable. Don't feel like you must do medicine just because you said you would and prepared an application for it.

Regarding point 4 - I doubt this is the case, I'm sure 50% of maths undergraduates will be "below average" for a start. You don't need to be a genius anymore than you need to be one to do medicine.

Good luck with your ultimate decision 🙂

Thank you for your advice. Hopefully I will make the right decision at the end...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending