The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Current Student Q&A

I am a current 3rd year law student, if you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

Jeremy
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JonnieH
Hey, I will be starting Law in September! Could you tell me a little bit about the course/assignments etc? Also, do a lot of people do law?

Sorry about the delay. Since I started Law the course has changed considerably. as you probably know there is a lot more choice in second year. Generally most modules are still exam based some of which can be very long (3 hours). However in first year there are still numerous coursework components which can be quite nice, you will soon after trying both find your preffered assessment method.

Quite a lot of people, I believe around 300 a year, do the multitude of law courses that are available with the biggest being straight law.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
sorry not interested in Law but yhe university so was wondering how does it seem on a whole what would you say is the best part of it and wat would you say is the worst are the facilities and assessment good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I have a question about Sheffield Fresher's week. Should I buy tickets to some events online (since they keep saying they're the best events and they are selling out) or should i just wait until I'm there, meet my flat mates and go with the flow?

Some unis like Manchester have this like All-in-one fresher's pass that you buy and gives you entry to more/less all fresher's event. Is there something similar in Sheffield?

What was your experience like, what did you do? And what do most people tend to do?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by krowfan
I have a question about Sheffield Fresher's week. Should I but tickets to some events online (since they keep saying they're the best events and they are selling out) or should i just wait until I'm there, meet my flat mates and go with the flow?

Some unis like Manchester have this like All-in-one fresher's pass that you buy and gives you entry to more/less all fresher's event. Is there something similar in Sheffield?

What was your experience like, what did you do? And what do most people tend to do?

Thanks

Don't buy tickets to stuff like F*ck Me It's Freshers or The Big Freshers Icebreaker - they 100% will not sell out and are pretty expensive, and barely anyone goes so it'll just be a waste of money. I will be starting at Sheffield in September, but it's the same for every single uni across the country. The other 'people' that say they've got tickets in all the unofficial freshers groups are just other promoters/fake accounts trying to get some hype going - they're not actually students that will be arriving in September.

When you find out who your flatmates are discuss what you all want to do and go together - it'll be more fun if you all do the same thing, and cheaper if you decide what to do one or two nights before rather than buying a load of stuff in advance and only going to half of the events.

My flat are looking at the official events the union are putting on for the first few nights since we reckon they will be the most popular, then I think after the first weekend we're going to look at stuff on a night by night basis! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
sorry not interested in Law but yhe university so was wondering how does it seem on a whole what would you say is the best part of it and wat would you say is the worst are the facilities and assessment good

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say it is generally a very good university. They academic side iswell delivered, but personally I would prefer more contact time. Assessmentmethods vary from course to course but you will find some that you like. Youwill also probably have some modules, particularly in first year, that youdon't like and hopefully some you will. The facilities are good but just topre-warn you, the libraries have a tendency to get very busy especially closeto assessment deadlines.

Outside of university there are many good nights out and something foreveryone, this can also be said for societies.

The best part for me is the people there, with the worst being my long examshowever not every course has these.

I hope this helps
Reply 6
Original post by krowfan
I have a question about Sheffield Fresher's week. Should I buy tickets to some events online (since they keep saying they're the best events and they are selling out) or should i just wait until I'm there, meet my flat mates and go with the flow?

Thanks

Personally I didn't and wouldn't buy tickets before you know who your flat is or people who are going as you could all end up buying tickets for different things. I was able to meet my flat over facebook so it is likely that you could also do this.

There are also plenty of events going on so it is likely you will find something to do.

I do not know if there is a pass but generally for most people they would not be worth it unless you are planning on going out most nights of freshers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending