The Student Room Group

Considering Msc in Civil Eng. after Chem Eng. Bachelors- Need help

Hi all, I am currently in my final year of my chem eng degree. I have been applying for jobs until now, however no definitive offers or even interviews yet.
I was planning on going into chemical eng. industry after I graduate, or, failing to gain employment, go on to do an MSc.
Problem is I really dont enjoy this degree, and would not find fulfilling to do a masters. I would rather go into employment as a chemical engineer than do a masters to be honest.
I was considering applying to do an MSc in civil eng instead, as I am interested by infrastructure projects and things like bridges, motorways, roads, etc.

My questions are as follows:
1. Can I actually do this? Will I be able to even apply for an Msc in civil eng? I know you need a similar degree, so would chem eng even be applicable?
2. If so, how much basic knowledge would I be missing?
3. Is this a bad idea?
Original post by jognsmithz
Hi all, I am currently in my final year of my chem eng degree. I have been applying for jobs until now, however no definitive offers or even interviews yet.
I was planning on going into chemical eng. industry after I graduate, or, failing to gain employment, go on to do an MSc.
Problem is I really dont enjoy this degree, and would not find fulfilling to do a masters. I would rather go into employment as a chemical engineer than do a masters to be honest.
I was considering applying to do an MSc in civil eng instead, as I am interested by infrastructure projects and things like bridges, motorways, roads, etc.

My questions are as follows:
1. Can I actually do this? Will I be able to even apply for an Msc in civil eng? I know you need a similar degree, so would chem eng even be applicable?
2. If so, how much basic knowledge would I be missing?
3. Is this a bad idea?

1) Probably yes. Check university entry requirements to confirm, but people go from non-engineering - but still mathematical - degrees into engineering MSc degrees, so changing disciplines will probably be too.

2) Unless you did general at the start, pretty much all of it.

3) If you want to move into infrastructure as an engineer then it's a good idea. Would you be open to non-engineering jobs in the infrastructure sector, such as project management? You may be able to get into those roles with your current degree.

And regarding chemical engineering graduate jobs, many are going to either prefer or only accept those with a masters. A BEng only does limit your options and competitiveness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending