The Student Room Group

Medicine - Should i resit AS Level HELP PLEASE

Basically i was doing: Bio Chem Physics & Maths. Long story short. I did't get the grades i wanted I was predicted AABB ended up with CDDD. I was quite distracted, struggled with depression and also may have overloaded myself too much with such challenging subjects. Therefore i was thinking on a fresh start. Perhaps doing Bio Chem Gov& Politics instead of All sciences and maths. I can offically carry on 3 of by subjects to A2 but i feel like that wouldn't be wise considering most medicine applicants would be predicted A*s and As. I feel pretty crappy about myself . I didn't see this coming. If i do decide to go to A2 i can only apply to foundation year medicine courses and i feel like there are only 2-3 that i am eligible to apply to. Also another option is to carry on 2 subjects (bio and chem) to A2 redo Maths and enter for 2018 application. Any one have any tips on what i can do? any tips for re-siting the year 12? How to improve? Any general tips and advice that wouldn't make me feel bad about resitting?. Any help would be appreciated. i feel pretty lonely and sad because i don't even have my parents around me rn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jayeshforce1
Basically i was doing: Bio Chem Physics & Maths. Long story short. I did't get the grades i wanted I was predicted AABB ended up with CDDD. I was quite distracted, struggled with depression and also may have overloaded myself too much with such challenging subjects. Therefore i was thinking on a fresh start. Perhaps doing Bio Chem Gov& Politics instead of All sciences and maths. I can offically carry on 3 of by subjects to A2 but i feel like that wouldn't be wise considering most medicine applicants would be predicted A*s and As. I feel pretty crappy about myself . I didn't see this coming. If i do decide to go to A2 i can only apply to foundation year medicine courses and i feel like there are only 2-3 that i am eligible to apply to. Also another option is to carry on 2 subjects (bio and chem) to A2 redo Maths and enter for 2018 application. Any one have any tips on what i can do? any tips for re-siting the year 12? How to improve? Any general tips and advice that wouldn't make me feel bad about resitting?. Any help would be appreciated. i feel pretty lonely and sad because i don't even have my parents around me rn.

Sciences will be linear exams next year meaning your AS result will not affect what you get at the end of next year. Some Universities do not consider AS results highly as part of an application. Also, if you can make the effort/commitment next year (and show this to your teachers) then they may be able to predict you the grades you want best thing is to seek advice from them. You can also retake Maths modules next year to hopefully increase your overall A Level grade. Your AS results should not prevent you from still studying medicine some applicants won't even have results for the University to look at, if you think you won't be able to achieve the 'right' grades next year then looking at a different course/foundation or gap years may be something to bear in mind. Re-sitting year 12 may be a little pointless as sciences and maths will be linear so your results still won't affect your A2 grades. Good Luck and make sure to get some advice from your teachers.
Original post by Maz A
Sciences will be linear exams next year meaning your AS result will not affect what you get at the end of next year. Some Universities do not consider AS results highly as part of an application. Also, if you can make the effort/commitment next year (and show this to your teachers) then they may be able to predict you the grades you want best thing is to seek advice from them. You can also retake Maths modules next year to hopefully increase your overall A Level grade. Your AS results should not prevent you from still studying medicine some applicants won't even have results for the University to look at, if you think you won't be able to achieve the 'right' grades next year then looking at a different course/foundation or gap years may be something to bear in mind. Re-sitting year 12 may be a little pointless as sciences and maths will be linear so your results still won't affect your A2 grades. Good Luck and make sure to get some advice from your teachers.

What do you think? i should drop. Maths or Physics. Here is a little background into it. I hated physics at the start of the year and wanted to drop it but ended up keeping it. I didn't put as much effort into the subject before the exams maybe just revised for 2 days before the exam and ended up getting a D. Whereas maths i liked it and i done considerably well at mocks etc. I put all my effort into it and only manged to get D. My parents believe that i spent alot of time on maths and that i should consider dropping it. But i am confused as to which one to drop to make my life easier at A2 because they both have their pros and cons. Firstly, if i do take A2 maths i will have to do c3,c4 and s1 on top resit module c1 and m1 because it is modular. Whereas if take A2 Physics i will have to sit 3 EXAMS 2 from AS and 1 from A2 because its linear. I feel like physics i can understand well without as much effort because my mind works visually etc. But maths i have to grind my ass off to get it well. Any tips you can give me? any help again would be appreciated
Reply 3
Original post by jayeshforce1
What do you think? i should drop. Maths or Physics. Here is a little background into it. I hated physics at the start of the year and wanted to drop it but ended up keeping it. I didn't put as much effort into the subject before the exams maybe just revised for 2 days before the exam and ended up getting a D. Whereas maths i liked it and i done considerably well at mocks etc. I put all my effort into it and only manged to get D. My parents believe that i spent alot of time on maths and that i should consider dropping it. But i am confused as to which one to drop to make my life easier at A2 because they both have their pros and cons. Firstly, if i do take A2 maths i will have to do c3,c4 and s1 on top resit module c1 and m1 because it is modular. Whereas if take A2 Physics i will have to sit 3 EXAMS 2 from AS and 1 from A2 because its linear. I feel like physics i can understand well without as much effort because my mind works visually etc. But maths i have to grind my ass off to get it well. Any tips you can give me? any help again would be appreciated

At the end of the day you received the same result for both exams therefore there isn't a great difference between which subject you take (from academic performance). I would say do the subject you enjoy at this stage which by the looks of it seems to be physics, as you don't have to revise as much but do 'well' in it comparatively. However, your University application is very soon so the course you will be applying to should be a priority in terms of which subject you want to drop have a look at the entry requirements of the course you want to do (I do think maths tends to be preferred overall to physics but this is course dependant). At the end of the day, you will have a couple of weeks where you will be able to change your A2 subjects at the start of the year this will give you a chance to get a 'flavour' of the new syllabus and ask for some advice from teachers as to what you want to do. I would say prioritise what course you want to do for making the decision then look at what you perform at better/enjoy; dw you will get a chance to change subject within the first week of school I'm sure. Good luck hope this helps a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending